Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Apr 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Washington to Nashville/Georgia/Carolina - advice?

Looking for tips and advice again from Dibbers.
Last year we went North from Washington - to NYC/Boston/Syracuse/Niagra/Harrisburg and back to Washington - for 3 weeks - loved it - but only have 17 nights this year.

Going early Sept, and will stay arrival night in Washington and the do a loop road trip back to Washington - taking in Nashville and some of the coastal areas of Georgia or Carolina. Want to include a little bit of the Smoky Mountains - do not mind a couple of long all day drives on the trip.

Edited to add - have started searching through the threads here - so Charleston and Savanah areas look nice and interesting.
The masters golf is on the TV just now and I think Augusta National looks fabulous - nut not sure if anything else there interesting to visit - and I guess you could not visit the golf course anyway - and not sure my wife would thank me for that!

Thanks
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 04:56 PM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

I absolutely loved Savannah, fantastic place just to wander round. Asheville NC is the 'in' town in America at the moment if that's of interest!
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

We did a trip last year stayed 4 nights in washington, Then drove down to williamsburg VA via Mount vernon (George Washington's home)
we then stayed in New Burn NC and Myrtle Beach SC (Avoid as its just a resort with slot machines and kiss me quick and someone was murdered outside a bar we were in)
We then travelled inland to Asheville and Cherokee, Visited the smoky mountains Pigeon forge, gatlinburg and onto Nashville.
Any advice on these areas let me know
ps, We went in June mainly for a music festival in Myrtle beach
and arrived in Nashville just after the CMA festival.
We then drove from Nashville to Raleigh, over 500 miles and 8 hours (Not recommended) Very busy all the way and it was a saturday.

Edited at 10:25 AM.
toffeeman0 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Thanks - going to be taking notes on all the advice - very busy at work just now - and will likely be up until we go - last years road trip was my retirement one - but decided to do another year - so this years one another retirement one!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
OK - so sort of getting there but still could use some advice.

Night 1 - Sat - we are staying at Hilton at IAD - we get in about 9 PM
Night 2 - Sun -we are driving to Roanoke along the Blue Ridge Parkway - with a couple of stops
Night 3/4 - Was going to stop in Gaitlinburg/Pigeon Forge for 2 nights and have a look around the area. We had originally planned Charlotte but reading some threads and trip reports not sure about it now.
Night 5/6/7/8 - Nashville - or the surrounding area - TBH not too bothered about staying in City Centre (very expensive) - have seen Franklin recommended. Will go into town at least one day, and thinking about grand Ole Opry.
Night 9 - had planned single night in Atlanta - to break long drive to Savannah Area - not sure what to do here - have not researched anything yet.
Night 10/11/12 - Savannah area - maybe Tybee Island?
Night 13 - one night in Raleigh - again have not researched - but to break long drive to Washington
Night 14/15/16/17 - Washington - we are planning to stay at Tysons Corner like we did last year.

I'll be 58, wife 52. We enjoy walking and sightseeing, and shopping. While I would enjoy museums, my wife would not, and we would not be doing any extreme trail walking, although enjoy walks through woodland and along beaches - but in the woods do not want to meet any bears.
Any advice on condos/resorts around Savannah/Tybee Island would be great.

Any advice on what to see/do or hotels or accommodation will be gratefully received. Really will be trying to avoid £200 and above prices for hotel rooms.

I am off most of this week - so have been starting researching, but only flights (flying 7th Sept) and car and first night hotel booked so far.
Old 6 May 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Definitely stay in East Nashville if you don't mind using AirBnB.They are usually a fraction of the hotel price, As long as there are no big events on in town.The drive along the parkway is very scenic but can get busy in places
Old 6 May 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Thanks - I'd do AirBnB in a flash - but have trouble convincing the boss. Will try again.
Old 8 May 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Thanks - I'd do AirBnB in a flash - but have trouble convincing the boss. Will try again.
Just pick a super host, They are all the best ranked and reviewed hosts.
Stayed in a few in the states and have all been fantastic,
Also great people to get one on one tips and help when needed.
If the location is good i really wouldn't hesitate.
Im staying in one this year in Fort Worth