Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 11 Feb 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Where to start - disabled and dementia

We've been to Disney twice as a family (our boys are 12 & 9) but this time we'll be taking my parents.

My dad has multiple health issues - he has diabetes, Neuropathy in his hands and feet and has just been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia

He struggles to walk and stand for long periods of time which is worrying me! We'll be hiring a scooter once we arrive and will apply for a disabled parking permit before we travel (he's registered as disabled in the uk) but I just wanted to know what else we should be doing (if anything)?

Obviously, we’ll make use of the fastpasses and I’m hoping that going at the end Aug into the beginning of Sept that the parks won’t be too busy.

There are so many threads and talk of DAS, guest assistant etc that I'm a bit unsure if he would qualify for anything or if we’re just going to have to play it by ear when we get there!

Any advice would be much appreciated
123TOPAZ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
How far advanced is his VD?
Old 11 Feb 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
How far advanced is his VD?

He's currently waiting for a second scan but fairly early stages I think. We don't go for another 6 months and so hoping it's not going to be too much of an issue.

I suppose I'm more worried about the mobility than the dementia but that's because I really don't know how quickly its likely to progress - we're noticing changes already

Edited at 04:25 PM.
123TOPAZ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
My advice would be to read all you can on the subject, and in all honesty if it were my dad I would think hard before taking him.

On a different note, do get a DAS card for him certainly.
Old 11 Feb 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
My advice would be to read all you can on the subject, and in all honesty if it were my dad I would think hard before taking him.

On a different note, do get a DAS card for him certainly.
It's something that he's been really looking forward to since we booked last year and tbh more so now he's had the diagnosis. I just want to make sure we're fully prepared and get any help that's available.
Old 11 Feb 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
animal 1970
Dibbing with Tink

I would see how quick his vd progresses before I make any solid plans he might get a bit freaked out on the plane and also the noise of the parks and rides might not be great for him I only know this because I have nursed several patients with vd and they do not like too much change or chaos sorry to be negative but if hes all good still have a great time
animal 1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Have you kept your travel insurers up to date? This may influence your planning.
Old 11 Feb 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Are you sure you want to hire a scooter rather than a wheelchair? My daughter has an electric wheelchair but sometimes feels too overwhelmed to use it in a crowded park. If he is not used to driving one it could be quite difficult for him. Pushing a chair around the park isn't too bad especially if you can take turns.
Old 12 Feb 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Are you sure you want to hire a scooter rather than a wheelchair? My daughter has an electric wheelchair but sometimes feels too overwhelmed to use it in a crowded park. If he is not used to driving one it could be quite difficult for him. Pushing a chair around the park isn't too bad especially if you can take turns.
He uses a scooter as needed here so he's used to one. He definitely wouldn't want to be pushed around in a wheelchair.
Old 12 Feb 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

I'll get my mum to check the insurance as all of his health issues are currently listed but not the VD.

My dad is only 60 so the diagnosis has obviously come as a shock

I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment but we're not considering cancelling the holiday - it's the one thing my dad has got to look forward to. If the dementia does progress quickly then we'll have to reconsider as we get nearer but that would be the worst case scenario.

Any advice on disney and universal assistance, along with scooter hire or getting the most out of our holiday would be much appreciated.