Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 29 Nov 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
A good read. Love the photo frames what a great way to remember every holiday.
I am glad that you liked it. My only issue with the frames is that I think they may have ceased selling them.. I have already purchased the 2019 one, though!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

A really interesting read.
Can you tell me about your hotel in Union Square please? Is it in a good area? Is it safe to wander around at night?

Thankyou.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Sorry I am a few days getting back!

Union Sq was a good area, but like a large amount of San Francisco, there were plenty of homeless in the doorways. I never felt unsafe at any time, night or day. It was most certainly a tourist dominated area.

The Powell cable car worked well for us in getting down to the Fishermens Wharf area and it Union Sq was certainly the place to be (close to the Bay Bridge) when it came to our exit strategy in collecting our hire car.

With hindsight, I would have chosen to be much nearer to Fishermens Wharf and just caught the cable car up to Union Sq in order to look around for a few hours and visit the Cheesecake Factory... but it would have cost a fair bit more!

Hope it helps.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Amazing trip report which I’m sure will help me plan a similar trip

Edited at 12:01 AM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mrs dee View Post
Amazing trip report which I’m sure will help me plan a similar trip
You are very welcome. Should you require any further information, means used to book, prices, spreadsheet, etc etc.. then do not hesitate to ask. I research everything to extremes (a bit of OCD in me) and will research for an hour to save maybe £10. I see it as a challenge!

Old 28 Apr 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
You are very welcome. Should you require any further information, means used to book, prices, spreadsheet, etc etc.. then do not hesitate to ask. I research everything to extremes (a bit of OCD in me) and will research for an hour to save maybe £10. I see it as a challenge!
Thanks so much
Having a chat to dh the other night and he’s really keen to look at this. Technically I’d be booking flights next summer so this gives me year to investigate read trip reports. The main thing I know is we must do San Francisco, happy to see the sights in LA but not sure I want to stay there ( the day trip sounds perfect ) - love the idea of both Santa Monica and San Diego.
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Thanks for writing and sharing your trip.

Lots of useful info for DH and my trip to Southern Ca. this summer. (He had already planned the air museums at Palm Springs, Balboa Park and the USS Midway! )
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Thanks for writing and sharing your trip.

Lots of useful info for DH and my trip to Southern Ca. this summer. (He had already planned the air museums at Palm Springs, Balboa Park and the USS Midway! )
You are very welcome (maybe). Tell him that Castle AFB was outstanding. My darling wife could fairly be described as astonished as she viewed the spectacular Convair B58 Hustler... or maybe not.
He might also have an interest in my trip this summer to USS Intrepid (wife permitting) and the USAF Museum at Dayton Ohio. How I negotiated that delight is anybody’s guess!

Old 10 May 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jo21977
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Day 12. Harbourside, bay cruises , USS Midway and the Topgun bar. 'Sitting on the dock of the bay'... 😅

Another beautiful blue sky day and we were parked up right next to USS Midway at 0930. $10 for 12 hours, right where you want to be on the dockside wharf. Great value and easy to find.

We were allowed one x boat tour on any one day with Hornblower cruises on our Gosandiego5 (right next to the Midway) we duly took the 0945, one hour going north. The large, stable boat went towards the bay entrance and turned to port (note the nautical phrase), next to the submarine base (3 in dock), before returning down the side of North Island NAS. 250 aircraft are based there and we must have seen well in excess of 100 on the pan. The commentary was excellent.

A Los Angeles class Nuclear Attack Submarine (on the off chance that any DIBBER would be remotely interested)

As we docked, I commented to one of the crew that I would have to return tomorrow in order to go on the South trip. She replied 'it's no problem, just stay on board'.. (which was exactly what I had intended her to say) and so we did. The South trip went under the Coronado bridge and the skipper gave a superb run down of the US Navy ships in port, their function and histories. The ship turned and returned to the dockside. This had been an absolutely brilliant 2 hours (and I think that the talk included a bit of non military stuff also, about the bridge, airport, buildings, wildlife and stuff, but I will have to ask my wife).

A Bridge spanning a 1.8 mile gap. Curved to 80 degrees in order to make it 2.2 miles long in order to thus get Federal funding. (It seems that its not only us that have strange rules).

Mandie enjoying the cruise.

USS Midway was in superb condition and had a comprehensive set of US Navy aircraft on board, in generally excellent state of repair. There is a very good trail through the ship with an included audio guide.
Two not to be missed highlights on the flight deck are a lecture on landing on a carrier and a further one on catapult take offs. Both were given by former USN Pilots and whilst they sound technical, they were in layman terms and with accompanying video support, next to an aircraft simulating a landing (A4) and an aircraft prepared for catapult launch (A6). Both informative and entertaining.

An E2C Hawkeye airborne early warning aircraft.

That was it! Time to move on and eat. There was only one place appropriate and that was the Kansas City BBQ, A couple of blocks away and next to Seaport Village. For the uninitiated, this is the bar in Top Gun where Goose played 'Great balls of Fire' on the piano and his 'chick', Meg Ryan said 'Hey Goose you big stud, Take me to bed or lose me forever'... not the sort of place where you would expect to meet Meg at all. It looked run down and shabby. The food was surprisingly, very good and excellent value. It is a mock sleazy bar, although very child friendly and packed with memorabilia. Again, not to be missed.

Mandie pretending that she is Meg Ryan.

A great day.. and then wine o'clock at Mission Beach!
Hey, we're headed back to California this summer and are doing San Diego this time, interested if you can remember the name of the car park next to the Midway? I can only find car parks that allow 2-4 hrs parking but would like to explore a little more in that area!
Old 12 May 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

There is parking located on Navy Pier. This lot is owned and operated by the Port of San Diego for passenger vehicles only. No RV parking.

Parking rates are generally between $10 – $20 subject to change at the discretion of Ace Parking and the Port of San Diego. Parking rates generally increase for special events and holidays

This was cut’n’pasted from USS Midway. The parking can be seen immediately adjacent to the starboard side of the ship. We stayed there all day.

Hoping it helps you,