Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Apr 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
I cannot find the exact one right now, it might not still rent out but this is in the same complex about doors away. We used VRBO to book it. The one we rented was on the end. The sun sets right out in front of you.

vrbo/720671

Edited. I just have to pop out but will post some photos and list some places to visit while there.
That’s fantastic, thank you so much, I’m going to have a look now 👍😁
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pink glitter View Post
Wow, that sounds lovely, I will have a look at Airbnb.
Did you do a trip to th volcano? My hubby is particularly interested in that 😁
We did! It would have been a much more interesting spectacle six months earlier but we saw it after it had gone ‘quiet’.
Old 24 Apr 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

Ok so the beach I mentioned for snorkelling is very close to the place we rented. Its called Kahaluu Beach Park and its small so can get busy but we really enjoyed it. Details...

hawaiisnorkelingguide...norkeling.html

A great place to walk and see wildlife is Kaloko-Honokōhau National Historical Park. This is a protected area that is a great place to visit to see turtles especially. This one was recommended by a travel agent who had been there and it was worth the visit.

nps.gov/kaho/index.htm

The Volcano park you mentioned, again, its a bit of a trip but you can literally see the lava. However, if you are unlucky like us and the wind is blowing the wrong way the parks service will close the viewing route. Also, increased activity will close it for obvious reasons. There is a rain forest walk near by too.

The best day of this or any trip was the day we went out in a submarine in the morning in Kona, snorkelled after lunch and then drove to the top on Mauna Kea to the observatories and visitor centre to watch the sun come down with free hot chocolate You have to stop at the visitors centre if you have anyone under 16 or with nedical issues as to continue to the top means even less oxygen. When driving you can feel the car struggle with the lower burn. Once it gets fully dark you wonder why there are some cloud still in the sky even though you are above it. Turns out its the Milky way galaxy stretching from one horizon to the others. Its breathtaking. From over 30 degrees at the beach it was -1 at the top. Just the most perfect day and I really hope to do it again sometime.

Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Edited at 05:06 PM.
Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Wow, thank you for all that information, it looks and sounds amazing, I am even more excited now 😀. I looked at the link to the accommodation and it looks fabulous, just what we’re looking for. Thank you so much for all of your help xx
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I don’t think you can see lava currently at VNP, at least, you couldn’t when we were there five months ago and the national parks website suggests it’s still the case.

A few other quick thoughts:

You really do need a car but driving around is extremely easy and immensely fun.

We spent a day touring various waterfalls / rainforests (Hawaii has lots of different microclimates) including Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls. We did some challenging but breathtaking hikes.

Lots of lovely beaches including black sand beach (not so lovely to look at but the turtles were fab).

The views everywhere are stunning.

I will dig out my notes for where we went, I will get the spelling wrong if I don’t!

One of our favourite places was the National Park ‘Place Of Refuge’ which just felt like a wonderfully spiritual location.

nps.gov/puho/index.htm

Edited at 11:33 PM.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I don’t think you can see lava currently at VNP, at least, you couldn’t when we were there five months ago and the national parks website suggests it’s still the case.

A few other quick thoughts:

You really do need a car but driving around is extremely easy and immensely fun.

We spent a day touring various waterfalls / rainforests (Hawaii has lots of different microclimates) including Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls. We did some challenging but breathtaking hikes.

Lots of lovely beaches including black sand beach (not so lovely to look at but the turtles were fab).

The views everywhere are stunning.

I will dig out my notes for where we went, I will get the spelling wrong if I don’t!

One of our favourite places was the National Park ‘Place Of Refuge’ which just felt like a wonderfully spiritual location.

nps.gov/puho/index.htm
Thank you for all your advice Karen, very helpful. My hubby is hoping that the visibility will be better by April so we can see the lava, he’s also heard you can do a boat trip to see the lava so I’ll look into that too.

We will definitely be hiring a car, we want to see and do as much as we possibly can while we’re there and everything you describe sounds amazing.

Thank you so much for your great advice, it is really helping me with my planning xxx