Notices

View Poll Results: Should I pay for the DDP or not?
Yes 22 22.45%
No, put the money on a currency card 67 68.37%
Other - Please specify 9 9.18%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jan 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Question regarding DDP - What would you do?

Not sure what to do with DDP, looking for opinions.

Given that the $ has risen this week if I were to purchase the DDP in the US (DVC Owner) it now works out around £1530 which is over £100 cheaper than it was a couple of weeks ago. If I buy it now I secure that price.

Or, do I buy a currency card and stick the same money on it and just pay as I go for dining?

I know some of you don't like buying the DDP as it's not good value for money and paying OOP for each meal works out better value.

What would you do?

Edited at 09:19 PM.
act1980 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I voted currency card as unless you dine in a very specific way (i.e. only choosing the highest value items and using every single credit) the paid for DDP usually makes the most financial sense for Disney rather than the guests.

Try the dining calculator for what you would normally eat and see what works out best. distripplanner
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jojo
Imagineer

Jojo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 23
I'd sit down and work out what table service meals you plan on doing. We paid for DDP in October as we worked out the meals we planned to pay for OOP were going to add up to similar to the DDP without even considering the snacks...
Old 24 Jan 18, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
IlDivoette
Imagineer

IlDivoette's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I voted for currency card, we have done DDP twice and will be this may, but only when it was free. My thoughts are that you can try lots of the new different quick service places and snacks without being tied to pre booked meals. Think I would like to just eat anywhere and everywhere when we go in the future.

Highlands Reserve-03/West Haven-04/Calabay Park-06/Aviana-07/Legacy Park-08/Watersong & HRH-10
Marco Island 12/SSR 12/Lake Berkley12 / PBH 2015 / SSR 2015 / Solterra 2015 / YC 2018
IlDivoette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I voted other. TIW card is my other option. I don't like the currency card so couldn't vote for that.

I am currently wresting with the same problem with my ADR date approaching soon. TIW card was going to be my choice but with 12 of us I am thinking that the buffet/family style restaurants which are really expensive would suit the children better and would possibly make the DDP a better fit. At current exchange rate we would be looking at £6570 ish.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I voted other - we never buy the dining plan on our DVC stays. We have had both the QS and DDP on previous cash stays though.

I don’t like currency cards either and use my post office credit card for all our spending (no exchange fee). We find that we never spend anywhere near the cost of the dining plan even paying the inflated Disney food prices.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
I voted other - we never buy the dining plan on our DVC stays. We have had both the QS and DDP on previous cash stays though.

I don’t like currency cards either and use my post office credit card for all our spending (no exchange fee). We find that we never spend anywhere near the cost of the dining plan even paying the inflated Disney food prices.
That's my vote too.
There's rarely any value in paying for the dining plan and I'm not a fan of pre-loaded currency cards
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Not sure what to do with DDP, looking for opionins.

Given that the $ has risen this week if I were to purchase the DDP in the US (DVC Owner) it now works out around £1530 which is over £100 cheaper than it was a couple of weeks ago. If I buy it now I secure that price.

Or, do I buy a currency card and stick the same money on it and just pay as I go for dining?

I know some of you don't like buying the DDP as it's not good value for money and paying OOP for each meal works out better value.

What would you do?
if you are an uber geek like me

go here

distripplanner/

and fill it all in.

It will answer your question definitively.

pm

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I know it won’t be the popular choice but we like having DDP so I’d probably buy it.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

I love DDP but if I had to pay for it i'm not sure i'd want it. Can you make 2 dvc bookings, get the DDP for one part of your 'stay' and then pay OOP for the other half?

We are taking some money on a Transferwise debit card - excellent exchange rates and like having an american bank account - or any other bank card, its borderless.
Disney Magic Northern Europe - Summer 2022, Disney Magic Staycation, Tilbury - 2021, 2019 - WDW POFQ and Lake Berkley Resort , 2015 - DLP Cheyenne Hotel, 2012 - DLP Hotel L'Elysee, 2010 - DLP Hotel New York, 2008 - DLP Santa Fe, 2006 - WDW AKL and POFQ and offsite at Indian Ridge,, 2005 - WDW Offsite Windward Cay
Eloise73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List