Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dogwalker View Post
Welcome home Mrs!
Hope the first day back at work isn't too awful
I'll let you know once I've actually been back...

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Welcome home! Hope your first day went ok and can't wait to follow your trippie! X
Didn't make it back to work yesterday as I seem to have picked up some kind of bug so currently at home sick

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Welcome home, now make with the food photos
Yes sir!

Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
Welcome back!

Excited to read all about it.
Thanks, first review coming right up

Originally Posted by Ycryan View Post
Welcome back, love your photo teasers and can't wait to start reading your food trip report. x
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy it.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Who Even Eats Kale Anyway?

Saturday 18th August – Pre-travel Day

After an eventful train journey to Gatwick, we were all starving and headed straight for dinner at our go-to place, The Nicholas Culpeper, situated at the North Terminal.

We ordered drinks first – a Cosmo for me, cider for Gary and Rhiannon, Budweiser for Ben and Diet Coke (is Pepsi OK?) for Daniel. Rhiannon was asked for ID – this became the norm. I think there was only one time, during the whole holiday, when she wasn’t asked for it.

Cheers!

Gary was hangry and getting quite frustrated with me as I couldn’t make up my mind what I wanted, so kept sending our waiter away. He told me if I wasn’t ready the next time he came, everyone else was ordering and I would have to make a snap decision or starve!

So, we finally ordered.

Me – Chicken and Bacon Club Burger without the relish and mayonnaise

Gary – The Complete Works Breakfast

Rhiannon – Steak & Ale Pie

Ben – Macaroni Cheese with added Bacon Bits and a side of Onion Rings

Daniel – Chicken, Ham & Leek Pie

There was a little bit of a delay in getting the food and we were all completely starving by the time it arrived, but it was fresh and hot. Rhiannon loved the gravy that came with her pie and asked if she could get more. They brought her out a big bowl of it.

Ben and I ordered more drinks – another Cosmo for me, and Bud for Ben. They certainly make a good Cosmo here – nice and limey, just how I like it.

It’s fair to say everybody loved the food. Rea said the gravy was the best gavy she's ever had. She was pretty happy with her choice. I think her plate speaks for itself.

Final scores (out of 10):

Joh - 7 (chicken a little dry, bun slightly stale)
Gary - 8 (needed more chips!)
Rea - 9.5 (due to the presence of kale)
Ben - 7 (quite good but has had better)
Daniel - 7.5 (who even eats kale anyway?)

Atmosphere: 7 (quite noisy and food took a while)
Service - 8 (a little slow but he did bring more gravy, which was great)

Total cost - £95.04 (after 15% discount on food bill, through MyGatwick). Gary paid for dinner, not out of the holiday dining budget.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh no I hope your feeling better soon.

Fab pre travel meals. Those pies look lovely! I love a good pie, in fact that's what I'll be having tonight xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Great start looking forward to this especially the Moccorita or whatever it was called as that is really up my street.
Old 6 Sep 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Saving Myself For Friendly's

Sunday 19th August - Travel Day

Jamie’s Italian

For breakfast, we had decided to head to Jamie’s Italian. We tend to eat at the same places at Gatwick, and this is no exception. We’ve always found it to be good food. Whenever we have strayed away, we had been disappointed (yes, I’m talking about YOU Garfunkels) so we stick with what we know.

Despite the early hour, Rea and I decided to start the holiday in style and ordered Bellinis. I had wanted the Blood Orange Bellini but they were out of the Blood Orange Juice, so I had to settle for Peach. Gary had tea, Daniel opted for diet coke and Ben ordered a cappuccino.

We all ordered food as follows.

Me – Bacon Bun with no butter

Gary – Sausage Bun plus toast and jam (no picture)

Rhiannon – Pancakes with bacon

Ben – Full Monty

Daniel – Monty Bun

The food was pretty good. Service was spotty. They didn’t bring the jam for Gary’s toast, and it took a while to find somebody to get it for us. Then we had difficulty getting the attention of our waitress to ask for the bill. When we did call her, she had her back to us and hesitated before turning around with a big smile on her face. Rea said it was almost as if she’d mumbled something rude under her breath, before she turned around (which I’m sure she didn’t but that was how it looked because of the hesitation).

Ben had generously offered to pay the bill today, since Gary covered dinner last night. The total cost was £65.35 and we left £5 tip.

Plane Food

What is there to say? I skipped lunch as I was saving myself for Friendly’s later. Gary and Daniel both had the sausage and mash.

Daniel said the sausages were tasty, with a bit of a kick, but the mash was bland. Dessert was a Passion Fruit Gu Pudding. Passion Fruit? Really? I don’t have much passion for passion fruit.

Meanwhile, I got juice for my vodka – and more vodka. Hic!

Mini twisters were given out halfway through the flight. Bring back my Fabs!

Afternoon tea consisted of a cheese and tomato chutney sandwich, with Honey, Butter and Sea Salt flavour crisps and a nougat bar. I gave all of mine to Gary #savingmyselfforfriendlys

I did get another OJ for the last of my vodka though. Hic!

Friendly’s

Friendly’s is a firm family favourite of ours. It’s no frills, cheap and cheerful eats. It is not fine dining but that is fine by us and just what we all wanted this evening anyway.

We were seated straight away, the place being fairly empty at this early hour (about 5.30).

First, we ordered drinks –Friendly’s is alcohol free so Gary, Daniel and I had sodas (diet cokes) and Rea had strawberry lemonade. Ben ordered bottled water.

For appetiser, we shared the mini mozzarella sticks. They were gooey, hot and delicious.

Then, for mains, we had….

Me – Honey BBQ Chicken Melt – hold the ranch!

Gary – Crispy Chicken Salad

Rhiannon – Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

Ben – All American Burger with Cheese

Daniel – Turkey Club Melt

Daniel and Gary also ordered Fribble Shakes for dessert. No idea why I don't have pictures of these. they were super thick and delicious though.

Final scores:
Joh – 8
Gary – 8
Rea – 7.5 (strawberry lemonade was very good)
Ben – 6 (good burger but not the best)
Daniel – 8 (would have been higher but there was tomato in the sandwich)

Atmosphere: 5 (cheap and cheerful, but tired and a bit grimy. A balloon modeller made an awesome Mickey Mouse balloon, which bumped it up from a 4 to a 5)
Service: – 8

Total cost - $82.82 before tip, $100.00 with tip
Total remaining on FairFX - $2900.00 ($150 under budget)

Edited at 07:32 PM.
Old 6 Sep 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Really enjoying so far
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great eats 👍👍. Not too many cocktails on your first day😉
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Yay you've started! Hope you are feeling a bit better
By the way ... I really like kale
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

The food at Friendlys looks good! Love how you were saving yourself for it the whole plane journey lol
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Really enjoying so far
Glad you are enjoying - hoping to get the next day up this evening

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Great eats 👍👍. Not too many cocktails on your first day😉
I was pretty restrained, but still don't think I did too bad for a travel day

Originally Posted by Dogwalker View Post
Yay you've started! Hope you are feeling a bit better
By the way ... I really like kale
Back to work today, for real - ugh! Of course you like kale - weirdo

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
The food at Friendlys looks good! Love how you were saving yourself for it the whole plane journey lol
I know, I kept saying that I wasn't going to eat anything because I was saving myself for friendly's. I may have munched on a few Pringles, but I was honestly starving by the time we got there. It was well worth it though.