Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 3 Feb 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Clueless
New Poster (4)

Mobile First timers & feeling a tad overwhelmed!

I’m sure this is a really common feeling when in the eye of the Disney/Orlando planning storm, but boy do I feel a little overwhelmed being the family’s main organiser!

We go on 29th March for 11 nights, staying offsite (near Old Town) with Virgin. I’ve heard it’s all about the planning, which I’m trying to do but the more I plan the more confused I become!
This is a rough itinerary-
Day 1 - Animal Kingdom
Day 2- Hollywood Studios
Day 3- Magic Kingdom
Day 4 - pool day, mini golf
Day 5- Epcot
Day 6- water park
Day 7- Gatorland & shopping
Day 8- Magic Kingdom
Day 9- Epcot
Day 10- back to one of the parks

From there, then book FP when open for us. Phew.

Main decisions made - main focus on Disney as kids are 4 & 9 & just don’t thinks with the 10 full days we will squeeze a day in at Universal.

I’d really appreciate feedback on how manageable the itinerary is?! And sensible decisions about parks?
This is even before I’ve started planning meals, etc!
Clueless is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello Clueless. Welcome to the dibb.

It sounds like you have made a good start with planning. I appreciate it can all feel very overwhelming to be the planner. But a bit of effort now will pay dividends later.

I suggest you have a go at doing a planner. This will give you a good idea of the time available to you.

Then look at your planned dates against the busy day guide and try to avoid going to a park on a red day.

Personally if busy day guide allows I would aim for a pool/waterpark non main park day on day 3. This is often the day when littles fall over with tiredness. Plan a down day here and it will help.

Edited at 09:57 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I suggest buying the brits guide to Orlando as well, as that’s really helpful. Use this forum, read trip reports of those with similar aged children.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Also, don’t under-estimate jet lag. You’ll most likely be up very early on the first couple of days, so can hit a park early doors. However, you (and especially the children) will likely tire earlier on in the day than usual, so bear that in mind. It usually takes us about 4 days to adjust. Try and fit in a trip to Disney Springs as well if you can - could be on one of your chill out days or an evening.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi, it can be very daunting planning even when you have done it a few times.

I would suggest with children of 4 and 9 just to plan a few early FP if you can as you will need down time, and don't plan too much or try to squeeze too much in. When you are there expect your plans to change with the little ones.

Use the planner available on here it helps considerably and you can print it too.

Whatever you do have fun and enjoy it and come back an addict like the rest of us. What you don't get done this time you can do next time
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Take note of when the weekend is as the parks will be much busier, especially MK.
Have a list of your must do rides and would like to do rides
Old 3 Feb 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The only comment that I would forward is that as first timers with children of 4 and 9, I would hit them with Magic Kingdom at rope drop with the train of characters arriving and the walk through to the Disney Castle.
On a first visit, it is rather amazing as you take in the fact that in your case you have finally got there and theirs, that the 'magic' has arrived.

The entry to Animal Kingdom is rather subdued in comparison.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I’m sure this is a really common feeling when in the eye of the Disney/Orlando planning storm, but boy do I feel a little overwhelmed being the family’s main organiser!

We go on 29th March for 11 nights, staying offsite (near Old Town) with Virgin. I’ve heard it’s all about the planning, which I’m trying to do but the more I plan the more confused I become!
This is a rough itinerary-
Day 1 - Animal Kingdom
Day 2- Hollywood Studios
Day 3- Magic Kingdom
Day 4 - pool day, mini golf
Day 5- Epcot
Day 6- water park
Day 7- Gatorland & shopping
Day 8- Magic Kingdom
Day 9- Epcot
Day 10- back to one of the parks

From there, then book FP when open for us. Phew.

Main decisions made - main focus on Disney as kids are 4 & 9 & just don’t thinks with the 10 full days we will squeeze a day in at Universal.

I’d really appreciate feedback on how manageable the itinerary is?! And sensible decisions about parks?
This is even before I’ve started planning meals, etc!
So a few tips which I hope helps.
1) be careful about taking to many tips...can further confuse !
2) it is helpful to have a plan but it is only a plan - things will change when out there, particularly with small kids, so it can be changed!
3) your itinerary is fine overall - we will all have views but it would work. With small children, avoiding Universal this time around is right.
4) we quite often go to the parks early and when the kids get tired or a park gets busy later in the day come away for a rest and a swim. You can always go back later.
5) factor in fireworks - arguably the best two are Magic Kingdom and the Fantasmic show at HS. So you will be late home - think about not doing much early the next day. My point 4 might help - so we have gone early to MK gone home for lunch and the afternoon and gone back early eve for the fireworks
6) very personally - not sure with small children you will need to do Epcot over two days. But this is why the plan should be flexible - keep it in and go back if you love it or don’t if not! Definitely two days for MK..
7) someone else posted about maybe doing MK day 1 - again a personal view but agree totally. You will all be up so early and so to get to the magic kingdom at rope drop is totally magical for all.
8) Disney Springs is free and fun and has the biggest of Disney stores. Try and spend time there - early eve is best we find as it does get very busy.
8) Have a fantastic time - you will love it no matter what order you do everything...

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
princemarkie
Trying for More Ears

we are very lucky and have just completed our 7th trip...we had a plan with spreadsheet, times, attractions etc...but that went out the window (again) from day 4...it is a big trip and dont waste a second of it by sleeping swimming or sleeping... start off quiet park like AK, then HS...then hit the parks hard...doesnt work for everybody but thats our plan... seaworld is another good start as is only half a day really...jet lag hits us on return not going as going back in time seems ok
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
OllieT
Imagineer

OllieT's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mseagle View Post
So a few tips which I hope helps.
1) be careful about taking to many tips...can further confuse !
2) it is helpful to have a plan but it is only a plan - things will change when out there, particularly with small kids, so it can be changed!
3) your itinerary is fine overall - we will all have views but it would work. With small children, avoiding Universal this time around is right.
4) we quite often go to the parks early and when the kids get tired or a park gets busy later in the day come away for a rest and a swim. You can always go back later.
5) factor in fireworks - arguably the best two are Magic Kingdom and the Fantasmic show at HS. So you will be late home - think about not doing much early the next day. My point 4 might help - so we have gone early to MK gone home for lunch and the afternoon and gone back early eve for the fireworks
6) very personally - not sure with small children you will need to do Epcot over two days. But this is why the plan should be flexible - keep it in and go back if you love it or don’t if not! Definitely two days for MK..
7) someone else posted about maybe doing MK day 1 - again a personal view but agree totally. You will all be up so early and so to get to the magic kingdom at rope drop is totally magical for all.
8) Disney Springs is free and fun and has the biggest of Disney stores. Try and spend time there - early eve is best we find as it does get very busy.
8) Have a fantastic time - you will love it no matter what order you do everything...

This is great advice, I would add in that when planning I liked to break my day into 3 pieces and treat each one individually. When planning on seeing fireworks remember that if toy go into the park at 4 and leave at 11 you have still done 7 hours in a park so to have pool/villa/washing/grocery time the rest of that day would still be a full day.
Don’t consider a water park day as down time, they are as if not more active than some park days!
My final comment would be to ditch gatorland