Notices

Old 28 Feb 19, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Argentina: Summer In Winter - Spring 2019: Day 5 - Buenos Aires Recoleta

So yesterday's entry ended with us boarding our Norwegian Airlines flight back to BA. I can't tell you much more about the flight as I fell asleep. O said that he didn't see any of the cabin crew!

We landed at 1.37am - the airport was surprisingly busy. The next flight out was at 4.20am and we were the only flight that had recently landed. Luggage was through quickly and we got a taxi (who drive like he was Arton Senna!). We were at the Urban Suites Recoleta hotel by 2.20am! Check in was quick. By 2.30am we were in bed, hoping for a lie-in!

Unfortunately, I woke at 7.10 and O around 8! We each had a shower and I got the still damp waterproofs out on the balcony to dry!

We went down to the buffet breakfast. This was included in the rate! Photo fail here!

I had scrambled eggs on toast with coffee and orange juice whilst O had croissants, jam and lots of juice! We discussed our plans. O wanted to go the the Museum of Fine Arts and the Latin American Art museum. Both were nearby!

After breakfast our first stop was Recoleta Cemetery - famous for being where Eva Peron was buried. Away from the entrance it was a calm and peaceful place - though a bit of a rabbit warren!

We only found Eva's resting place by following other people! Her coffin is buried far below to prevent anyone getting at it!

Even O, who had no real knowledge of her found the whole experience touching.

After we made our way to what we thought was the Fine Arts Museum...

It wasn't - it was the Faculty of Law! It seemed a lot of Presidents had studied here! As you can see, it was very impressive!

As we were on the right side of the road, we walked along to the UN Plaza where there is this enormous flower. It apparently opens at sunrise and closes at sunset!

Then we had a big fail - we walked across to the Museum and happily stood there as it opened at 11 - it was 5 to! Then we waited and at 11.05 we realized that in fact it was closed for renovations - there was an enormous sign on the door!

We decided we would get our Art fix at MALBA - the Latin American Art Museum. It was about a 15m walk. When we got there we realized that it opened at 12! The cafe was open though!

O had a fruit smoothie and a chocolate truffle cake. Both were delicious though the cake was very rich (I tested it )

I had a lemon and ginger drink and a very nice cinnamon croissant.

The total was about 600 pesos - about 14 euros.

We were quite stuffed so decided to go to the Japanese Gardens first which were 5 minutes up the road.

This was 300 pesos to get in. It was a circular walk and a very peaceful place to be.

The lake had fish in it and you could have been in Japan. We really enjoyed just walking around. O hadn't realised that J and I had visited there before he was born!

We returned to Malba. As it was a Wednesday, O was free and my entrance was just 85 pesos!

Only one floor was open but we happily wandered around. I liked the 3D effect on this 1930's interpretation of the Rio Carnival.

But for the life of me, who pays for what is effectively two black boards - even I could manage that! There were quite a few -what the heck is that - moments

Overall though we really enjoyed our visit! I can't spend hours looking at art work but I do enjoy a short 1-2 hour tour!

We decided to gave lunch back in the cafe! I started with a mint lemonade! O had another smoothie!

I had avocado on toast - delicious!

O had salmon bagel and fries - this also hit the spot!

We were now tired so decided to head back for a nap! I managed about 90 minutes! O about an hour!

We decided we would stay local - firstly we walked around the outside of the Cemetery.

We did think of eating at Hard Rock Cafe but after buying some magnets in a souvenir shop we found a restaurant just near the hotel - Bullers.

I had a mint and ginger lemonade. O just had water!

O had a pizza which restored his faith in Argentinian pizzas!

I had a quinoa burger with fries! It was again delicious! At least today we have eaten well!

As we had another early start tomorrow we headed back to the hotel, got everything ready and set our alarms for 5.30am! Lights went out at 9pm!

Edited at 11:05 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 28 Feb 19 11:53 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Shame the museum was closed but otherwise a nice day of sightseeing.. do like a good cemetery trip !
Those gardens sound just perfect and hurrah for decent food.
Am glad hotel was ok too after that very late/ very early arrival time !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Shame the museum was closed, but the Japanese gardens looked beautiful. We saw the musical Evita last year and I found it very moving, Georgia had no knowledge of Eva Peron before we saw it either but found her story fascinating.

I zoomed in on the black canvas to see if I had missed something 😂 . I just don’t get it, but I do love a wander around a good art museum. The Met in New York is our favourite, great art in a beautiful building.

Your food looks good today, especially O’s pizza . Good to see you can get tasty vegetarian food in Argentina too.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Shame the museum you wanted to go to was closed, but you filled your day well and enjoyed what you did see

Joan
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Shame the museum was closed but otherwise a nice day of sightseeing.. do like a good cemetery trip !
Those gardens sound just perfect and hurrah for decent food.
Am glad hotel was ok too after that very late/ very early arrival time !
I made sure that we could check in so very late and put it on our booking but I was a bit worried

It was a nice relaxed day which we needed!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Shame the museum was closed, but the Japanese gardens looked beautiful. We saw the musical Evita last year and I found it very moving, Georgia had no knowledge of Eva Peron before we saw it either but found her story fascinating.

I zoomed in on the black canvas to see if I had missed something 😂 . I just don’t get it, but I do love a wander around a good art museum. The Met in New York is our favourite, great art in a beautiful building.

Your food looks good today, especially O’s pizza . Good to see you can get tasty vegetarian food in Argentina too.
No - they really were just black canvases!

I loved the musical but it must have been 30 odd years since I saw it!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Shame the museum you wanted to go to was closed, but you filled your day well and enjoyed what you did see

Joan
The day certainly was enjoyable (and we ate well for every meal )

Index of my trip reports
Old 5 Mar 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Shame about the museum being closed but glad you got to see some art - even if some of it was a bit strange!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Shame about the museum being closed but glad you got to see some art - even if some of it was a bit strange!
I just don’t understand how people can say it is art!

Index of my trip reports