Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 Mar 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Get your membership magic folks!

Well, I am gobsmacked.

DVC are offering a membership magic 'perk' which is 2.5 hours (from 6pm) at a Star Wars event on World Showcase.

I thought it would be free, or a nominal sum. I nearly fell off my chair when I read this:

"The cost per person is $225 for adults (ages 21 and up) and $210 for guests (ages 3-20) including tax and gratuity, and separate theme park admission is required. Eligible DVC Members can book this experience for themselves plus as many as 5 guests per membership. Reservations can be made online or by calling DVC Member Services."

So I'd need theme park tickets and I'd have to spend $900 on top to attend a Star Wars 'party' for 2.5 hours.

This is absolutely disgraceful pricing. Will people be daft enough to pay, or will it flop as it deserves to.

Seems Disney sees DVC owners as a bottomless pit of money.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Just seen this, Stu posted about it... as I said there... k-ching..

The spiraling cost of disney is very saddening

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The way I see people spending money in the Parks with VIP tours etc etc I lay odds this event is a sell out

I love seeing people succeed in life and become better off. I also like to see companies become successful as that leads to employment opportunities and happy shareholders.

There does come a time though where the pursuit of profit becomes vomit inducing. Disney have already gone well beyond that stage.

How do I view them now compared to circa 2 years ago?

With utter contempt and disdain.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I know it sounds silly but it just makes me so sad. I'm so lucky to have been as many times as I have and I never thought i'd feel like this about it. I was just saying to DH this morning on the way into work how people going now for the first time, it really is more likely once in a lifetime, the average won't be able to go back again and again like we have done. I just hate how they are constantly adding things on and for large amounts as money as well.. the prices are eye watering. My first park ticket was £100 for a 4 day hopping no expiry ticket... absolute bargain, and I know they have added things, but its still the same 4 parks and a castle, and most of the rides are the same, not all but most. parking was $6

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

What exactly do you get in exchange for this bargain price?

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I know it's cool to knock Disney for everything they do but Warner Bros Studios has been doing this limited edition stuff for ages and yes they sell out.

Premium events for Premium customers.

It's not for me, but then again I don't fly First Class to sit a bit bigger seat and have slightly better food in a tin can for 9hrs. Which I'd had to pay considerably more for than this event, yet plenty of Dibbers lap those First Class seats up.

Each to their own.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
I know it's cool to knock Disney for everything they do but Warner Bros Studios has been doing this limited edition stuff for ages and yes they sell out.

Premium events for Premium customers.

It's not for me, but then again I don't fly First Class to sit a bit bigger seat and have slightly better food in a tin can for 9hrs. Which I'd had to pay considerably more for than this event, yet plenty of Dibbers lap those First Class seats up.

Each to their own.
This is a good point, but I think if you can afford it many would see some value in being able to lie down and go to sleep on the flight.
However, over $200 (plus park ticket) to admit a 3 year old to a 'party' that lasts 2.5 hours seems extreme to me.
However, it wouldn't surprise me either if there are enough of a certain mindset to actually book this up as mentioned above.
The only way I see it worth it is if there were very limited numbers, and they had some major stars from Star Wars there for personal meet and greet. However, that's not what's advertised, but instead normal staff dressed as characters, some quick serve food etc.
I still think it's extraordinarily priced, even for Disney.

Edited at 11:07 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Its Star wars, it's Disneys new big thing, it'll sell out fast

so what do you get, a AT-AT or Yoda popcorn bucket for free ? ?
a Build your own lightsaber ? ? ?

got to be something hasnt it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
If you break down what you get for the price it does seem very poor value.

The food seems a lot more varied than the traditional snack only 'events' for DVC so I will hand it to them that maybe the value is circa $50.

After that just what do you get?

1. Meet some characters
2. Have photos taken by some props
3. Dance to Galactic music

I assume it will be held behind the double gates just past Canada?

Employee and organising costs need to be covered I accept that. Plus profit has to be generated. Sell it for $100 and it would be a money maker.
This though is profiteering

Edit. Just found the DVC 'Mothers Day Brunch' menu for the event to be held at the Contemporary Resort.
$65 and the food looks first class. That is not cheap but certainly isn't a rip off.

Wonder if that will have 'galactic music'

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:55 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Sounds a bit like the previous (open to all with deep pockets) Club Villain events?

2 hours
Champagne at check in
Buffet Dinner
Dessert Party
Open unlimited Bar, specialty mixed drinks, beer, sangria
Unlimited soft drinks
Entertainment - show
Dancing
private and unrushed meet with 4 villains
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List