Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 22 Apr 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Another vote for Lake Apopka. We found it by chance last trip, and it was fantastic!

Just note, it's only open weekends, sunrise to sunset.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
daftkast
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Originally Posted by Allisonjane View Post
We got home yesterday and in 16 trips I've looked in every lake we've passed and I've only ever seen 2 wild alligators, so this time I was desperate to find some, as close up as possible while keeping safe obviously.
After some googling we decided to try Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive. It's about 30 miles from Disney, took us 40 minutes. It's an 11 mile one way drive at 10 miles an hour, we kept stopping so it took us about 2 hour. We must have seen as least 50 gators, we lost count in the end, only 1 was lying on the bank, but it was a very hot and sunny afternoon so I'm guessing they stay in the water then. We also saw 3 turtles and 100's of birds. It was great fun trying to spot them although in the end we didn't have to try that hard. Even my 12 year old, thought it was great and she'd originally said I was a bit sad for wanting to go.
Highly recommended and I've already said I want to do it again on our next trip.
It's open from sunrise to sunset on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only.
We have been for the last few years and never seen wild alligators speaking to some people last year they mentioned they had done this, and highly recommended it, we never got to do it but its on the list this time. looks alot of fun and fingers crossed we will see some. I have seen a few videos on you tube and they are literally next to the car! So despite not going would recommend it.
Sep 2004 - Residence Inn Sea World... May 2011 - Sunset Ridge Villa... May 2012 - Cape Coral - Villa... Oct 2013 - Hampton Lakes Villa... May 2015 - Pine Ridge Villa... May 2016 - Highlands Reserve Villa... May 2017 - Highlands Reserve Villa...May 2018 Highlands Reserve Villa...May 2019 Highlands Reserve Villa... May 2022 Highlands Reserve Villa

Edited at 11:54 PM.
daftkast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Circle B Bar reserve and Orlando wetlands, travelling further you also have Sweetwater Wetlands

Edited at 08:12 AM.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

We have seen a lot of gators and other wildlife at circle b bar reserve too. Such a peaceful place but we did find it a bit unsettling & nerve wracking at times being that close to them. We’ve also seen a lot of them at the black point wildlife drive in Merritt Island and various air boat trips like spirit of the swamp.

Edited at 08:29 AM.
Florida Gator is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
jamieolivia15
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We did an airboat ride with Wild Florida one year. That’s really good.
jamieolivia15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List