Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Apr 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

The Mad Hatters in Florida May/June 2018 - Day 19 – Fogo De Chao and pool time

Hello and welcome to my very first trip report

So we are the Hatfield’s: Adam (Me), Grace (Wife), Joshua (Oldest Son), Trayvon (Youngest Son), Mick (My Dad) and Sue (My Mum).

Link to Index: Index

Link to previous day: Previous Day

Tuesday 5th June: Day 19 – Fogo De Chao and pool time

Today didn’t really get off to the best of starts. I was awake at 5:30am after another rough night of sleep. That sofa bed was really not a comfortable place to sleep for a 17 stone person I had woken with a bit of back ache that I hoped would wear off soon.

I managed to drop off back to sleep at about 7am for an hour or so. Grace also didn’t have the best of sleeps with Trayvon fidgeting throughout the night. She was up with Trayvon at 8:20am.

Joshua was the last of us to get up, and he was awake at 8:35am.

Our unsociable breakfast form continued and we once again had breakfast in our room.

Toast for Trayvon.

Froot Loops for Joshua

Grace and I shared a toasted bagel and a plate of pastries. The Danish was delicious. I also had a cup of decaf coffee with it.

We got the boys in the bath after they had eaten their breakfast and then they played with their toys and watched some TV for a bit.

At around 10:30am I nipped out to our usual spot, Walgreens, to grab Grace a bottle of Pepsi Max. It was a scorcher again. We certainly weren’t complaining with the weather now.

When back, I dropped the Pepsi into the room and headed up to the gym as I was really missing training. I had not lifted weights for around 6 weeks at this point due to my hand injury and I was having withdrawal symptoms

I could hardly do anything as I wasn’t allowed to grip anything with my right hand (not that I could anyway) but managed a few bits and pieces and had 10 minutes on the exercise bike. Itch scratched!

When I got back to the room I quickly jumped in the shower while everyone else was nearly ready to go out. I had booked us a table at Fogo De Chao for 12pm. It is an all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse.

And I have included a description of the place for people who are unfamiliar: The name Fogo de Chão means "fire on the ground" and summarizes the traditional gaúcho method of roasting meats over an open fire. They offer a prix-fixe "full churrasco experience" which includes unlimited servings of various cuts of meat and an extensive "gourmet market table" for both lunch and dinner. All meats are slow-roasted by gaúcho chefs and carved at tableside.

I brought my Dad here on our 2015 trip as a way of saying thanks for all the help he had given me with my house (don’t worry, Mum was taken care of with a shopping trip ). We absolutely loved it and were super excited to be going back.

We set off walking to Fogo at exactly 11:39am. Even though it isn’t a long distance away, we probably should have booked an Uber as it was very warm out. We were a little on the sweaty side haha.

I also ended up selling my parents some dollars as they were starting to run a little low on cash. We arrived just before our reservation and waited in the bar area for the restaurant to fully open.

Fogo

And some photos in the bar area.

To drink, my dad and I ordered a bottle of Malbec. We didn’t get the $100 a bottle stuff like last time . The wine list here is extensive and they go up into the thousands of dollars per bottle. Everyone else had diet Coke.

I grabbed some pictures of the market table while it was still quiet. How good does that look? Typing this up and I am drooling at the pictures

See what I mean about it looking good!

Some of the side items that they bring out to your table. Again, these are all you can eat and they will happily bring more out.

PÃO DE QUEIJO (Warm, soft cheesy bread rolls. Our irresistible homemade recipe from São Paulo can’t be missed. Made with sweet and sour yuca flour and Parmesan cheese).

GARLIC MASHED POTATOES (The taste of comfort is given Southern Brazilian flair with roasted garlic, drawn butter, cracked pepper, and fresh chives).

CARAMELIZED BANANAS (The balance of sweet and salt is a critical element of Southern Brazilian cuisine. The caramelized bananas help prepare and enliven the palate throughout the meal).

And also,

POLENTA (Brought to Southern Brazil by Italian immigrants, polenta made from corn meal remains a staple in Brazilian kitchens to this day. Our traditional recipe is a crispy and delicious companion to the meal).

The caramelized banana is my favourite. Seems odd, but works so well with the meats. They are all very much delicious though.

A few pictures of our market table plates and then a few pictures of slices of meat.

Joshua’s smoked salmon and cured meats and cheese.

Joshua digging in.

Not the prettiest thing to picture but I can assure you it all tasted so damn good. There were loads of different cuts of steak, as well as some chicken, lamb and pork. This is one of my dad’s and my favourite restaurants in Orlando.

My Mum just stuck with the Market table as she only really likes her steak well done and was happy enough with the choices available on the table. The boys were also free of charge which is really good! I also used a discount that i got from joining the e-club, which was a nice little saving. My dad and I also had a bottle of stella each as desert

The bill for our lovely lunch.

If you give it a try I have a little tip for you. Go at lunch time. It is pretty much the same food that is put out on an evening with perhaps 1 or 2 less cuts, but is around $20 per person less. I can really recommend Fogo De Chao.

{Continued in next post}
Mad Hatters is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

{Continued from previous post}

We waddled back to the hotel popping into the liquor store on the way back. Grace fancied getting these to try and I urged her to get them as if she didn’t like them I would obviously finish them off for her. I'm a helping husband like that

We were back in our room around 2pm. Despite being stuffed, we decided that it was pool time. Obviously the boys were eager to get in and we were happy enough to lay on a sun lounger to let lunch settle first.

I eventually joined the boys in the pool for our usual fun and games, which generally involved me being climbed all over while lounging around in the swim ring

It was now 5pm and so we headed back to the room via the reception area to book our Universal transport for the morning.
We all got ourselves showered and bathed and then popped down to the manager’s reception. We had a few drinks, couple of beers for my Dad and I while the kids had some fruit juice.

None of us were mega hungry as expected so we just nipped to Subway for a light tea.

A 6” tuna for me.

A 6” spicy Italian for Joshua.

Trayvon and Grace just had a cookie and a drink each as they were still rather full. My parents did eat, but it seems that I went back to ignoring them once again

We headed back to the hotel and all of us went to our room. We got the beers and nibbles out on the table and played a few games of dominos. Unsurprisingly, the women won again

It was evenings like this, where we just played games and had a laugh that really did make the holiday feel even more special.

We called it a night at that and when we got into bed saw that Deadpool was on, so we watched that.

According to my Fitbit I was asleep at 10:21pm.

Total steps for today: 12,127.

Thanks for reading
Mad Hatters is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You're right about the buffet food looking tasty! I'm seriously hungry now after seeing all that lovely food. What a fab laid back day, it seems like you enjoyed your chill out time in the evening too.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
joolsleeds
Apprentice Imagineer

joolsleeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for posting the pictures here. I’m very tempted to go to Fogo, and your pictures have really helped with my choice! 😀
joolsleeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You're right about the buffet food looking tasty! I'm seriously hungry now after seeing all that lovely food. What a fab laid back day, it seems like you enjoyed your chill out time in the evening too.
It’s an excellent buffet with really lovely fresh food.

We sure enjoyed our relaxing evening. I’ve said it many times but the chill time we had in the second half of the holiday was fantastic.

Thanks for reading 😀
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by joolsleeds View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures here. I’m very tempted to go to Fogo, and your pictures have really helped with my choice! 😀
I’m glad it’s helped your decision. It really is a fantastic restaurant and I’m sure you will love the food.

Thanks for reading 😀
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Sounds like a perfect chilled out day So nice to have days like these after all those crazy full on theme park days at the start of the holiday

Fogo De Chao is a new one on me but looks amazing! That steak is perfectly cooked for my liking Although, I think i’ll pass on the $100 bottle of beer!

Looks like Trayvon was starting to feel a bit better now too
Old 24 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mouselover22 View Post
Sounds like a perfect chilled out day So nice to have days like these after all those crazy full on theme park days at the start of the holiday

Fogo De Chao is a new one on me but looks amazing! That steak is perfectly cooked for my liking Although, I think i’ll pass on the $100 bottle of beer!

Looks like Trayvon was starting to feel a bit better now too
It was a lovely steady day. Definitely far more chilled than the start of the holiday haha.

Fogo is fantastic, i would definitely recommend it to people. The wines go up to scary money so $100 is cheaper end haha. Think they start around $45 per bottle.

He was on the mend bless him, still not there though yet.

Thanks for reading 😀
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

That buffet looks so nice and I'm not surprised Grace and Trayvon were still stuffed.

I love reading about the game nights (mainly cos the women keep winning 😂 girl power!) but it reminds me of when we have game nights at home or when we went camping, the kids love it, such quality family time isn't it.

I'm so sad your reports coming to an end 😔 please tell me you have another trip in the pipeline! 🤞 Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
That buffet looks so nice and I'm not surprised Grace and Trayvon were still stuffed.

I love reading about the game nights (mainly cos the women keep winning 😂 girl power!) but it reminds me of when we have game nights at home or when we went camping, the kids love it, such quality family time isn't it.

I'm so sad your reports coming to an end 😔 please tell me you have another trip in the pipeline! 🤞 Xx
It really is a great buffet, I try not look at it as it makes me hungry. Not so good when dieting haha.

Yeah the game nights. My dad and I were terrible. Made worse by the fact my dad actually plays dominoes for a team 🤔

The game nights are great family fun and it’s free too. Absolute winner.

It really is getting close to the end now. I’ve got a day almost ready to post up and then it’s on with the last one.

We are going to Gran Canaria this year instead but have booked Disney for 2020 which will be a big family trip with my sister, husband and kids coming along as well as with my parents.

Not fully decided on if I’m going to do a report on that one yet 🤔

As always, thanks for reading.