Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 24 Apr 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We’ve done 2 weeks onsite with free dining and we have done all villa holidays. We much prefer the villa holidays. This year we are doing 5 days at Disney, to take advantage of the free dining and then moving to the villa. We prefer the villa, as we like the extra space, having our own pool and not actually being in the Disney bubble the whole time. I love Disney but I also like visiting Florida and there is so much more to see and do in the surrounding area and further afield. We also like eating in lots of different offsite restaurants. I don’t actually do any work at the villa either, we eat out or just have cooked chicken bread and salad etc. We do have breakfast at the villa, but that’s just toast or cereal. I also like having drinks and snacks in the fridge and lying on my lilo in the pool with a drink in my hand and not having to share this space with strangers. In a villa there are usually at least 2 bathrooms so it’s quicker for everyone to get ready and also a games room to chill out in.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I took my children (as the only adult) when they were 10 and 6. We stayed onsite for the first time, as we’d only stayed in villas before.

I missed having more than one bathroom; they missed a pool in the ‘back garden’ although they made daily use of the small pool by our block. To be honest, I missed a bit of space to myself, and I think they did, too.

The pros, however, being so close to the parks; making use of the Free DDP and eating in places I wouldn’t have justified the cost for, if staying offsite; 60 day FP booking (Pandora had not long opened but we got FPs for Flights of Passage, twice); being in the bubble...it was great!

So, my plan for next year is to do a week of both - crazy park-life for a week, then slightly less crazy villa life!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sukey
Excited about Disney

We’ve just done 6 nights onsite with the dining plan and then we picked up a hire car and moved to a villa for 10 nights. Felt that was the best of both worlds, full on Disney for 6 days and then relaxing time by your own pool. We only went back to Disney twice once at the villa but visited lots of other places. Don’t think I could have put up with 5 of us in one room and Disney food for much longer than a week.
Sukey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky23
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
If being on resort means sharing one room, the I would choose a villa all the way.

Also to bear in mind, pluses of having resort - other kids for yours to play with, negatives for you - loads of kids around 24/7! Its a tough one. We go in between, and have an apartment with 2 bedrooms, on a resort with facilties, restaurants etc. I am not sure I could eat disney meals every meal but I see a lot of reports here of people who do the plan and love it.

A split stay might be the answer?
Which condo resort do you stay at as looking at doing a split stay with second half offsite in a condo with cooking facilities / more room but with free parking ? Thanks
Lucky23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We like being in a villa. There are 9 of us and we have a six bed six bath with our own pool. As we go for 21 days we do have chill days in our villa. Swimming and chilling on the deck and its nice to come back to the villa after a long park day to chill in the hot tub with a drink or two.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
Which condo resort do you stay at as looking at doing a split stay with second half offsite in a condo with cooking facilities / more room but with free parking ? Thanks
We have stayed at Marriott Lakeshore reserve, was a little out from parks, but such a nice place. Other ones to check out, Vistana Villages, Vista Cay, Lake Buena Vista resort, Bahama Bay, Grove resort.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
angel_eyes
Trainee Dibber

I've only spent time onsite at DLP rather than WDW and three nights was enough! I cannot imagine being confined to one hotel room for two weeks.

I can understand the pros and cons for both but it will vary enormously on what you wish to do out there. For instance, if you are looking at a "just Disney" holiday, then onsite might be the way to go (maybe one of the suites or cabins if you would like more space?). We, however, like to see as much else in the area as possible so being onsite wouldn't suit us. Having the extra rooms in a villa and a private pool is also a big plus for us.

We have booked one night at Universal for our next trip, for the FOLP. I think I prefer the idea of doing this at Universal as everything is walkable. Saying that, I still don't think I could two weeks there either!

As other dibbers have suggested, looking at a split stay might be the best compromise for your family. Either way, I'm sure you will all have an amazing holiday.
Old 25 Apr 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

It’s very subjective. As a couple we’ve done onsite several times. Both times with kids (they were 5 & 8, then 7 & 10) we had a villa. We done the first night onsite both times for FP glitch (which I think has gone now) I’d love to do 5 nights onsite with DDP then a villa but DH isn’t as keen. The kids love having the private pool to jump into in the mornings and aren’t bothered about onsite. All’s depends if you want to drive or not? With onsite it’s free buses then you get get taxis to other places if you wish. Maybe do a split stay then you both get what you want. It’s a tough one.