Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Apr 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. He is very nervous but today has helped hugely 🤗🤗
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lindyT
Apprentice Imagineer

So pleased for both you and your son. Good to praise the NHS too. The majority of staff who work their socks off must often feel so undervalued. Hope your son recovers soon, and is back home with you all asap. Linda
lindyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I hope that your son feels abit happier about his upcoming op. In our experience the paed theatres are absolutely amazing (as are the whole paed medical teams!).

DD has unfortunately been a "frequent flyer" with them, and they all know her very well, without their amazing skill and caring ways all of this would be so difficult with DD, but as it is she is so confident with everything, taking blood, cannulas etc she doesnt mind going in.

Good luck with the op. Remember to take in favourite toys etc, and we also used to take DD pillowcase to put under her for when she comes round, familiar smell/texture may help him when he comes round. X
Old 25 Apr 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
When the NHS works it is the best in the world.

When it does’nt you might just as well be living in outer mongolia

Disney332
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
IME the NHS comes through for those who REALLY need it, because it's under so much pressure the only option left to staff is to prioritise. Generally the people complaining are the ones who would still be alive if they'd had to wait a bit longer, because the staff are busy with the ones who wouldn't.

I've stood in A&E and longed to take shouting relatives into resus so they can see exactly why their poorly finger is having to wait...
It has ALWAYS worked for us, saved my husbands life three times, my daughter’s once.
I understand the pressures, and agree with PoohBearsNo1Fan about priorities.
I don’t expect it to deal with every minor issue in my life. I have currently a foot issue which is just beyond ‘cosmetic’ so I don’t expect the NHS to deal with it - I’ll use a private podiatrist.
But the system has worked so well fo the OP it makes me proud to have it - we must protect it.
And even when it doesn’t provide everything immediately (as some expect) I think even then it’s not ‘like Outer Mongolia’

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I work for an organisation allied to the NHS and worked for the NHS itself for about 35 years. It’s also saved my life twice and the staff who work for the NHS have my utmost respect.
I think in these times that some people have unrealistic expectations... (ie expecting to be able to see a dentist late on a Sunday night) and expect to be seen and treated immediately for things that can safely be looked after at home... minor coughs, colds, very minor cuts and hangovers for example... some of these will present theirselves at A&E and others take up appointments at GPS...
There’s also an expectation that the state will provide drugs that can be bought very cheaply over the counter...paracetamols for example...
But I am so pleased to here that OPs son got the care and attention he needed...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
IME the NHS comes through for those who REALLY need it, because it's under so much pressure the only option left to staff is to prioritise. Generally the people complaining are the ones who would still be alive if they'd had to wait a bit longer, because the staff are busy with the ones who wouldn't.

I've stood in A&E and longed to take shouting relatives into resus so they can see exactly why their poorly finger is having to wait...
Totally agree. When you REALLY need it, the NHS is there. Levels of expertise and knowledge at the top levels is mind blowing. It’s the bureaucracy and “managers” that need sorting to let those on the care and treatment side do what they do best.
Hope your son is ok, OP xx
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I remember being on the rainbow ward a few times in Wigan when I was child, always made me feel comfortable and at ease. Had a couple of operations there and no bad memories. Good luck to your son!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

Have heard some awful feed back recently about the nhs where we live, so, reassuring to hear something good for a change.
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Hope all goes well for your son & I have to agree 100% about how good the majority of our NHS staff can be. I had to go last week to the QMC & the consultant & her nurse I saw made me feel like I was chatting with old friends rather than at a hospital in a stressful situation, I too came out thinking how good our NHS is.
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

maybe you could use careopinion.uk to feedback the staff.
Its a national independent feedback platform for health services.

If care is good you can thank those responsible, if wasn't good you can suggest improvement. You can read about your local health services and the responses given by healthcare professionals