24 hours in Paris..(The Ryanair way)

Trip report – Paris in a day 12th November 2008

Costs –

2 x flights East Mids to Beauvais – 4p
Parking at the airport – £21.23 (E52)
Airport transfers to Paris return x 2 £43.50
Hotel with breakfast £80.00
Metro Tickets £9.55 (carnet)
Top of Notre Dam for 2 ticket - £12.50 (E15)
1 hour river cruise ticket for 2 – £17.60 (E22)
Drinks at Rue cler £12.50 (E15.00)
Eiffle tower tickets for 2 £20.00 (E24)
Dinner with a E12 tip inc £100.00 (E120)
Moulin Rouge £150.00 (E178)

Total £466.92 /2 = £233.46 a head.

Our flight was due out at 9.30 so we set off at 7am and arrived at the airport by 8. We parked on long stay 1 which was only a few minutes walk to departures. Our flight left early at 9.15 and was only a quarter full. At 10am (11 Paris time) we landed. As we were so early we had to wait for the next coach in which was at 11.30. We had pre paid for this service so just had to hand over the electronic tickets but you could get them there.

The coach took 1 hour 20 minutes to arrive at Port Maillot. We used this opportunity to eat out packed lunch and have a snooze which was what most were doing.

The tube station is only a few minutes away and well sign posted from where the coach drops you. We went to the ticket office purchased a carnet and were on our first metro ride by 1pm. We went to chalet and changed lines to cite. We exit here and walked a few mins around the corner to Notre Dam Cathedral. This was a stunning building. We took photos and went in to look around (free) it was very dark inside but was very beautiful. It was not at all busy so we exit, turn right and around the corner is the entrance to walk the towers. They let 20 persons in every 10 minutes but again we virtually walk straight in. 400 steps later and we are at the top. They give you a booklet which points out the history of each part and then when you reach the very top you are only allowed 5 minutes in that section which is monitored. All you have to do then is walk back down! I was making it very clear at this stage I would be taking the lift at the Eiffel Tower!

We had a nice 10 min walk down to catch the 3.45 cruise from Point Neuf. We went to the top of the boat which was in the open and sat straight at the front. I was eating some crisps and 2 little birds landed in front of me so I threw them 1…. Scene from “The Birds” seagulls and tons of little birds were all heading towards me and DH was questioning my mentality. It was a very long 5 mins before we set sail!

It was all very nice and I am glad we did it but don’t think I would do it again.

As we were now well ahead of time we decided to visit Rue Cler. (metro = Monnaie – Louver – Concorde – la tour Maubourg – 2 mins walk) This all sounds very time consuming but from getting off the boat to Rue Cler was only 30 mins

This was a very nice little street with lovely shops and cafes and we stopped and sat outside one for something to warm us up. 1 large white wine, 1 double espresso, 1 cognac with a small tip was E15.00.

From here we took the 10 min walk to the Eiffel tower. It was very quiet and the queue for the lifts was only 10 minutes and there was only 1 leg of it working. We went straight to the top as it was getting dark at this point so the view was lovely and whilst up there the tower lit up we took some photos and as we had a signal we rang the children.

We came down to level 2 and hardly anyone was about so we went down to level 1 and again we noticed about 3 people. We were really glad we went to the top as it was the only place with any atmosphere.

From here we headed to the restaurant and had a wonder round as we arrived early and the table was not booked till 7.30.

I had read about this place on trip advisor and various other trip reports I had read and as DH loves a steak it seemed like the perfect place to go.

We knew that you had to share tables, it was full of locals and they had an open fire place where the chef stood and cooked the steak. It all sounded perfect but words can not describe just how perfect this place is. We spent a lot as we did not want to leave so moved to the bar to have countless espressos and liquors. The Steaks were around E18 and served with salad and roast pots. We went on to have cheese boards and desserts and a few bottles of wine. The liquor made by the owner is E7 a go but worth every penny. I advise you all to try it.

From here what we should have done and wanted to do was check in the hotel and collapse in a heap but I had pre paid for the Moulin Rouge. So we took the metro to the hotel, checked in and walked around the corner to watch the 11pm show. They sat us at a table for 2 and it was all very lamps on the table 1970’s. They brought us a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket (Nice) and 2 Asda smartprice wine glasses (Why!?!) and then the show started.

What a load of rubbish. If you are expecting world class dancers then don’t come here. The audience was 90% males with the odd one with woman 30 years younger on his arm and the odd few tourist couples. I would say the girls are hired on looks as if you chopped heads off they would all look the same. Same size chest (very small) and height, very odd!

We finally walked out after just over an hour as a French man was getting audience members up. As soon as he did the Butlins type what’s your name and where do you come from speech we were off!

Now as I had booked this hotel because of its location to the Moulin Rouge we were now slap bang in the middle of the Red light district. After a few offers from men on the street trying to get us to enter there establishments we were back at the hotel.

The next morning we had breakfast and took the metro to where we started. The bus was again used for a sleep and we were back in our house by 12.30.

I would without question do a 1 night again but this time without the expense of the tourist attractions. The only repeat would be the restaurant.
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 08, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like a brillant way to spend 24 hours.

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 08, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List