Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Aug 18, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Dubai and Japan Summer 2018 Day 17

Today was our final full day in Kyoto and as we’d had a busy day yesterday we had a very lazy start to the day.

We headed out about lunch time to the main shopping area. The boys had the last of their yen to spend. DS9 headed to the Pokemon shop and ended up with an extra large plush Pikachu. Not sure where I’ll put that tomorrow!

DS12 decided to spend his yen in the Armani shop. That was an interesting experience. The sales people treated us like celebrities with the sales lady insisting on carrying our shopping out of the store (it was two items) and all the other sales assistants bowing and saying thank you in Japanese as we left. I told DS12 to enjoy that moment as unless he becomes famous it’s unlikely he’d ever receive the same treatment at home. He had 10,000 yen to spend and bought some new boxer shorts and a slim fitting t.shirt.

We finally all managed to sit down for lunch together today at quiet a nice restaurant that sold a mixture of English and Japanese good. The kids had fish and chips, chorizo and chips and garlic bread. We shared a cheese platter with two beers it came to about 4,000 yen.( I lie.. I had wine!)

After an afternoon of shopping we went out for tea and a Japanese gentleman at the next table started to tell us in broken English about a festival. I googled it and it said the street lights would go off at 8. So we eagerly waited until 8 and nothing happened! They also light symbols on the hills in flames so we headed back to the house to have a look as Kyoto is surrounded by hills. We saw nothing!

Here is the link if you want to read about it:

japanistry/event/dai...gozan-okuribi/

It was our final night in Kyoto and tomorrow we head for home. I’m not going to write about tomorrow unless something wildly exciting happens as it’s just a travel day.

Hope you’ve found reading the report useful. I’ll do a highs and lows when I get back but if you’ve got any questions just ask away.0
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 05:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Safe journey, I've enjoyed your holiday
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
Safe journey, I've enjoyed your holiday
Thank you. Currently at the airport waiting to check in.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Thank you for your trip reports. We are planning a trip to a Japan next year and I am finding the trip reports really helpful. Hope you get over jet lag quickly.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Fortytwo
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Great trip report. What a well dressed DS you have! Shame about the festival, sounds good.

Hope your journey home isn't too stressful. Would love to know how many days it takes once you're back to get over jet lag- I'm worried about feeling rotten for a while after such a journey.
Fortytwo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Great trip report. What a well dressed DS you have! Shame about the festival, sounds good.

Hope your journey home isn't too stressful. Would love to know how many days it takes once you're back to get over jet lag- I'm worried about feeling rotten for a while after such a journey.
I’ll let you know. Simon is back at work on Tuesday so not much recovery time for him. I’m thinking he’ll probably recover more quickly as he’ll have to!😬
Old 7 Oct 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I've enjoyed reading this a lot. I visited Japan too but in December/January so was pretty chilly.
You and Simon do not look old enough to have been married 15 years and have a nearly teenager!