Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Day 6

Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music
Day 6 ~ Smoky Mountains and Helicopter Tour

We got up at 7.30am, got dressed and ready and drove to Golden Corral in Pigeon Forge for breakfast. Our server was very friendly and helpful and brought us all juice and we helped ourselves to the buffet. It was pretty much the same food as Orlando, all the cooked stuff, bacon, ham, eggs, sausages of various kinds, hash browns, pancakes, then made to order omelette's and waffles. There was a fruit bar and then cakes, muffins, donuts and ice-cream. We all filled up, it was really good value and Joleen (our server) was always refilling our glasses and checking we were okay.

Piggle's especially enjoyed it

After breakfast it was still really misty and a bit grizzly so we drove out past Gatlinburg and to the start of the Smoky Mountains National Park. We stopped at the information center where the ranger gave us a map and some information, and told us the bears were really active today, so we were really excited. We watched a 20 minute video about the park, its history and about its ecosystems, animals and threats from man. Then we brought some souvenirs from the shop, including a book about the Smokies and a Cades Cove guide and then drove on to Cades Cove.

The drive was 23 miles and took about an hour, we watched for bears the whole time as we winded round the roads along the banks of the river, it was very pretty but no bears about.

We got to Cades Cove and stopped at the information point just before the trail. Dad spoke to the ranger about the loop and bears, Mum and Sophie looked at the horses they had for ridings and hayrides around the loop which then led Sophie to sulk for the next hour because she couldn’t go on one.

We then set off on the 11 mile, 1-way loop, constantly looking out for bears. Along the way were several points of interest and things to see. First up was a cabin, one of the oldest in the park and we learn't about its history, the family who lived there and their lives from a nice friendly ranger inside the cabin. The cabin was basic but had the most amazing views across a meadow and the mountains.

We then drove on past a few little churches and then stopped at one of them. It smelt really old and musty but was quite cute.

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
We drove on, stopping every now and again for pictures and looking for bears. At one point Mum thought she saw one in a tree and we all went to look followed by a stream of cars. It wasn’t a bear but it was embarrassing, Mum was banned from bear spotting from then on.

Some pictures around Cades Cove

We stopped by the river at the point to Abrahm Falls but the walk was about 3-4 hours so we had a look at the water and moved on.

Next we came to the old corn mill and the visitor center. We looked around the mill and some old houses, learn't about its history and production today which was quite interesting.

We then brought a few more souvenirs before carrying on. We did see a few deer and some turkey vultures but no bears, which was a real shame as we had overheard a woman saying how they were only 5ft from some, so there was some around, just not for us to see.

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
After the tour which had such beautiful views, we drove back to Sevierville which took a couple of hours. We went to the heliport and as soon as we were there they got the chopper going and we were off. We were told a few rules and then got in, Dad in the front, and us in the back. We rose quite quickly, I had a few butterflies but it was good and Mum soon relaxed a bit. Something I may not have mentioned before is that Mum is terrified of heights and does not like flying, which is why we never went to WDW until 2005. She had always said she would definitely not do a helicopter ride but when we were going to go to New York for her birthday she decided she wanted to do it and got quite excited. This is why we decided to book it, although we did know it was a bit of a risk, so to get her in the helicopter was good. Anyway we then started flying into the foothills of the mountains, it was an amazing view. At one point we went through a gap between 2 mountains it was awesome. We went over Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Dollywood where we saw Thunderhead, it was such an amazing way to see it all, especially the mountains.

Old 8 Oct 08, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

Over Dollywood

Soon though we were back at the heliport, after our 20 minute flight. We had all loved it, including Mum, so I was happy.

We had a few photos taken, thanked the pilot and then drove over to the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant, which was in Sevierville, not Gatlinburg. It was set in a little area with the Apple Barn and Cider Shop, Creamery, Winery and Grill. It was pretty with apple trees and lawns and was right beside a river.

We were seated straight away, it was nice inside, really bright and some of the tables had swinging porch benches which was a really cool idea. We were brought apple julip which was homemade apple juice and apple fritters with apple butter (like jam). It was all very nice. We then ordered and were brought vegetable soup and salad with a choice of dressing. The soup was really nice and the honey and mustard dip was so good and homemade at the place. Our mains were then brought with some mash for everyone to share and a choice of side each. I had rib eye steak with coleslaw, Nick had pulled pork with buttered corn, Mum had southern fried catfish with coleslaw and Dad had southern fried chicken and fries and Sophie just had fries. It was all really good and again included dessert too which we took to go again.

We then drove to Tanger Outlets and went to the Disney Store, see I always manage to sneak in a bit of Disney wherever I am.

Nick brought me a Piglet and Daisy Duck, a Tigger food mat for the cats and some bowls. We then went to Timberland and Mum and Nick brought loads.

We drove to an outside Go Kart track in Pigeon Forge and all had a go. We all went in single carts apart from Sophie went with Mum. We went on one that went round and round to the top and then down, it was great fun but there were some stupid men that take it so seriously they just push other people out the way without any cares, this freaked Mum out a bit. We then went on another, Mum watched and Sophie came with me. It was so funny but our car wouldn’t go very fast so we couldn’t overtake this really annoying man who kept braking on purpose so we bumped him, ahhhhhh grow up, you have a kid in your car. Nicks car had been slow both times, he was getting majorly frustrated. Then Nick took Sophie on, and guess what, his car was really slow again, his face was a picture when he got off.

Back to the cabin, we packed up all our stuff which took a while baring in mind how much stuff we had brought. Mum especially struggled with all her new stuff and her stupidly small suitcase, I did warn her. We then all went in the hot tub for our last nights soak. The sky was so clear and it was another beautiful night, perfect for our last night here. Then Sophie and I played air hockey, I won, but then I played Mum and she won, by a lot. We all sat on the sofas and had dessert and then down to bed. I had left todays little gift on Mum’s bed, a glass photo frame with space for three photos, one for each of her girls. She loved it, and then time to sleep.

Edited at 06:58 PM.
Old 8 Oct 08, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post

A great and very busy day! Loved Sophie's face on the go-kart! The pics from the helicopter are amazing!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Glad you're back! I've missed these great reports!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Great to see a new report up. I'm well into planning our trip for next year now and just got the Smoky Mountain Explorer pack that I ordered in the post today.

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
patsy76
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Your photos are lovely, glad your mum enjoyed the helicopter ride.
May 1997 - Gateway Inn, January 2001 - All Star Sports, November 2006 - Best Western Plaza International, June 2007 - Springhill Suites by Marriott, March 2008 - Orlando World Centre Resort, November 2008 - Bahama Bay Resort, April 2009 - Wrestlemania 25, Houston, Texas, May 2010 - Southern Dunes Villa, April 2011 - Wrestlemania 27, Atlanta, Georgia, May 2011 - Embassy Suites, International Drive, Feb 2014 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Art of Animation
patsy76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellestar
Imagineer

Great pic's, nice report...
F/drives 1989-2000,G/Vista 2000-02 M/Vge 02 G/Vista 02,W/Palms 03-04-05,C/bay 05,W/Hills 05-06 All Virgin,C/bay & H/Rock Htl Univ TCD S/First Sept 06,April 07 Virgin,Sept 07 FChoice-VCay Res & P/Bay,April-May Thom/Prem 08 V/Cay,Sept 08 V/Cay,Feb 09 US Air Villa,Sept 09 Villa/Univ Port/Bay & Virgin F/Class Orl,May Univ Port/Ba,Sept 10 Villa,Feb 12/SSR May 13, SSR JUN 14, May 19 Cabana Bay & OKW Resort, May 20 HRH & Endless .
Bellestar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 08, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Another fantastic report Sammie with lovely photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List