Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 May 09, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

We found it a lot harder to adjust to the 8 hour time difference, rather than the 5 for Florida.

I was like Mazzy was on our first full day. We were in Vegas and I lay down for a few minutes in the afternoon (around 4). Next thing I knew it was 10pm. DH was also out for the count beside me.

Saying that, the first time we went to Vegas we were there for 2 nights before driving to LA and yes we were tired when we arrived there, but we were OK and I was never worried. I know yours is a different drive - San Fran to Anaheim, but both are long journeys and to be honest the drive through the desert gets tedious after the nth cactus Are you driving down the coast? If so you'll have loads to look at and interesting places to stop off at.

I do think you are wise not driving until you leave San Fran. there is generally no need for a car there anyway
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 09, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Much worse than Florida in our case. Found ourselves fighting to stay awake around 7.00 pm on our first night, decided to 'rest on the bed for a couple of minutes' ... two hours later we woke up feeling like two miles of bad road. We managed to stay upright until around eleven, then woke up at daft o'clock raring to go. Took a couple of days to get over it, and that was flying East to West... the jetlag when we arrived home was pretty bad as well, which is the reason I'm glad to be letting the train take the strain this year, less chances of rearranging the central reservation on the M1.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 09, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Going over it's not so bad for us but as the flight is longer you tend to feel more tired from the journey as much as the time difference.
Coming back for us is the worst we have ever experienced.
We've done 12 & 13 hour time differences which we have coped with better than 8 hours. I think after about 10 hours your body just gives up & recovers but at 8 hours it fights you all the way.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 09, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
VICKYTORIAPLUM
Apprentice Imagineer

I really dont think you suffer from jet lag when you go over to the West Coast. Even though it is 8 hours behind what you have to remember is that you will be going to sleep that night, ok still quite a few hours later than normal. Jet lag hits you more when you come back. We flew from Vegas to Philly which is a 5 hour flight and 3 hours time difference. Then 7 hours or so flight to Man with 5 hours time difference. We were awake for nearly 2 days. We didn't go to bed until night time when we got back home as we were still in holiday mode and we didn't wake up until about 4pm the next day.

All Star Movies Sept 2003
All Star Movies Sept 2006
Luxor Las Vegas Feb 2008
All Star Movies Sept 2009
Venetian Las Vegas for Wedding/Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa for Honeymoon October 2010
Disney Port Orleans Sept 2011

Vicky the Mad Cat Lady
VICKYTORIAPLUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 09, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TankEngine
Helping Minnie

I've never really suffered from the jet la on all our trips to the West coast. Just sleep as long as you can the night before. Get a hour or two on the plane and then stay up as late as possible when you arrive. Yes your body will be awake at 3-4am Pacific time, but try and go back to sleep. Coming back, just change you body clock when you get to the airport. Don't eat on the plane until breakfast! Helps.
TankEngine is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 09, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I think it depends on the individual. I found it very hard for the first week at least, feeling shattered at 8-9pm and waking up at 5-6am even if I forced myself to stay awake (which I find really hard to do so couldn't for very long ) My bf on the other hand adjusted really quickly, though he did do permanent nights for 4 years so he can pretty much change his body clock at the drop of a hat!
I wouldn't worry too much about it, I didn't find it affected my holiday experience as we weren't out very late most nights.
Old 3 Jun 09, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Another vote for the "no worse than florida". As always i try to stay awake till 9 or 10 the day i land, i'm usually awake about 0500 / 0600 but i just get up and walk around.

The worst bit to remember if you ring home is that they are 8 hours ahead not 5! My cousin was apparently not impressed when i woke her up to tell her something and it was 1am in the uk. i thought it was only 10pm!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread