Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jul 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
POR34
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I've done Manchester - Dublin many times, sometimes with a couple of hours but never again. Now we always do an overnight stay and then into the lounge. It takes away all the stress and starts the holiday in style.
POR34 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Lounge experiences will be different for the foreseeable future. That lounge is reasonably spacious, but seating will still likely be reduced. The buffet will, quite literally, be off the table, and quite possibly the self service drinks will no longer be available.

That said, while on my own I would take the 2 hour connection in a heartbeat, with the family in tow and if there is no reasonable way to get to destination the same day if the connection is missed, I would lean towards the 5 hour connection.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
001_ATLANTIS
Serious Dibber

Outbound, 2 hrs is certainly do-able but it can be tight and would make me stress out a bit tbh.

If your connection lands on time and you are pretty agile then probably fine, but if you are unable to maintain a sprightly pace or have elderly/disabled in your party then I would be inclined to look for a longer layover.

We had a 2 hrs 30 mins layover but even with excellent wheelchair assistance to get us from one aircraft to the US departure area we struggled and had absolutely no time to spare. If we hadn't had the assistance then I am sure we would have missed the connection.
001_ATLANTIS is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
joolsleeds
Apprentice Imagineer

joolsleeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’ve read all the experiences here interesting, especially the view that 2 hours is as tight as many would want to leave it.

We booked a (now cancelled) MAN-DUB-BOS through ticket, and that had a 90 min layover. I double and triple checked this with AL and they said it was all good.

I think I may go for the longer layover when I rebook!
joolsleeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ABZDisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

As you have seen there are various views & opinions on "how long you need" to transfer when you get to Dublin.
The minimum connection time that Aer Lingus quote escapes me at the moment but whatever it is will be based on everything going exactly as planned. i.e. Your connecting flight from the UK leaves & arrives exactly on time, you get through US customs & immigration without a hitch & stroll comfortably up to the gate with plenty of time to spare.
The reality of the situation probably lies somewhere in the middle, our experience of flying via Dublin has always been smooth, the first time we did it going to New York & were booked on the last flight going out of the day, I think it left Dublin at around 15:30, anyways at that time (2011) you didn't get US Pre Clearance for that flight as it stopped earlier in the day.
We flew in from London, our friends flew in from Aberdeen both flights were on time & we met up in the business class lounge in Terminal 2, we had about an hour to chill & have a couple of beers before we boarded.
We've flown to Orlando via Dublin a couple of times now & have always left ourselves at least 3 - 4 hours connection time when we booked the flight to cover for any delays out of London.
When we flew last November, the Dublin to Orlando flight had been changed to an earlier time which meant we had less time to connect, we had allowed 4 hours so still ended up with over 3 when the flight time changed.
We had a late breakfast when we landed in Dublin, mooched about the shops for a bit then went through pre clearance before heading to the 51st & Green lounge where we spent about 90 minutes before boarding.
Clearing customs & immigration in Dublin is a huge bonus & one of the reasons we prefer going to the States with Aer Lingus.
The minimum time I would feel comfortable with would be three hours but everyone has their own views.
November 2014 at Old Key West & The Yacht Club
November 2012 at The Swan
ABZDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeyspals
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by peter pan View Post
Hi, I’ve found some flights for my trip for next May with Air Lingus originating in Manchester. Is 2 hours layover long enough?
We did it a couple of years ago had about 50 minutes and i was dreading it but it wasnt an issue. The staff in immigration area were very good and pull people through as flights are due for departure. We got through with plenty of time. Would definitely do it again

2010-Tuscan Hills Villa, Radisson International Drive
2012- Tuscan Hills Villa
2015-Tuscan Hills Villa,Lowes Royal Pacific
2016- Disney's All Star Movies Resort,Town House
Regal Palms Resort,Hard Rock Hotel
2017- La Quinta Suites, Central Park, New York
2017- Tuscan Hills Villa

2019-Highland Reserve Villa
2022-Ridgewood Lakes Villa
Mickeyspals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List