Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jul 20, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Virgin Open Ticket-Subsequent Refund?

I’ve searched the forum as I’m sure this will have been asked-sorry if I’m missing the obvious! One of my family members is wanting to take the option of open tickets for her family’s flights to subsequently rebook a cancelled flight. (She would have taken the refund option but the flights were a very complicated combination of miles, free upgrades, companion tickets and gifted miles so would be difficult to replicate!). If she can’t get flights around the dates she’s looking for can she then opt for a refund? Also, if anything were to happen to Virgin Atlantic, are the ‘vouchers’ eligible for a CC refund? Thank you.
Mqt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I can't help sorry about a subsequent refund but if there are Miles and a companion voucher involved I would ask for a refund now.
They are resolving the return of Miles and vouchers quite quickly and the cash will follow in due course.

I would want the certainty of having those 'freebies' back rather than trying to fight a battle a year or so on.

As an aside I changed a Miles flight to a different flight and was on the phone to Swansea to sort it. They did it in a matter of minutes so all credit to them .

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I can't help sorry about a subsequent refund but if there are Miles and a companion voucher involved I would ask for a refund now.
They are resolving the return of Miles and vouchers quite quickly and the cash will follow in due course.

I would want the certainty of having those 'freebies' back rather than trying to fight a battle a year or so on.

As an aside I changed a Miles flight to a different flight and was on the phone to Swansea to sort it. They did it in a matter of minutes so all credit to them .
Thanks Tom. Ive wondered what she should do. I’ve moved a couple of my own flights around with no problem and also had refunds. The problem with hers is that the booking of it was so complicated due to what was involved in making up the 3 flights I’m just not sure we can do it again unless we just get a simple date deferment. Virgin were excellent at the time we booked them for her and I think we managed to get a deal which was over and above what we should have got (I think they bent the rules slightly!). I therefore think that even if we got the components back I’m not sure we could get them again. They were made up of her own miles, some of ours, our companion rewards, upgrades from econ to prem-just a massive headache to piece together... I shall have a think, thank you, as I understand what you’re saying about the certainty of having it back now!
Mqt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

Tom is correct with how fast virgin flying club are dealing with miles flights, had
Miles returned within 24 hrs of cancelling, yes I still have to wait some time for the taxes back. I actually had 4 flights booked and only cancelled 2 of them, I will leave the other 2 as an open ticket.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
will1888
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Hi Mqt,

We opted for an open ticket for our September 2020 flights (before they were cancelled) and I asked VA the same question about changing to a refund.

I was told as long as the original flight becomes cancelled you can change your open ticket to a refund.

I have now requested a refund and they have said they will process it. The open ticket has now disappeared from my VA account.

Will have to wait and see if the refund ever turns up.
will1888 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

We moved our 4 x UC rewards to an open ticket. Plan is to rebook in Sept for next August. I figured it would be quicker and easier to simply transfer to another booking this way.

The alternative was waiting X months for the cash refund and probably have to pay again before even getting the first refund. Plus it helps VA.

Only risk was if VA folded and we lost the miles entirely. There was an outlier scenario where the miles may have been safe if VA folded but the flying club remained.

If we had no plans to rebook in the near future we'd have cancelled for a full refund of miles and taxes.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List