Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jul 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Talk to me about Dublin

Hi Folks...
I've never travelled from Dublin or via Dublin before but want to check a few things as I guess I have a few quirks to my travel.

I was arrested 10 years ago in Florida... all charges were dropped and since then I've travelled once to Florida (3 years ago). I had no problems getting an ESTA and have since renewed my ESTA again, no issues.

When I arrived in Florida 3 years ago I had to go for "Secondary"...basically sat in a waiting room for 30minutes before being asked one or 2 questions at a counter infront of everyone before they stamped my passport and said welcome to the US. After this I asked if this will happen every time I come to America and was told yes, my fingerprint is in the system so every time I'll now go for secondary.

So... I know we go through immigration in Dublin. Will there be any changes at all? Has anyone else had the same or similar situation? I'd obviously arrive at the airport in millions of time. I know on the whole this works identical to arriving into the US but just want to make sure.

Thanks!
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

In terms of the immigration formalities, apart from the additional baggage identification check, it’s the same as entering at a US gateway. Same CBP staff etc.

Don’t know if secondary takes place elsewhere, not having experienced it. The closest I came was the immigration officer having an issue identifying something on my ESTA, one of the two occasions in my life when having a printed copy of the ESTA approval has been useful. That all happened at the normal counter.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Thanks Peko ... my intention (due to flight prices and to ensure loads of time) would be to travel to Belfast the night before (we have family there) and travel down to Dublin as early as I can.

You talk about extra baggage checks?
Old 11 Jul 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by b00110908 View Post
You talk about extra baggage checks?
Normally when connecting to a US flight in DUB and passing through CBP preclearance (immigration), you have to identify your checked bags on a screen for customs purposes. I don’t know if you still have to do this if you’ve checked the bags in at DUB itself, I’ve never done that.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Normally when connecting to a US flight in DUB and passing through CBP preclearance (immigration), you have to identify your checked bags on a screen for customs purposes. I don’t know if you still have to do this if you’ve checked the bags in at DUB itself, I’ve never done that.
It’s the same process if you check in at Dublin or transit through. You will confirm your bags on the screen to the CBP agent.

OP, if you’ve been subject to an extra check when arriving in the US then give yourself plenty of time in Dublin and head straight to border control after passing through Dublin airport security and you will be fine.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
It’s the same process if you check in at Dublin or transit through. You will confirm your bags on the screen to the CBP agent.

OP, if you’ve been subject to an extra check when arriving in the US then give yourself plenty of time in Dublin and head straight to border control after passing through Dublin airport security and you will be fine.
Always feel I have 3 options...
1. Ensure my final destination is the only place I land in USA (means there's no rush at the secondary screening if I've got no connection).
2. Take off from Dublin (think this flight leaves at 11am, think I'd be arriving at 5am just to absolutely make sure!)
3. High risk and have a connecting flight in US (really would only do this as a last option, would be a horrible wait in the sitting room looking at my watch)
Old 11 Jul 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

Honestly I think you will be fine if you give yourself a good 3 hours. If you are travelling from Belfast I recommend the bus from Europa which drops you off at the front door to the terminal. Makes for a stress free start, much more relaxing than driving.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Assuming you declared your arrest on your ESTA, normally indicating you have been arrested an ESTA decision is no, and you have to go down the VISA route. Dublin flights are as others have said.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post
Assuming you declared your arrest on your ESTA, normally indicating you have been arrested an ESTA decision is no, and you have to go down the VISA route. Dublin flights are as others have said.
Hi Patjeff,

Arrest on esta is only for certain arrests thankfully so no need to declare
Old 12 Jul 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

I have never been arrested but seem to pop up on some system where I have to go for extra screening (the dreaded SSS thing on the ticket) I think my name must flag something up.

That meant the second time I flew from Dublin to MCO I couldn't check in online meaning I had to join the queue of doom and go to a desk.

Then once through the normal security, I went through the US bit and because of that SSS on my ticket I was separated off from my husband and children, they went through the normal bit, I had to remove my shoes which I don't usually have to do, then I had to empty everything out of my hand luggage, went through the machine where you put your hands in the air and was thoroughly patted down which was far more prolonged and personal than the normal ones.

That area is at the far end of the airport so I was about 40m away from my family. You have to sit on a chair whilst they go through everything in your bag, so I think if they needed to talk to you there are rooms at that end.

Even flying directly out of Dublin you have to identify your bag on a screen, well we definitely have.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List