Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 14, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by anna-marie View Post
Sorry Mum I'll try and do better (or worse?!) in future.

EDA
No, the Dessert Lady has moved to the Dr Phillips area.
Ooh, goodie, that's closer.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 14, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
THOR1
Apprentice Imagineer

Not an area I like much now or would recommend, on our last visit one lunchtime they were having a "glamour" model photo shoot in some street doorways.

That took some explaining to the children!
THOR1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 14, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm sorry but that had me spluttering tea on my keyboard.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 14, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tommy999
Helping Mickey

Mobile

I think it's worth bearing in mind that if you are visiting when there is a basketball game on then there is likely to be a high police presence in the area which should go some way to re assuring you.

I went to the Amway in October to watch the Magic and had heard and read horror stories about high crime and ropey individuals. But it certainly wasn't my experience. I was 50/50 about going with my wife and children however I'm glad I did.

The area was highly populated with sports fans and there were cops/security and community wardens all over. We made our we to a sports bar called 'Harry Buffalos' which is worth a look (they do nacho's that are like a cross between a chip and a nacho really nice! ) a couple of hours before the game, chats to loads of locals and had a great time.

It was nice to do somewhere outside the tourist 'bubble' and experience 'proper' America if that makes sense.

You will have no problems there I'm sure of it. Although get there early to secure a decent parking spot.

Enjoy!
tommy999 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 14, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you Tommy999 for you reply. Must admit I did think myself that there would be plenty of police around with the game being on, so thought that if we ventured out then got back to the Amway Before the end of the game we could sit and wait for them in the bar inside maybe then all walk back to the car together.
Old 15 Dec 14, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i've been to downtown orlando a few times now at different times of the day/week, both to the amway for a game, to a bar for a gig (and also wandering round late at night when the clubs were opening) as well as driving round during the daytime, and i've *never* found it to be worrying.

as long as youre aware of your surroundings and take reasonable precautions just as you would in london, amsterdam, or any other major city, then i don't see why anyone would have a problem.

just because its not "disney safe" doesn't mean you're going to get mugged the minute you get out of your car. just avoid dark alleyways at night and don't wander round with your phone out on display or looking like mr t with all your jewellery jangling all over the place!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 14, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for your reply Wayne. Common sense says that we should be ok, but last time we went we saw some stuff that I wouldn't like to see again. Wrong place wrong time kinda thing and it just makes me a bit nervous, which is sad really. Maybe I should just man up and stop being a worrier, law of averages says that I will probably never see that kinda thing again anyway! 😁
Old 15 Dec 14, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh, now I'm intrigued (and nosey) what did you see?
Old 15 Dec 14, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Probably doesn't sound a lot to anyone who wasn't there but we took our kids to see Orlando Magic and were in a taxi on the way back from the game at the Amway and there was so much traffic because there was a big college football game on too. In her infinite wisdom the mini bus driver took a back road and then kept telling us all not to look through the windows/make eye contact with anyone as we were in an area that we should not be in and were in danger. She seemed to be in a right panic which didn't make us feel any safer. Then a young beefy guy walked up to an old guy coming out of a liquor store and knocked 7 bells out of him on the side of the road. There wasn't much movement when he finished. We were all so scared we didn't know what to do. I had nightmares about that poor old man for the rest of the holiday and the guilt in not doing anything played heavily on my mind too.
Old 15 Dec 14, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh my, that is truly an awful thing to witness. No wonder you need a lot of reassurance.
Closed Thread