Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Mar 02, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Monday 4th February 2002 – Day 3 - *We are the Men in Black, Galaxy Defenders*... and Hard Rock Cafe.

Link to Back to the Future Trip Pre Trip!

Plan: Drive and Check in HRH Garden view
US!
Shopping WalMart Evening

Hours: US 9-6 IOA 9-7

Food: Breakfast:Ponderosa/IHOP etc
Lunch: Snack
Dinner: Hard Rock Cafe

Actual:

Even feeling ropey I was awake at 4.44, 5.55 and finally 6.66am - ha, just testing, 6.06am really. What decadence, no need to change hotels! The horrible objects put Recess on very loudly and we rise and shine. Food was the important first step, so we managed to identify our individual beige car in the parking lot, amongst the red roadsters and 4x4s it was easy to spot! Denny’s appears first, near Wet and Wild, so in we go. Loads of food for the five of us - $20, and a cheerful waitress so that wasn’t too bad a start. I’m sure a heap of pancakes with syrupy fruit and whipped cream is not as healthy as it could be, but the plate of bacon and eggs was no healthier! Back to the Hotel and off for the serious business of the day, Universal Studios.

The weather is alright, could be better but no complaints. I’m afraid to say we went the long way round as I’d left Carole’s instructions for the short cut at home, with the kettle! It’s not worth waiting for the water taxi though, I’d say the walk is not really any longer than the bus stops to the parks at Disney. The path is lovely, winds down alongside the landscaped waterway, reminded me of Port Orleans Riverside.

Past the big Universal “ball” and off to Guest Services clutching our AP vouchers that have travelled 30 000 miles to go 3 miles down the road from the AAA office Mandy bought them in at Christmas, what an Angel she is! Guest Services wave us through the turnstiles to Vacation Services, and luckily it’s quiet and the rigmarole of the very terrible mugshots passes off and results in “very terrible mugshots”! So if anyone out there looks like a beige whale and wants to borrow my card they would get in no problem! The very nice man not in black hands us a discount voucher for Brits, which basically gives the discounts we get with the AP anyway. The place is deserted. We’re impressed with the appearance of both US parks, I thought they would be slightly scruffy with less detail than Disney but they were very detailed, especially Islands of Adventure, and spotless.

We did the map shuffle down the street and plan our campaign, laid back style here or what. ET pulls us in, a good start.

Unfortunately the rest of KidZone doesn’t open until 12 so we steer off for “Back to the future”. Sally is still worried about dinosaurs, last year we took her on Dinosaur as the first ride first day, and told her that Ellen’s Energy Adventure would not involve dinosaurs!

She doesn’t trust us anymore. We outsmarted Biff and thought the Men in Black had had enough preparation time, and on we went. I think there were 4 people in front of us and we were waiting to fill cars up it was so quiet. Five in a car is a big mistake, especially as the scoring is per car.  Sally’s 2 000 and Mr Nobody’s zero ensured our defeat, but boy what a good ride! I was Miss Goody Two Shoes and did what I was told, you must not press that red button! After that we were always the pathetic score, but became more daring with that red button! So after riding twice on this occasion, we went off for a play.

Woody’s Nuthouse Coaster was a blast, great for Sally, and we did all the Woodpecker noises VERY loudly. Twice round that and off to Curious George’s Playground. Now this is a wet place, and nowhere near hot enough to get drenched, so I looked after the camera and pretend to take arty photos.

The “Wild wild wild wild wild Stunt Show was a hoot and very well done, as were all the shows at Universal, but don’t mention that purple bear.  We sauntered round to Earthquake, which I preferred to Catastrophe Canyon and survived to listen too the Capella group whist my hungry mob munch on hotdogs in Amity. The themeing here was superb too. A saunter past the Rock N Roll Group outside Mel’s Drive In resulted in the lead singer wooing Sally, luckily Kate wasn’t the one picked on she would have died of embarrassment! As we have all the time in the world, that Day 1 feeling, Sally and I head back to the hotel, we know where the secret path is now and it takes 5 minutes! Steve, Kate and Laura bravely do Terminator, and join us.

Although a clearish day the air is cold but that pool is beautiful, the run up the slide steps was perishing, but the two hot tubs are bliss, if a little too hot! We had it to ourselves!

We change and walk back to CityWalk, the entrance to all three areas and the two hotels are close so no transport required here! We have to try the Hard Rock Café, and at 6pm there are around 20 people waiting, we bypass all of them with our room key card and are seated. What can I say except superb surroundings, service, food, service, food, value for money, food and food! We started with a huge plate of Nachos, Steve had the Ribs and Chicken, Kate a Bacon Beefburger, unlike any I’ve seen before, and Laura and I shared a Chicken Caesar salad. There was so much quality food that Sally shared ours and we only just cleared it.  I was not feeling that hungry mind, very unusual for me (VERY unusual). For the sake of posterity we tried to eat one Brownie Sundae and failed, it was beautiful and HUGE! The whole bill inc. tax/good tip, with beers and soft drinks, was under $70, although we did have a 10% discount. Highly recommended.

We saunter back to the room where I promptly fall asleep on the bed after devouring more pills, with Laura who found the Café music too loud.  Allegedly, the other three played giant draughts on the big board by the pool. Trip Report writing went to pot that night!

B.A. little bottle of Merlot, still unopened - it’s mine! Cups of tea: one bad one!

Tomorrow: IOA, Sweet Tomatoes and WalMart.

Day 4

Edited at 08:17 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 02, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post

We didn't know about curious georges ,  we soon found out LOL
Old 5 Mar 02, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for sharing Fiona, that foods sounds scrummy and under $70 for all of you. Have to give it a try

Deb