Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 2 Nov 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Christmas - who is cutting back?

I have decided this year to cut back on Christmas presents, food and the general splurge.

This has nothing to do with the cost but is mainly due to the overwhelming feeling that the overindulgence is not needed.

How do you feel?
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I maybe should feel like this, but I can't - I love the whole present buying, card writing and general 'special' foods etc.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

We don’t spend a lot anyway tbh.
Always felt that way about Christmas.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

We did last year... with a few of our friends. Not each other, not close family and friends and certainly not for our doggies.

I always have dinners, lunches, get togethers with friends who I am not buying for. But they all get loads of presents from family and friends I tell them I am giving to Hillside Animal Sanctuary and the Spanish and Greek dog rescue places on behalf of them instead of presents.
x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

There are only two of us. We tend to buy each other theatre tickets for Christmas and cook our own meal. We have some little treats - maybe some posh chocs or a bottle of nice brandy. But that’s it really. Doesn’t cost much.

My parents are elderly and want a gift voucher or nothing. DH’s mum and sister have a gift voucher. No kids to buy for.

We are on a tight budget but all our friends with children have even less money than us, so we decided years ago it would be ‘cards only’ at Christmas.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I urge people who feel the need to cut back, to not cut back on sending real Christmas cards. Anyone who sends me an email Christmas 'card' will get me hitting the delete button within one nano second. How can an email with a picture be a card (what a liberty).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

exactly this, i felt last year it got way out of hand. I spent 100s in supermarket and then loads on M&S food for a couple of days. Last year though i only had Christmas day off so i got stuff for convenience. This year i have a few days off before so i have time to prepare.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

I struggle when people ask for present ideas as only family we buy for, we have around £25/30 limit. We’re by no means loaded but if i really wanted something for £25 then I would have bought it myself and would rather just not bother having to try and think of ideas. I know that makes me sound like a humbug and difficult as I want to buy still for my brother and his family as they have no other family.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

My immediate family now do a Secret Santa which is working out well. We now only have to buy for one rather than everybody. We started this two Christmas’s ago and it takes some of the pressure off. It helps stop buying just for the sake of it.

Funnily enough I have just been reading quotes about decluttering and I thought of Christmas. Here are some:

“Look around, all that clutter used to be money”
“I would rather have extra space and time than extra stuff”
“It’s not a good deal if you don’t need it”
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

We've been doing this for a few years. Buying less and less food, crackers etc and general rubbish. My parents never want anything and neither do we really (although I wouldn't mind a couple of Disney-scent inspired candles. We do have kids so they do like "stuff" but we are all trying to cut back on plastic etc so the kids will get toys/games but also stuff they need like new socks, lip balm etc. My niece and nephew are teenagers and they do get money each.

In terms of Christmas dinner we tend to go for something people like rather than a big turkey just for the sake of tradition (for example, one year we had beef wellington, another year pork belly) and try not to go overboard with food and drink so we don't tend to have piles leftover that we eat for weeks.

I do cards still but some of my friends ask (on social media) to not have cards for one reason or another so the number I do has reduced down over the years.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List