Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Endeavour
VIP Dibber

Boston - when to go?

Mrs E has long wanted to visit Boston / New England in the Autumn and take a road trip around the area when the autumnal colours are at their best.

Can anyone advise which part of which month is likely to be the peak time to see this? TIA.
Endeavour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We researched this before going in the Summer of this year. October seemed to be touted as the best month, but it is easily researched. As we have School age children, Oct was not an option.

We found prices for accommodation in the Boston area (and food) to be very, very expensive. Having said that, we had a wonderful time in the City and saw all that we wanted to see in 3 nights (Freedom trail, Whale trip, Harbour cruise. Unfortunately at the end of August, the temperatures were extremely high, as was the humidity. Orlando a few days later came as a relief.

Whilst I cannot help with the areas outside Boston, I can with the city itself. (We flew in and caught the AMTRAC out to New York, thus not having a car).

My trip report (in the Disney trippie section) is called Epilogue. Planes Trains and Automobiles. It is on around page 7 (in one thread).

This book (easily available on EBay) was simple as well as excellent. It has a modern map inside the back cover with all points of interest marked.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:50 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We went to Boston and New England in early October 2017, the foliage was wonderful then, although when the foliage starts turning will be different each year

Edited at 11:10 AM.
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

We once asked about the fall and the colour of the trees and were told it can vary by weeks and weeks each year. We've driven through Boston a number of times but not stayed there yet. We've always been travelling to north Conway
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzny Momma
Excited about Disney

Having recently returned from our 10 day motorhome adventure into New England, as well as then 2 weeks at Walt Disney World, I can definitely recommend end of September into October. We picked up our transport from Hiawatha Lake area (west of Newark airport) and drove up through the green mountains as far as Stowe and back through the white mountains. Sorry can't give you much more info at the moment my daughter is writing up her notes so will post a trip report eventually. All I will say is that the scenery was spectacular, we had intended to 'do' Boston but I'm afraid the views, waterfalls and walks took over.
Margaret
Dizzny Momma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

We were in Boston mid September and then got the Amtrack down to New York which takes 3 and 1/2 hours. The trees were just turning and were very pretty. After New York we flew down to Orlando.

We didn't have one drop of rain in any city and it was also very warm in Boston and New York (80-89 every day ...in old money).
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I would go early October and head north into Maine. Portland, Boothbay Harbour, BAr Harbor and Acadia.

If you head north you will hit the peak colour at some point as the peak of colour moves north to south. There are lots of leaf peepers websites that will tell you where the exact point is on any day.

After Columbus Day many areas begin to shut down but up till then will be busy and you will need to book accomodation. The restaurants and lobster pounds will be open.

I used to live in Boston and have travelled through Stowe and New Hampshire but prefer Maine for colours.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List