Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Nov 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Yes, you're right, my mind was changing Disney Springs to Epcot!
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I know a lot of people don't agree with my comments about Disney food but we all have differing views and opinions which is great.

The question I would throw out there is would people pay cash for all the meals and snacks they get for free on the DDP?

I don't mean an upgrade from Quick Service to Table service but the whole thing.

I lay odds this forum would be full of people moaning about the extortionate prices and poor quality

To be honest we are down to 3 places to eat at and pay cash and that's probably going to drop to 2 places.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I know a lot of people don't agree with my comments about Disney food but we all have differing views and opinions which is great.

The question I would throw out there is would people pay cash for all the meals and snacks they get for free on the DDP?

I don't mean an upgrade from Quick Service to Table service but the whole thing.

I lay odds this forum would be full of people moaning about the extortionate prices and poor quality

To be honest we are down to 3 places to eat at and pay cash and that's probably going to drop to 2 places.
We’ve just paid for one oop and that was 9 dragons lunch . No way would I have paid oop for the rest although we had some very nice meals on ddp , they are extortionately overpriced .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I pay for everything OOP but either use points to stay or an AP room rate to keeps costs down as much as possible that way. We don't snack in the parks as a rule and usually eat lunch offsite apart from a couple of days.

We eat most evenings on site and even though I try to carefully select better (IMHO) options the inconsistent quality and ever increasing prices are beginning to irk me. I think we will cut back on our next trip and I'll bite the bullet and drive offsite more at night.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

I would have to agree with you.

If it was not for the dining plan we definitely would not do any character meals.

We did nearly all of them in August on DP and without the DP they would cost $200+ per meal for a family of 4.
We would not pay that sort of money OOP.

The ones we would do OOP Skipper Canteen we have done 3 times we have always had good service/food at around $100.
Teppan Edo again $100+ and there are a few others we would pay OOP

Unfortunately a lot of TS restaurants are not worth their extortionate prices.

That is why free DP is a necessity for us. 10 Character meals= $2000

Edited at 10:40 PM.
AliceCooper9 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I pay for everything OOP but either use points to stay or an AP room rate to keeps costs down as much as possible that way. We don't snack in the parks as a rule and usually eat lunch offsite apart from a couple of days.

We eat most evenings on site and even though I try to carefully select better (IMHO) options the inconsistent quality and ever increasing prices are beginning to irk me. I think we will cut back on our next trip and I'll bite the bullet and drive offsite more at night.
Dr J J. Wow, never thought I would hear you say that. By the way I love your food reports.

Guys. To put things in perspective. Tonight we will head to Bonefish Grill in Rolling Oaks. Tuesday Special.

Caesar salad or House salad
Choice of 9 entrees with two Signature sides
Dessert.

Prices start at $16.99 and top out at $22.99. That's for the 3 courses!

Their fish is excellent.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Dr J J. Wow, never thought I would hear you say that. By the way I love your food reports.

Guys. To put things in perspective. Tonight we will head to Bonefish Grill in Rolling Oaks. Tuesday Special.

Caesar salad or House salad
Choice of 9 entrees with two Signature sides
Dessert.

Prices start at $16.99 and top out at $22.99. That's for the 3 courses!

Their fish is excellent.
Thanks Mr Tom, glad you like the reports - I do enjoy doing them. It's looking back at them partly that's causing my rethink. I do enjoy onsite dining when things go right but that's not every night these days. I'm not thinking of sacking the dining off completely but choosing even more carefully and going offsite maybe alternate nights.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 05:57 AM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Originally Posted by f1girly View Post
Were you not Impressed with Teppan Edo? It's on my shortlist atm!
No we loved teppan edu, it was the only park restaurant that we really enjoyed, the others were all at Disney springs
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Dr JJ , I also enjoy your reports, but it must cost a fortune!

I am another ‘moaner’ on here about the restaurants. I once did some analysis of food prices when I had too much time on my hands, having located some old menus, and prices had on average gone up something like quadruple inflation. Tips as well of course.

I’m convinced the dining plan is a big driver. Without it, many people would not dream of paying these prices.

What really irks is that in many cases quality and expense has been reduced. So for example, in Sanaa those stew things- now only one meat, the second pot has to be vegetable. Lobster tails disappear from Narcoossees surf and turf meal, now a very expensive add on extra for a steak. List goes on and on.

Also I have encountered some very surly and entitled service. These people are on massive incomes, six figures in some cases and most will be on over $50k a year for waiting tables. So when I see surly service and attempts to push you out ASAP to maximise tip take, I get angry.

Also we seem to have places going up and down like a fiddler’s elbow in quality. One month’s hero is another month’s villain. I am a little disconcerted to see Yak and Yeti being slagged off, it was one of the best place in the parks. You need to constantly keep on top of which ones are passable or verging on good, compared to which ones have now gone downhill.
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I was curious to see how people were paying for meals around us in restaurants we ate at and barely saw any cash at all. Lots of using magic bands although obviously no way to tell if ddp or not. I do think prices are pushed up on the menus to make ddp feel better value.

Would I pay $60 for a steak at Cali grill? Absolutely not. I’m quite happy to pay $12 though.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List