Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Sky Q 2TB - Worth It?

DH is looking at SKY Q 2TB box with free single mini box for other room.
Anybody have this and can tell me good things about having it plus any bad? I believe it comes with Netflix now (is that actually worth having?)
Can you watch two different channels at the same time in (different rooms)? Would it be worth dumping Sky Cinema and just having Netflix?
Sorry for so many questions.
He has had SKY for so long he is a SKY VIP member at the highest level, that did at one time offer the above at a cheaper price, not sure it still does. Only sport he watches is F1 which he gets in his old package for free (that will change if he changes his subscription). I have had a lot of help from another DIBBer about getting a better price on what we have but just wondering if the SKY Q is worth having at a similar price he is paying now and still see what sort of deal I can get on it.
Thanks for any help.
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The 2tb box allows 4K if your tv is capable. 4K isn’t that much an improvement over hd, this will change when they introduce hdr. The extra storage is worth it.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

It is worth it imo, you can record a few programmes while watching another, also the mini box is a good addition, footie is in uhd but best of all it has the Golf .
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We've had our Sky Q 2TB box for a few years now and it's great. We can record multiple programmes (I think it might be 4 or 5) and watch different programmes in different rooms. We have 2 mini boxes and they can be unplugged and moved from room to room easily, we move one of the mini boxes from the conservatory to the office in the winter.

I'm not sure whether it automatically comes with a Netflix subscription included or whether that's a special offer. You can watch Netflix through it but with our package you need to pay extra for a subscription; either independently with Netflix or through Sky. The one with Sky has the option of Sky box sets too.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

The biggie for us was that the box belongs to them.

"We or another company in the Sky group of companies will repair or replace the loaned equipment at no cost to you if it becomes faulty"

We keep our hardware so long and record so much on there that inevitably, eventually it develops a fault (their defragmenting software is pretty pants, so the storage has hiccups after a few years of being almost full).
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We like it.

With the 2TB main box you can have 4 mini boxes as well, but can only watch the main box and 2 minis at the same time. So yes you would be able to watch something different on the main box and a mini at the same time.

It’s nice to be able to stop watching something in one room and pick it up again where you left off, in another room.

We like the Bluetooth remote, as it means our Sky boxes are hidden away.

You will lose all your Sky + recordings as they can’t transfer over. No biggie as you just build recordings back up again, but we changed over just before one Christmas and lost all our stored Christmas movies at a time we would have been watching them. We should have thought through the timing better.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
olivia
Serious Dibber

We upgraded last year as they had some good Black Friday deals. In general we find it much better. DH misses the Grand Prix channel though as no longer included and does not watch enough other sport to upgrade to sports channel.
olivia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

There's a few different Sky offers on until Thursday (though there'll be others right behind for Black Friday). You will get a discount on installation through Sky VIP.

*But* do call them to make sure the F1 channel isn't lost - I had it on an old contract but lost it with a new discounted deal.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Thanks all, that all really interesting.
Bit peeved about loosing something I have that I will not be able to get back if we change over as its so rarely show ('Michael' my fav Travolta film) & I believe DH will loose the F1 unless I can really push to keep it as he has had it since he joined SKY.

Would it be worth dumping Sky Cinema in favour of Netflix alone? I have no idea what sort of thing is available on Netflix (except The Crown that everyone goes on about).
I will have to check that out. Its still all speculative as unless I can have it all at the same price as we are paying now (£67.50) we will either stay as we are and try for a cheaper deal or look elsewhere.
Thanks again everyone. Good food for thought. Can always rely on DIBBers for help.
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Thanks all, that all really interesting.
Bit peeved about loosing something I have that I will not be able to get back if we change over as its so rarely show ('Michael' my fav Travolta film) & I believe DH will loose the F1 unless I can really push to keep it as he has had it since he joined SKY.

Would it be worth dumping Sky Cinema in favour of Netflix alone? I have no idea what sort of thing is available on Netflix (except The Crown that everyone goes on about).
I will have to check that out. Its still all speculative as unless I can have it all at the same price as we are paying now (£67.50) we will either stay as we are and try for a cheaper deal or look elsewhere.
Thanks again everyone. Good food for thought. Can always rely on DIBBers for help.
Can you not buy ‘Michael’ on a dvd/bluray so you have it anyway?

Can you not try to negotiate F1 as part of your move to Sky Q?

Ask if they can match the package you have now at the same or less cost, as you will be signing up for a new term/contract.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List