Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Sep 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Airlines have issued 10s of thousands of credit notes to people who were either daft enough, or had no choice, but to take them.
Those airlines are seeking to negate the value of those credit notes as much as possible by ramping up the prices of tickets as high as the market will allow them.

A very simplified example..
In the event of a flight, the airline can break even on £500pp return.
‘A’ has bought tickets at £600pp to fly to Orlando in March of 2020 and when cancelled has accepted a voucher for the £600 a person.
The airlines, aware of pent up demand, prices the rearranged flight in April of 2022 at £1200 a person.
The original flight never took place and therefore never cost the £500 it would normally have cost to operate, although clearly they have incurred other costs.. so they pocket that money. ‘A’ uses his voucher, and £600pp extra for the new, rearranged flight. The airline thus make another £100pp profit from him whilst writing off the voucher for £600 at the same time.
‘A’ is happy because he never spent money in Orlando on tickets, car and accommodation in either 2020 or 2021 and is feeling flush. That unspent money is there for 2022. He can thus put up with the extra expenditure on flights.
Net result.. all those travel vouchers have been rendered worthless by the increased flight prices and thus, the airlines will all be happy.

Me? I refused credit notes on all 3 cancellations, taking the cash instead.
Flights to locations other than Orlando are pretty much the same price as pre Covid and because I insisted on refund(s), I can book with whoever I like.
Next School Easter hols, it is London-Toronto and the Miami-London.. directs and at £490pp including hold luggage.( I could have flown home Orlando-London at the same price). I will spend 3 days seeing Toronto and Niagara before flying Buffalo-Orlando (£120 inc hold baggage) and spending the next 12 nights in Florida.

If I hadn’t booked that, then it would have been into San Francisco and out of Las Vegas at £510 plus hold luggage. Pretty much any return option, multi city or otherwise next Easter School Hols is running at £500-£550… unless you are fixated by directs into and out of Orlando.

I will not be taken for a mug by any airline and if they had similarly ramped up all USA fares, I would have gone East instead to Vietnam/ Cambodia.

Edited at 01:20 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
Look at flying to Tampa (or another regional) instead of Orlando, or an indirect, could saves thousands.
I don't think we can get a direct flight to tampa from manchester can we?
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Answer….

Covid fall out.

Disney332
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
I don't think we can get a direct flight to tampa from manchester can we?
No, only Gatwick. But the saving on this could be worth the extra travel required for a family in peak.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

basic economics will push prices sky high.
Huge increase in demand
Much lower holidays and flights available
Airlines etc are holding a huge liability in vouchers and changeable flights. this also has the added problem of reducing predictability of finance which will hit things further
Companies have lost £billions that needs clawed back for them to survive

Edited at 04:45 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
People who go every year keen to get back... may have missed two years

People who go every other year due to go back... may have missed one year

People who go every three years due to go back... may have also missed a year

People who have saved on holidays over the last couple of years wanting to spurge

People who don't normally go to States or even away wanting to celebrate

Delayed Honeymoons / Babymoons as well as new Honeymoons or Babymoons.

Parents thinking it doesn't matter if children miss 3 or 4 weeks of school after last 2 years so going in term time.

People banking annual leave for last couple of years needing a break

Families wanting big holidays because they haven't seen grandparents or extended family members.

Airlines understanding this demand and having £Millions of pounds of vouchers

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Everything - absolutely everything - is more expensive now.
I couldn’t agree more!
Mrs sun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

CornishFrogboy and Wobbles have got it right...but CFB uses the word 'negate' for the credit notes, where I would use devalue, Although the principle is the same.

Your voucher is worth the same, but crucially now isn't enough to to buy you a seat without supplementing it. Then because you have the voucher, you can't take that money and spend it anywhere else. Given voucher people have already part paid for their seats, if the seats don't sell at the inflated prices, it's far less of a big deal. if the demand fills the planes at higher prices, then happy days.

The key difference in having taken cash refunds is flexibility, as CFB said he can now spend his money where he wants.
Top and bottom is they are charging what they can get away with. If Aer Lingus get going they might add Manchester competition, but realistically we've still not seen the price hike effect of no Thomas Cook yet.
Old 6 Sep 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Everything - absolutely everything - is more expensive now.
Is it? Just returned from 5 star inclusive holiday to Cyprus at half the price of 2019. Looking at going again at the end of October
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by yogadeb View Post
Yes sorry for confusion it was virgin holidays I was looking on for Easter 2023

Prices well OTT atm
That explains it - Virgin Holidays 😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List