Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 1 Sep 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thumbs up Anthem Of The Seas - British Isles Mini Cruise - Day 2 - Swimming and formal night

As usual with our kids it was a reasonably early start. I clearly headed down to the smoking area first thing as I took a picture of this piece of art that is on the Esplanade outside of Vintages at 07:30. This is was my primary route to this smoking area.

I then headed to the cafe Promenade to grab Sally a coffee on the way back up to the suite.

We got the kids ready and headed up to breakfast about 08:20.

We headed to Coastal Kitchen for breakfast. It was lovely and relaxed so we opted for this every morning rather than the Windjammer. It was also a faint hope that I would put on less weight if I avoided the Windjammer for breakfast... how much would I have put on if I didn't?

The menu was pretty much standard every day for Breakfast in Coastal Kitchen.

We were sat by the window this morning and it was a lovely view to enjoy whilst eating breakfast.

They always brought pastries around to get you started. Sally and Benjamin had one each. A doughnut for breakfast became Benjamin's staple this week.

I was pretty boring and went for the classic each morning.

Sally mixed it up a little more than me and had poached eggs this morning.

Emma had a bowl of Special K. I would imagine Benjamin had Coco Pops this morning but I didn't get a picture.

After breakfast we headed off to the indoor swimming pool. The indoor pool was such a bonus on these Quantum Class ships when not sailing in the more tropical climates... like the UK.

We started off in the hot tub.

It was probably a mistake to start in here as it was inevitable Emma would drag me in the swimming pool and it felt a bit chilly in comparison. This was the one any only time Benjamin got in the hot tub or pool all week. He was much happier sitting on a sun bed with one of us watching the world go by. Covid literally ended any swimming lessons for either of them and is a massive priority for us to get them arranged for when we get home.

Emma loves being in the water. The swimming pools were nicely heated though and not salt water like I had read incorrectly somewhere before we went.

After an hour or two we called it a day and went to explore. It started to get a bit busier around this time and due to Covid measures they had maximum numbers allowed in the pools at any one time. There was a maximum of 11 in the indoor pool, 14 in the outside pool and 6 in a hot tub. Whilst I get the necessity I found it a bit silly having 11 in a pool all spaced out with another 10 standing poolside queueing shoulder to shoulder. I think that needs some more thought but these are the times we are in I suppose.

A couple of shots of the outdoor pool with the Northstar above as we had a little wander around. I know I had a couple of cocktails by this point as I tended to start fairly early. We we were on holiday afterall...

We decided look into the art auction that was about to start in Boleros as we passed through the ship. We had VIP access to have a look at the art early... I'm not sure how that happened or if they was just blowing smokes up our ...

Anyway we grabbed another cocktail each to enjoy during the auction. I have no idea what mine was but I remember it being strong. Sally's was mojito.

We were given our bidding card which had some stickers on which you could place on art you were interested in to ensure it got auctioned. Sally placed a couple of cards on things she liked.

Anyway, the auction started and it soon became apparent it wasn't for us. The first one sally was interested in the bidding started at about $5200... my bidding card was placed firmly under my bottom and not to be seen again Needless to say we left before the auction ended

Joking aside if you like art the ship is absolutely littered with artwork at every turn. It is a beautiful ship to look around.

I little stroll took us to the bionic bar next. It was good fun to design your own drink or select a classic and watch it being made. Drinks packages are obviously honored here too. According to my photos it was 11:48 by now so it was certainly time to partake.

I can't recall what Sally had but I know I had a Sex on the beach which was very nice.

About 12:20 it was obviously time to eat again so we headed off to the Windjammer for lunch. We never really got round to growing the appetite to head back to Coastal for a three course lunch but I have no doubt it would have been excellent.

Sally and I had another nice selection of food but I never got a picture of it. I could never fault any of the food on this cruise and the selection was vast.

We also had a little selection of desserts between us.

I'm certain there would have been an alcoholic accompaniment but I didn't take a picture. I do have a list of the drinks consumed today though which I will pop at the end again.

The kids decided that what they would like to do after lunch was play some games. As we had read that some young children had been a bit bored on previously sailings we had taken a selection of games and toys for them. We took Uno and Frustration down to The Schooner Bar for a bit of family game time. It was by pure chance that we ended up in a bar to do it.

We had a little selection of drinks in here which I know included champagne cocktails and martinis.

There was a pianist playing in the Schooner Bar and also a music quiz happening towards the end of our little game session.

We had another little look around and, like all good parents do, stopped for a quick Posh G&T at Vintages before heading up to start getting ready for the first formal night.

Deddy often served us in Vintages. He was a lovely guy and really friendly with the kids. He was from Bail and is Wife had actually had their fourth child whilst he was working these UK sailings so he was yet to meet them.

I think we took a 'take out' from vintages to have whilst we were back getting ready.

All washed up and ready for the evening Emma helped Benjamin to get ready.

It has been along time since we have got dressed up to go out and certainly a lot longer since we had done a formal night on a cruise. We deiced to throw ourselves into it.

Before dinner we headed down to the concierge lounge as they served hors d'oeuvres and petits fours in there between 17:30 and 20:30 for sky class and star class guests. The loung is located deck 12 Aft and was very pleasant.

We had a little pre dinner snack and a glass of wine or two before we headed off to Coastal Kitchen.

Our coastal kitchen table was booked for 18:00 although I think we were probably a little late.

I can't remember what this starter was to be honest but it was very nice.

I had the Ribeye for main course which was more like a Prime Rib.

I don't have pictures of Sally's so I can only presume she had the same. I'm really not sure o be honest.

Benjamin had steak.

Whilst Emma had Pizza and chips.

Lourdes did some more drawing with Emma after dinner which was usually one of the things Emma most looked forward to.

After dinner we decided to have a few photos taken. At different times there were a number of photographers located around the ship. We pre booked a photo package on the cruise planner before we went and it was a bit of a bargain really.

We then headed down to the Music Hall to see what was happening. This was a really cool venue with a decent live band on. It was a shame that the covid restrictions still precluded dancing as I would imagine it would be really lively here in normal times.

Benjamin gave in and fell asleep. This was at about 20:30

We enjoyed a couple of drinks before calling it a night.

Emma said she was cold so I gave her my jacket for the walk back to the room.

Once back at the room Sally and I sat on the balcony for a while once the kids were asleep. We were a little tipsy and something tickled Sally to the point that she was crying with laughter.

This would probably be explained by our drinks count for the day...

So for day two the drinks package was £89.76... A rough estimate would be that without the package today the drinks would have cost about £260.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I definitely need to up my game on my cocktail intake for my next cruise!
Lovely day 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
I definitely need to up my game on my cocktail intake for my next cruise!
Lovely day 😊
We hit a crescendo by day 5…. Then crashed and burned on the last day. It was nice to actually just try all the drinks we fancied without thinking of cost. We never actually ended up getting drunk…. Apart from maybe on day 5 😂
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

How was formal night, did everyone dress up for dinner? or was it a mix of formal and casual?
Old 1 Sep 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

I would say it was a real mix. There was everything from tuxedos, suits all the way down to shorts and T-shirts. I don’t think anyone would feel out of place whatever they wore.
Old 1 Sep 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Loving both of the trip reports from this cruise.

Good effort with the cocktails!
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Breakfast looked lovely. Brilliant that there’s an indoor pool too! Like you say the UK isn’t great for swimming outdoors. The auction made me laugh

Awww poor Deddy, I hope he gets to meet his child soon. You all look so lovely suited and booted, it’s so nice to get dressed up though isn’t it. Not sure about you, but the best part of the last 18 months, I’ve spent in slob clothes or PJs

Oh the professional photos are beautiful, I hope you have these framed at home! What a lovely idea. At least the last pic kind of explains Sally’s giggling fit another amazing day, thank you for sharing x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List