Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Oct 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I must admit it’s never been on my bucket list. I have heard stories from others that have had trouble there. Harassment of women is very common from those I know that have been.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Horrible place and harassment of women is disgusting
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

With the level of our cases and talk of variants I am surprised more countries have not stopped us from going.
BTW we went to Morocco about 5 years ago and really like it. Nice clean hotel, staff very friendly. Did quite a few trips, but also went into Marrakech on our own and felt quite safe = went with my daughter who was late teens/early 20 at the time, long blond hair and she was treated very respectfully by the locals.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

What that link doesnt say is - they have also banned flights from Germany and the Netherlands.

but hey - its better to make it seem its just us isnt it BBC.
Old 20 Oct 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
State27
Imagineer

Just seen this make the news here . 🙁
State27 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
What that link doesnt say is - they have also banned flights from Germany and the Netherlands.

but hey - its better to make it seem its just us isnt it BBC.
Likely because their viewers are predominantly UK citizens .
Just as German media has reported only their nation in a similar news break earlier.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
That’s very unfair.
Please bear in mind that Colette is a northerner and they don’t have a Greggs on every street corner in London like they do up north so she wouldn’t be able to have greasy pastries for breakfast, lunch and dinner in London.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
They're gearing up for another lockdown here in the UK, lots of warning signs in the media over the past few Days. Covid Lockdown powers were extending last night in Parliament, yet not a peep from the media.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
They're gearing up for another lockdown here in the UK, lots of warning signs in the media over the past few Days. Covid Lockdown powers were extending last night in Parliament, yet not a peep from the media.
Wont happen.

If it did they would have to admit the vaccination program has failed and we have no way out - ever.
Old 20 Oct 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Interesting views on Morocco.

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Many parts are a dump
They are cruel to animals
They are Anti gay
They openly selling drugs in the streets
Many aggressive and dishonest locals harassing and ripping off tourists
We went a few years ago, staying in Marrakesh and the mountains. We found it an absolutely fascinating and often beautiful country, not nearly as black as it's been painted in some of the posts on this thread, but definitely not without issues. But it's hard to judge it against our standards and with the best will in the world, it isn't a first world country.

There's no denying the anti gay aspect - if I was gay I wouldn't set foot there for fear of my own safety. However features described in this thread are also true of many other countries. For example I've seen awful animal cruelty in Spain and Turkey, dreadful poverty and areas I wouldn't want to walk through in the US (including Florida) and even in the UK, and encountered aggressive locals in Tunisia and Egypt. And of course some parts of the US are also very anti-gay indeed.

We stayed in small, locally run riads in Morocco, including in the heart of old Marrakesh - never a big chain hotel - and encountered some really kind and hospitable people.
We'd done our research and were very aware of what we'd encounter out on the streets. We dressed in a respectful way and were as prepared as we could be for what we might encounter, and found that a smile and firm No was usually enough. And if not, we just walked away. Sometimes you definitely need a thick skin and a strong will!

We knew that asking for directions can lead to misdirections, so when we needed to, we went into a modern pharmacy and asked the shop assistant, and found that worked well.

It's definitely not for the faint hearted, but I'd recommend it for a visit as long as you do your research first, be careful, and accept it for what it is - a flawed but fascinating country. Not that you can go there now of course!
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List