Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Oct 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Missin_Disney
Apprentice Imagineer

Mears DME Replacement

Hi Guys

Not sure if this has already been posted. Link below on details of Mears DME replacement including pricing

disneyfoodblog/2021/...-disney-world/

Personal feeling, if we weren't hiring a car we'd pay it, even the premium version

Looking at the amount of hotels its servicing (including DS hotels and others) the 'standard' service might entail a long journey!

Thoughts?
Missin_Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

I think we will probably just use either Lyft or Uber for a few dollars more.
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The news has been around for a while, there'll be posts on it but they're probably buried.

Yes it services a lot of hotels but they also have a large coach fleet as they currently run DME for Disney. So I expect much the same service to operate, where you may stop at 2-3 other resorts depending on load.

It's worth it for 1 or maybe 2 people but beyond that, an Uber is likely to be cheaper and more convenient.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

so $200 for the premium "round trip"? at $50 (per trip) for a large uber this wouldnt make sense for a party of 4 even with surge pricing. For standard it makes zero sense (for a family, might work out for a single rider) now the luggage transfer has stopped.

Happy limo will be cheaper and wait for you with a card. Im sure there are lots of other prebook car transfers (if you dont fancy grabbing the first taxi you see). Car transfers might even allow a stop along the way to snag some quick groceries (doubt they will wait for a "full shop" mind!

Edited at 09:24 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Its a shame that the "premium" service is only available (at least initially) as a round trip. We are going to be needing a one way transfer (for Animal Kingdom Lodge), I would likely go for the premium service if it was available as a one way ticket.

I guess its time to start properly looking at the alternatives, not something I had ever needed to consider before. I had hoped that car hire prices would have returned to something approaching normality by now, so the cost of hiring a car for the extra week + the resort parking would be similar to the incredibly expensive current car hire for the second half of the trip + the transfers...
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

I hope the new service is better than what we saw when we returned home last weekend. There were huge queues in the hall near the rentals counters and we were looking at which rental company was struggling with customers when the porter wheeling our cases said it was the queue for the DME - and that it was a regular thing.

Only ever used DME once, many years ago, and it wasn't the best start to our holiday being very slow and disorganised and when we got on the bus we were, maybe unreasonably, expecting more than just a bus ride. Didn't feel very magical.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I've booked it for my trip next September. As a non-driver I'm used to getting buses everywhere and for me, the DME started the holiday. I'll be interested to see what the arrival souvenir is.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List