Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 Oct 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Low carb/eating out

Looking towards our next trip (2023), I was thinking about food 😁😁.

Since our last visit, I've had to change to low carb due to blood glucose issues.

Has anyone found it harder/ more difficult to eat out while following low carb? I'm guessing it won't be an issue in most places to change fries to salad etc.

We'll be eating off-site for lunch or dinner and some breakfasts.

Any recommendations on specific places to eat would also be great.

Thank you
Old 24 Oct 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

I don’t eat much in the way of carbs, and I have never had an issue in getting vegetables instead of fries, and there are always lots of salad choices.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by FloridaNuts93 View Post
I don’t eat much in the way of carbs, and I have never had an issue in getting vegetables instead of fries, and there are always lots of salad choices.
I was hoping that would be the case. Thank you.
Old 24 Oct 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes I often just ask for my Salad to come with no dressing with my main course or swap out fries for veg never been an issue
I do take my own vinaigrette in a small bottle for the salad though usually the raspberry one from Winn Dixie I love it
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Yes I often just ask for my Salad to come with no dressing with my main course or swap out fries for veg never been an issue
I do take my own vinaigrette in a small bottle for the salad though usually the raspberry one from Winn Dixie I love it
Thank you.
Are most places ok with you taking your own dressing?
I don't think I've ever been in a Winn Dixie 🤔
Old 24 Oct 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Never had a problem I just decant enough in to a small plastic bottle if we eat out
I use Winn Dixie as we are lucky to have it Walmart Publix Aldi Dollar General Market all 5 mins from the house
But all the supermarkets have a huge range of dressings many carb free

Edited at 03:07 PM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Never had a problem I just decant enough in to a small plastic bottle if we eat out
I use Winn Dixie as we are lucky to have it Walmart Publix Aldi Dollar General Market all 5 mins from the house
But all the supermarkets have a huge range of dressings many carb free
Thank you
Old 7 Jan 22, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
homerthecowboy
Trying for More Ears

I'm diabetic and struggle enough in the UK so dreading America, things that should be ok here often have added ingredients or marinade on it drives me insane spiking blood levels when you order "safe" things
homerthecowboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by homerthecowboy View Post
I'm diabetic and struggle enough in the UK so dreading America, things that should be ok here often have added ingredients or marinade on it drives me insane spiking blood levels when you order "safe" things
Totally agree - they drive me mad fiddling around with food ! Ive been staying with a guy for a month and watching him cook etc and studying the ingredients of foods etc. I really dont think USA know the meaning of plain untampered with food ! Plus everything seems to last forever as its pumped with preservatives
Old 8 Jan 22, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

There was a recent thread with some great ideas:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1211054

Denise - I know what you mean! I have read a few books about US food and it gave me the impression that the longevity of the food, as well as what it looked like, was considered much more important than anything else (eg taste!)

Homerthecowboy, are you T1 or T2? Insulin dependent? Pump? How do you test your BG?

I manage OK abroad (generally) but I tend to avoid processed / battered / fried food and make conscious choices to limit carbs. I’m a pretty good guesser for carb values after 44 years of practice but how quickly the carbs spike you can be harder. Menus help with the amount of carbs at least.