Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Oct 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Alternative transport from the northwest

Hi everyone,

Its always god to pick other peoples brains lol so here goes,

We are flying Heathrow to mco in June, we live in Liverpool so my thoughts were shuttle or drive to Heathrow, shuttle is coming in around £350 for the 3 of us, now iam petrified of leaving my car at Heathrow, for one i don't want anyone else driving it and two there is that many horror stories iam reading in reviews of stolen cars, catalytic converters being removed (even in airports own long stay carparks). A lot of the hotel car parks round Heathrow don't look very secure so Iam considering the train the day before and staying at the Sofital at T5. Anyone done the train down from the north or anyone any thoughts on any of the above, any advice would be great.
Old 28 Oct 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Trains from here to London are astronomical now Virgin don’t run them 😭 I miss the days when it was £12.50 each way!

We’re doing BA MAN-LHR the night before and staying over in an airport hotel. You might be able to do twilight bag drop when you get off the Manchester leg too.

Hope you find something x
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

We did a trip from LHR recently driving down the night before, dropping the car with M&G, staying at the T3 in-terminal hotel which all went fine. The problem was driving back home to Manchester after a transatlantic flight which was just bordering on dangerous as I didn't sleep on the flight. I stopped a couple of times to make sure I didn't endanger us but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I wouldn't like to mess about with trains, carrying the cases and all that so a shuttle would be my preferred option. Is that £350 cost for getting to LHR and back? Our hotel cost around £70 and parking around £165 plus admittedly cheap fuel as the car is electric but if I could have someone drive us there and back for £350 I would take that option.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
We did a trip from LHR recently driving down the night before, dropping the car with M&G, staying at the T3 in-terminal hotel which all went fine. The problem was driving back home to Manchester after a transatlantic flight which was just bordering on dangerous as I didn't sleep on the flight. I stopped a couple of times to make sure I didn't endanger us but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I wouldn't like to mess about with trains, carrying the cases and all that so a shuttle would be my preferred option. Is that £350 cost for getting to LHR and back? Our hotel cost around £70 and parking around £165 plus admittedly cheap fuel as the car is electric but if I could have someone drive us there and back for £350 I would take that option.
Yes £350 is return with BA including bags for the 3 of us
Apologies if confused, just re read your reply, i meant BA Heathrow shuttle.

Edited at 01:27 PM.
scouser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Ah, of course - shuttle = flight.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Update... after much deliberation I have decided to do the drive, I will take plenty of breaks on the way back up north if feeling tired. Just incase it helps anyone I ended up booking purple parking park and ride next to the premier inn on bath road, got a great deal of £69.95 and that's for 18 days parking, also includes transfer to terminals for free.
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Good luck…. The drive back up north is what would put me off really.

At least you will have the full day to do it…. Just don’t be tempted to try do it in one. We have all done it before on a long journey…
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. My drive is less than yours is but I always use the car.

Personally I wont use self parking as I want to know what state my car is as I leave it and want it in the same condition when I return. Hence I use meet and greet and both they and I video/photograph the bodywork and alloys before they drive off. I know where they park it as I check my dash cam when I get home.

Mates of mine have had their doors dinged and bumpers cracked in self parking and have no idea who caused it sadly.

I have a new car arriving (allegedly) in December so will be handing over the keys to a nearly new car next February. Any issues I will hit their Insurers for the costs.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Personally I wont use self parking as I want to know what state my car is as I leave it and want it in the same condition when I return. Hence I use meet and greet and both they and I video/photograph the bodywork and alloys before they drive off. I know where they park it as I check my dash cam when I get home.

Mates of mine have had their doors dinged and bumpers cracked in self parking and have no idea who caused it sadly.

I have a new car arriving (allegedly) in December so will be handing over the keys to a nearly new car next February. Any issues I will hit their Insurers for the costs.
Have you found someone good at Heathrow?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Like you Tom we use meet and greet, have only ever used the official Heathrow one at Terminal 5 they are very efficient, use them several times a year (normally) and never had an issue.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List