Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 6 Oct 21, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

How does dining credit compare v old dining plan?

Hi, it seems to me that the new dining credit plan offered is a poor substitute for the original free dining plan. It's been a while since I've been there, so not really familiar with the cost of dining, but I can't imagine that the dining credit will go too far. Being per room of course further dilutes it's value, whereas the old plan was per person. Another advantage of the original was that it didn't differentiate on price at the same standard of dining, but simply had one credit for snacks, mains, etc.

I'm sure though someone has done a comparable study, but I can't really imagine the credit system being anything like as good value.
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

As a solo visitor it's fine for me. Also it's less restricting than the dining plan as it can be used for any sort of eatery. Eg, in bars and not just restaurants. Also you can eat what you like, not limited to what the plan says.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

There's not really a standard comparison as it completely depends on your circumstances. But having said that, yes it will be a worse deal for most people. And it's not pretending to be better. That's just Disney in 2021, you get less for more.

For me, it's actually better as an effective cash value is more flexible than credits that can only be used on fixed items. And as a single person staying in a value, $36 is actually a decent increase over the 1 QS credit they used to give.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post

We’ve booked with the dining credit for 2022 and have previously paid for the deluxe dining plan.

I’m happy with a bit more flexibility of the credit as we felt ‘forced’ into starter, main and pud and probably over stretched over selves during the fortnight so will prefer to eat when we’re hungry and only choose what we want for fear of wasting the plan.

The value isn’t the same though but will be interesting to see how far it stretches!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

For us (a couple who love their Signatures) it is rubbish. But better than nothing.

We will probably take the opportunity to do some things we couldn’t do on the DDP, such as lounges, and appetisers. But we are resigned to having to fork out a lot of extra money.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Taking Port Orleans French Quarter as an example, 7 nights on September gives $427 per room, that's $30.50 per day. Would that be sufficient to cover breakfast and an evening main there I wonder?
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Taking Port Orleans French Quarter as an example, 7 nights on September gives $427 per room, that's $30.50 per day. Would that be sufficient to cover breakfast and an evening main there I wonder?
Depending what you order, yes. As an example from their current menu...

Breakfast sandwich $8.79 ($9.36 after tax)
Fried chicken dinner $14.99 ($15.96 after tax)
That leaves you around $5 for a drink or extra snack.

I tried to choose mid-range price options from the adult menu, you could go even cheaper if you wanted. For example, kids meals are typically around half the price of an adults and still a good size portion. And they won't blink an eye at you ordering from the kids menu at any QS restaurant. Or get a snack for breakfast instead of a full meal, etc. $30 can actually stretch pretty far if you get creative. I currently have my $36 credit covering 3 meals and a snack every day, all meals on-site - and that even includes one (cheap) TS meal.

If you're going to be eating a lot at the resort as opposed to elsewhere on property, it would probably be worth buying the resort refillable mug for $20. Then all soft drinks are covered.

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Old 6 Oct 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Depends how many people. It won’t be for our family of 4
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bronny View Post
Depends how many people. It won’t be for our family of 4
The credit is $61/day, so I assumed they were 2 people given they asked what $30.50 would get.
Old 6 Oct 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

the new dining credit is very poor value compared to the old dining plan but if your staying onsite anyway its better than nothing. It works better for solo travellers but for families it offers lot less value. I do like the flexibility of the new offer a total amount to spend how you want rather than set credits but we will still need to pay for quite a bit oop.

Disney don't really need to offer incentives at the moment people are going to go regardless after not being able to visit due to covid and with the 50th anniversary happening.
You can see by the crowd pics the reduced offerings for the same or even increase costs has not put people off.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List