Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Oct 21, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
dont get me wrong im an iphone user but just as an example one of my mates has a phone to make calls/text

he has no social media , not even whatsapp, so in this instance he would be at a disadvantage despite spending the same $$ to get in

some elderly park visitors would be in the same boat... just surprised disney didnt think to make provision for them
Alas, it's the 21st century, it's a tool for the masses not necessarily the minority, rightly or wrongly. Conversely, if Disney didn't create Genie or something like it, they'd be blasted for not moving with the times. Can't win!
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Phone zombies are here to stay, maybe Disney are doing it deliberately to cut back on decorations, paint etc I mean you don't need them if guests are just looking at screens
Maybe Disney will add a Halloween/Christmas/Easter/etc augmented reality filter to the app? You'll be able to hold your phone up with the camera on and it'll show you the park around you virtually decorated with the season's festive decorations.

Now, where's Bob Paycheck's email address. I want my cut for this suggestion...

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
dont get me wrong im an iphone user but just as an example one of my mates has a phone to make calls/text

he has no social media , not even whatsapp, so in this instance he would be at a disadvantage despite spending the same $$ to get in

some elderly park visitors would be in the same boat... just surprised disney didnt think to make provision for them
Its the same with Disney Cruise Line, they are transferring many guest experiences onto the App and people without a smart phone are at a disadvantage.

It seems to be a company wide policy, to invest in digital technology and Apps and transfer guest experiences to digital.

Its nothing different to my SME clients changing from brochure websites and selling in their bricks and mortar stores to ecommerce websites and online selling. Ask any SME, or large corporation like Disney, their stats will be the same 75 to 80% of their customers are using smart phones to access their products and services. Everyone is changing their business model to make things easier for those who make them the most money and the most money is being generated through smart phone users, ecommerce websites and Apps.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Think this video is the best example how to get around Disney World without looking at his phone once.

2007,2008,2011 I didn’t even take my phone on holiday the other half had hers. 2016 I did take my phone as my DD wasn’t 40 inches so did attractions on our own and texted or FaceTimed when we got the attraction. I did the FP at home and the extra 1’s the misses added. The only time I was on my phone the most was checking the football scores.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
2007,2008,2011 I didn’t even take my phone on holiday the other half had hers.
I don't think I even owned a smartphone in those years. I think the first time I owned a smart phone was around 2013 or so. And Disney didn't really have much stuff online at those times so you didn't need a smartphone either. It's only since around 2013 when MyMagic+ started that most people started bringing smartphones.

Everyone's moving more towards being online. My MIL is struggling now because her banking is now all done online and she's in her mid-70s so doesn't 'get' technology. She wanted to get paper bank statements but couldn't - you had to look at it using the bank's app.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I don't think I even owned a smartphone in those years. I think the first time I owned a smart phone was around 2013 or so. And Disney didn't really have much stuff online at those times so you didn't need a smartphone either. It's only since around 2013 when MyMagic+ started that most people started bringing smartphones.

Everyone's moving more towards being online. My MIL is struggling now because her banking is now all done online and she's in her mid-70s so doesn't 'get' technology. She wanted to get paper bank statements but couldn't - you had to look at it using the bank's app.
I had 1 in 2011 as I had a Samsung. In 07&08 the only time I used the Internet was when we went the Internet cafe in Disney Quest and needed to in 08 as we were in Orlando when XL airways went busy and needed to know what was going on and how we were getting home.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I expect Disney knew how many people were using alternative forms to access the fast pass system before (such as the in-park screen access) and took a calculation accordingly. If the vast majority were using their phones to access the system, that’s the way to go for them.
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

Phone use is definitely going to increase because of Genie+.
Back in the ole days I did not use the phone that much until lunch.
FPs between 10am-1pm then during lunch we would look at the phone and start the rolling fastpasses.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Was always going to happen because of how it’s designed in only booking selections once you’ve tapped in to the first etc.

Perhaps like in any relationship, once the excitement wears off after a few months it will be less of an issue, but otherwise I imagine it’s the new norm
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List