Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jul 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cherub85 View Post
My dad has to have these regularly as he has a clot that they measure each time to check it’s not growing. I think he now goes about every 3 months. It’s a bit scary but we know it can be operated on if it gets too big. Without this I guess the worse really could happen.
Hubbys best friend has his scan at 65 and they found a bulge. They have been checking him everything 3 months up until last year when they advised an operation. He had it done last November, they found another bulge as well as the initial one. Was a big operation and he was in ICU after but it saved his life.
One of our old neighbours was taken ill as few years ago, he thought it was appendicitis but it was an aneurysim. Unfortunately this was before men over 65 were scanned. He passed away on the operating table. Total shock as he was a very fit man who had only just retired.
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

I was invited for mine 6 years ago. Everything was fine and of course painless.

My 91 year old F in Law has two bulges but an operation is out of the question due to his frailty.
Old 8 Jul 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Great post! I am female but my friend in the NHS is a manger who runs the South West area for this procedure says the hardest part is getting men to come for the check up.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MarionG View Post
Hubbys best friend has his scan at 65 and they found a bulge. They have been checking him everything 3 months up until last year when they advised an operation. He had it done last November, they found another bulge as well as the initial one. Was a big operation and he was in ICU after but it saved his life.
One of our old neighbours was taken ill as few years ago, he thought it was appendicitis but it was an aneurysim. Unfortunately this was before men over 65 were scanned. He passed away on the operating table. Total shock as he was a very fit man who had only just retired.
That is sad. So glad they screen now.
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by janeywaney View Post
My dad had AAA luckily his was found, not through screening but by chance he had a CT scan and they flagged it up from there. Big op to have but he’s still here to tell the tale ❤️

Jane
Exactly same with ky Dad. They were looking for something else when they found the AAA. Op done within a week as far as I recall. That was around 15 years ago, he’s been fine ever since.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Good post Mr TM. Luckily I'm over that age and had mine here (Scotland) a good number of years.
As you say quick and painless one not to miss.
Described to me as a cycle inner tube with a large bulge in it if you can imagine that you'll understand how important it is.
Old 9 Jul 21, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
My DH went for this a few months ago all ok. I hadn’t heard of it before
linder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 21, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
Great post! I am female but my friend in the NHS is a manger who runs the South West area for this procedure says the hardest part is getting men to come for the check up.
The hardest part where I live (North West) is finding out about these things. My DH is 73 & we’ve never heard of this screening. Mind you, I was 67 (DH 69) before we found out about the flu jab - from a newspaper article.

Mr T - thanks for posting. 👍
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 21, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Our best mate had an AA at age 48 and died. He didn’t know he had it. He was fit and healthy with no symptoms.

Please get tested if you can.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 21, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
dil2373
Getting Excited

I have mine checked every 3 months it's now at 4.9cm (not grown for the last 9 months) NHS will operate when it gets to 5.5cm.
not sure if Its better to have stayed the same size next time, or at least if it has grown I can get the op over with.