Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 13 Oct 21, 05:12 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile Advice on buying myself a tablet

I would like to buy a tablet but I don't know where to start.
Would like something of a reasonable screen size.
To play games and watch movies.
Now I'm not very technically minded so I take it this works off my wi-fi can I take it out and about and if so how does that work.
Do I need any sort of SIM card.
Can I use it to surf the internet.
Thank you any help and info greatly appreciated
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Some tablets are Wi-Fi only snd some use a SIM card as well.

If you get one with a SIM card you will have to pay a monthly bill like a phone bill for the data.

Personally, I have a Wi-Fi only iPad. I really only use it at home. If I am out and about I would use my phone.

However, it is possible to download movies while you are at home to watch later. And it would depend on the game whether you needed internet access to play away from home.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
budget is the main factor when buying a tablet

if you have £200.00 to spend or £600.00 to spend your buying options wll be very different

any tablet will allow you to surf the net and stream media using a wi-fi connection at home or an open w-fi whilst out and about

l have a tablet without a sim but l do have a phone contract that allows tethering so l can use my phone as a mobile hotspot to connect the tablet when out and about
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a samsung phone and tablet. I have wifi only for tablet as only use at home and all apps linked through phone and tablet. I recently updated my tablet and didnt want to spend loads so bought the samsung A7 and so far it's been great. I think I paid around £160 direct from samsung and it's got 32 MB memory but I've bought a memory sd card for it to increase storage.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

As with the others. I have an IPad at home, WiFi only and that I also take on vacation. I see no circumstances where I would need to use it whilst out of WiFi range. I use my I Phone for that.

Which one?, well with an Apple I Phone and a MacBook Pro, an I Pad is best for me. I have had my current one for around 5 years and it is doing just fine. If I had a Samsung phone, then I would in probability have a Samsung tablet.
There is a new one coming out around now, the 9th generation and I believe that with the now standard 64gb, it comes in at £319.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:00 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just get an iPad. The fact is in tablet world, nothing really comes close in my view. I’ve got 3 iPads, Samsungs and have had many other Android tablets over the years, and it tells you something my Android tablets are mainly confined to a drawer, but my son still uses my ancient iPad 3 on holiday for video and Netflix etc.
A great one is last year’s iPad Air which is brilliant (I have it with new Apple Pencil) but they just brought out a new standard iPad for about £300 (9th generation) and nothing really touches it for the money.
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

We have a Samsung Tab A7 recently purchased and its great. Cheap (way cheaper than anything apple) and does the job. It's wifi only, if I want to watch things while not on wifi I download them for later.
We mostly use it for toddler entertainment but it can do everything a phone can
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i'd suggest getting a sub £100 amazon tablet or similar to start with, and then if you outgrow it, spend more on an ipad or samsung/etc

if you have specific games or apps in mind, check they are available on whatever tablets app store...

otherwise, set yourself a budget and see whats available in the price range.

you could do a lot worse than the 10" fire tablet, currently on offer at £110

amazon/fire-hd-10-...f_=as_li_ss_tl

the 8" version is only £60 too. this would be where i would start off if you want something a bit smaller.

as for sim cards and all that, no need as long as your phone allows a wifi tethering/hotspot mode

HTH
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Another vote for an IPad, nothing compares, I have an iPad mini
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I am not a fan of anything Apple tbh, the rest of my family are but not me. I find it all so overpriced.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List