Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 15 Oct 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Picalily View Post
For the last 6 years we have had an indian takeaway for Christmas dinner, makes a really relaxing day and we have a Christmassy roast at some stage over the holidays. I wish I had done it years ago when my kids were little so I could have spent more time playing with them instead of busy cooklng.
would love this! how do you find one open xmas day?
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I normally do dinner for around 20 and yes we sit at the table
I’m lucky as my formal lounge and dinning room open into a big wide room
I was nominated years ago as I’d the space and a dish cutlery and glasses thing
My dinning chairs might not match but the tables are all the same height
I start almost as soon as I come home from our November/ early December Florida trip starters are a charcuterie board , prawn cocktail and a veggie board for some family members
I make the stuffing in advance freeze daft I know I find sitting quietly with Christ mas music on making stuffing , pigs in blankets theraputic Chuck it on foil trays and wrap and freeze
Gravy the same I make the stock from left over roast chicken and the bones cool skim off the fat make the gravy cool and freeze+in a container it’s the only thing I microwave on Christ mad day
Cranberry sauce made frozen as soon as I see fresh cranberries
If I’ve boiled a ham in the month before Christmas I make the soup and freeze my veggie soup is just a good veggie stock cube /pot and any/veg that needs to be used. Cooked and wizzes into a creame type soup and frozen
I do cook a turkey crown , rib roast , gammon joint on Christmas Day
I use as much disposable stuff as possible never use it the other 364 days
My Christmas indulgence sitting in the kitchen with carols from the kings preparing the potatoes and veg for Christmas Day in total peace
I set the tables around the 23 when I clean the formal loung dinning room
Dils or other family members are in charge of desserts wine crackers etc
We eat at 5 as it’s what suits the 3 diabetics in the family
Oh and I don’t clear away DH does that and loads our 2 dishwashers
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I normally do dinner for around 20 and yes we sit at the table
I’m lucky as my formal lounge and dinning room open into a big wide room
I was nominated years ago as I’d the space and a dish cutlery and glasses thing
My dinning chairs might not match but the tables are all the same height
I start almost as soon as I come home from our November/ early December Florida trip starters are a charcuterie board , prawn cocktail and a veggie board for some family members
I make the stuffing in advance freeze daft I know I find sitting quietly with Christ mas music on making stuffing , pigs in blankets theraputic Chuck it on foil trays and wrap and freeze
Gravy the same I make the stock from left over roast chicken and the bones cool skim off the fat make the gravy cool and freeze+in a container it’s the only thing I microwave on Christ mad day
Cranberry sauce made frozen as soon as I see fresh cranberries
If I’ve boiled a ham in the month before Christmas I make the soup and freeze my veggie soup is just a good veggie stock cube /pot and any/veg that needs to be used. Cooked and wizzes into a creame type soup and frozen
I do cook a turkey crown , rib roast , gammon joint on Christmas Day
I use as much disposable stuff as possible never use it the other 364 days
My Christmas indulgence sitting in the kitchen with carols from the kings preparing the potatoes and veg for Christmas Day in total peace
I set the tables around the 23 when I clean the formal loung dinning room
Dils or other family members are in charge of desserts wine crackers etc
We eat at 5 as it’s what suits the 3 diabetics in the family
Oh and I don’t clear away DH does that and loads our 2 dishwashers
Great post and some great ideas
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skinnybaby View Post
Wondering why you would be reading and replying on the Christmas forum then...
Not everyone reads by forum , some read the Dibb by today’s or new posts …..just like Christmas dinner we are all different
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, Firstxmastrip, there are quite a few indian takeaways open as being from a different cuiture they don't celebrate Christmas. Try it, you won't regret it.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I cooked curry last Christmas but that's because it was just the two of us and it was too sad otherwise.

It's funny I have always prioritised having a dining table that can be pulled out to big enough for all the family to sit round, not just for Christmas though.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I love setting the table with my Christmas cloth, 'best' glasses, crackers, table gifts etc - I do it on Xmas Eve afternoon if possible and I also do all the meal prep then too.
I do fairly easy starters - pate, smoked salmon etc, I get some help from M&S for cauliflower cheese, pigs in blankets etc, and desserts for those who don't eat xmas pud; and like others I use disposable trays (once a year!) so there's less clearing up, which DD and DH do.
Everything is served in tureens/serving dishes at the table around 2pm, and we have plenty of fizz on the go.
We used to have more people round the table, but with DS and family living away and work commitments, they always visit during December and we have a special extended family meal then too, we lost mum a few years ago so now there's only 4 of us on the day - but I still do everything as if there's a houseful
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 10:25 AM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
I love setting the table with my Christmas cloth, 'best' glasses, crackers, table gifts etc - I do it on Xmas Eve afternoon if possible and I also do all the meal prep then too.
I do fairly easy starters - pate, smoked salmon etc, I get some help from M&S for cauliflower cheese, pigs in blankets etc, and desserts for those who don't eat xmas pud; and like others I use disposable trays (once a year!) so there's less clearing up, which DD and DH do.
Everything is served in tureens/serving dishes at the table around 2pm, and we have plenty of fizz on the go.
We used to have more people round the table, but with DS and family living away and work commitments, they always visit during December and we have a special extended family meal then too, we lost mum a few years ago so now there's only 4 of us on the day - but I still do everything as if there's a houseful
Table gifts? What kind of gifts are they? Thats such an amazing idea 😍
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I've always done it from when we first married (1977!) - they are usually something small I can wrap nicely and sit on the plates when I set the table. Sometimes just a whisky or baileys miniature, or the small Hotel Choc / Thorntons mini boxes of chocs or small treats. Tiny joke toys when the kids were small. Anything not too expensive, they can all be the same or individual as long as they're wrapped nicely.
I've used the very large gold wrapped chocolate coins as coasters (about 4") and no one realised till halfway through the meal
I also put things in the crackers too - lotto cards rolled up, a few quality street etc. DS only realised a few years ago, that it was me - when he was growing up he just though we bought very posh crackers!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Also curious on this…. It sounds like a good idea.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List