Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Oct 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Disney v Universal

Hi All,

Flights and car booked, on the hunt for a villa. Last thing on the main list will be Park tickets. So, my 2 children will be almost 10 and 7 when we come to go next August. We have done Disney on the last 2 visits and on this next trip we are considering Universal. We can't afford both Disney and Universal and probably not practical timewise either.

Both kids love theme parks and my 7 year old daughter is pretty fearless plus my 10 year old son is a Harry Potter fan. I know its a personal decision but if anyone has experience which can help inform it would be appreciated.

Regards

Pete
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

There was a big thread on this recently...

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1205761

FWIW, you can get both Universal and Seaworld tickets for the same price as Disney. If you think you'll like the rides/attractions there, I'd go for it since you've already done Disney.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

You can get Universal and also Discovery Cove ultimate non swims for around the price of a Disney 14.

Disney = 4 parks and 2 water parks.. £430

D.C. + Universal = 4 parks and 2 water parks.. and Discovery Cove plus free parking on all SW, BG, AQ, D.C. visits. £275 + £180 maximum and £140 minimum depending on dates.. £455 maximum

At the end of the day it’s a question of research and deciding what your family wants most. Either option is good, but the heights of your children (ride limitations) may influence any choices.. clearly a lot of the Universal/SW/BG rides are 54” plus.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:54 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie moomoo
VIP Dibber

Ooo that's hard.

Myself and my daughter love Harry Potter. Without the Harry Potter areas we would not have went to the Universal parks at all last trip.
Without them we definitely wouldn't be returning. It's definitely personal preference but we found the rest of both parks lacking.

With a 7 year old girl Id be feeling the pull to Disney.

Also something I wanted to mention, not sure where your looking at Villas but most seem to be at the far end of Disney property. The drive to and from Universal is quite a bit longer than to any of the Disney parks.
If you were 100% doing Uni only I would be tempted to book a suite or condo type accommodation near by

DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Sept 2013. DLP, Sequoia lodge, GF, Oct 2014. DLP, Santa Fe, May 2015. DLP, Sequoia Lodge GF. May 2016. DLP, Sequoia Lodge. Aug 2017. Les Alicourts Resort 2017 WDW, Caribbean Beach Resort. Sept 2018 Camping La croix du vieux pont 2018 DLP, Sequoia Lodge, GF. Aug 2019.
WDW, Port Orleans Resort, Grande Villas Resort, Cabana Bay Resort. Aug 2022 DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Aug 2023. Les Alicourts Resort 2023

Edited at 03:54 PM.
minnie moomoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

With a fearless 7yo and a big Harry Potter fan I think it’s a no brainier. Universal all the way. The parades aren’t a patch on Disney, but I think that you have to be a massive Disney fan to appreciate them anyway. We always tended to use them to beat the queues for rides. The theming isn’t quite Disney quality except for HP. That, to me, at least equals Disney if not beats it hands down. A change in scenery is good and prevents the kids getting bored. I think that without mixing it up it can become very samey.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

mmm.

As you have done Disney, I'd be tempted to do Universal (and possibly Seaworld/Aquatic/Busch too). Universal is a different vibe - I feel it has a more grown up feel and it has quite a few thrill rides that may be out of bounds due to height restrictions which will be worth checking. If your family are Harry Potter fans, that area and theming just amazing.
My boys love universal but even now at 15/17 they say Disney has the "magic" and still want to go...
Tough decision!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Thank you everyone for your contributions, it is appreciated.

Thanks Loldis for the link to the other thread and I will take a look.

I absolutely take the point about research and something I enjoy. For me getting other opinions and experience is part of that and something you can't necessarily get off a website. Having said that one of the issues will clearly be about rides and height restrictions, so something for me to consider. Even though my daughter is quite tall I think she will fall slightly short of the 54 inches even taking into account growth between now and next August.

It may be that we will be 12 months too early to get the most out of Universal but will research and Disney of course still has plenty to offer.

It's not a bad dilemma to have in the scheme of things

Thanks Again.
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

Don’t forget there’s all the new stuff at Disney - Ratatouille is fun, we did that in DL Paris, and Galaxy’s Edge. You’ll have years and years to enjoy Universal but your kids won’t be seven and ten again and up for the special Disney magic…
AhoyShipmates is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Agree with Ahoy

Personally I think 7 is the limit really for character interactions and by 10-12 they are definitely over them unless they really like Disney. At 7-10 I'd try them again with Disney one last time the theming is second to none. Then you might be able to get both on all the rides at the other theme parks in 1-2 years time.

Old 18 Oct 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Universal and maybe get a single ticket go MK for the day to cover all angles.
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List