Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Day 4 - Epcot, CBR, Disney Springs and Animal Kingdom

There's food from lots of places today as we split up for part of the day. Izzy wanted to get a henna tattoo from Epcot and then pop to Disney Springs to buy a couple of things. So, we had breakfast in the room and then left the boys at CBR and headed out for a bit of girly time. Breakfast looked like this:

We got to Epcot at around 12pm and discovered that the henna artist didn't start until 1pm. So, to kill a bit of time we checked out a couple of the food booths using some of our snack credits. From France we had:
Me - Tarte à l’Onion Alsacienne: Alsatian Onion Tart with Sautéed Onions, Fresh Thyme and Rosemary on a Flaky Puff Pastry Crust.
Izzy - Poulet aux Écrevisses, Riz Pilaf: Baked Chicken with Crawfish served with Rice Pilaf.

The tart was okay, but nothing special. Couldn't really taste the thyme and rosemary tbh. A nice enough snack, but not one I'd go back for. Izzy, on the other hand, loved hers. I don't eat seafood, but tried a bit of chicken and rice and it was really tasty. She scoffed the lot and would happily eat it again. It was a decent sized portion too.

In Japan we had:
Me: Frushi: Fresh Pineapple, Strawberry and Melon rolled with Raspberry Coconut Rice, sprinkled with Toasted Coconut and Whipped Cream on the side.
Izzy: Beef Teriyaki Udon: Thin-sliced Beef, Onions and Noodles tossed on the grill with Soy and Ginger.

Not being a seafood eater, frushi is the closest I'll ever get to sushi It was unusual, but quite tasty. I'd have liked more of the toasted coconut on it. Would I order it again? Probably not. Feel like I've 'been there, done that' now. Izzy wasn't a fan of the beef and noodles, so I ate it. Again, I didn't think it was anythjng too special, but it was pleasant enough.

When we got to Disney Springs Izzy said she was hungry still and wished she'd got some chips from the fish and chip shop in the England pavilion as she prefers chunky (proper) chips to fries. So, we popped to Cookes of Dublin and used a snack credit for a portion of chips, and got 2 cups for iced water. When the chips came out, it was a huge portion! We both tucked in and still didn't finish them.

We also stopped in at Sprinkles to get my free birthday cupcake. There was a decent selection and I chose the coconut one which I ate later on. It was very tasty and I didn't find the frosting too sickly like I do with Disney cupcakes.

Meanwhile, back at CBR, the boys had lunch. Some of my teachings have obviously sunk in as they used their mugs for drinks and swapped the meal drink out for a snack. I felt like a proud mother They had:
Andy - Chilli cheese hot dog with fries, followed by a brownie
Brodie - Burger with lettuce and tomato with fries (which Andy ate), followed by a cookie

Andy said the hot dog was really good and he'd have it again. Definitely better than the mahi sandwich. Brodie was happy with his burger too.

Dinner was at Animal Kingdom. We struggle here a bit as we can't go to Flame Tree BBQ due to Izzy's aversion to smoked food and smells, and also can't go to pizzafari as she doesn't eat pizza. Andy and I like yak and yeti, but it's not great for the kids, plus it was so hot out that we wanted somewhere with air conditioning. So, we headed over to Restaurantosaurus. We ordered:
Me - chilli cheese fries using a snack credit. I added some fresh tomato from the toppings bar.
Andy - Double Angus bacon cheese burger with fries.
Izzy - Plain Angus burger with fries.
Brodie - Chicken nuggets and fries.

Not the healthiest selection of food, but it was all tasty and hit the spot Brodie was also happy to have a change from burgers! I also came across our first ever qsdp restricted item. Apparently the standard bacon cheeseburger is included on the plan but the double one isn't. The CM was a lovely man from Yorkshire and figured out a way to put it through for us though

Tomorrow - back to Hollywood Studios and dinner at Rainforest Café.
I was going to say that the double cheeseburger wasn't included in the dining plan last summer when we were there. Nor were the chilli cheese fries - these were classed as a 'premium' snack. So you did well to get them. I'm sure it depends on how obliging the CM is, though.

Great report.
I had a nice pomegranate salad from Pizzafari last year - if you're looking for AK ideas. We also enjoyed the choc chip pancakes for breakfast at CBR, but found them easily big enough to share.

You'll have to look out for the Ant and Dec Saturday Night winners at CBR this week. They fly out tomorrow.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Camsmummy View Post
Loving this report and well done for updating it daily! I'm surprised about the burger not been included on QSDP I thought everything from a QS restaurant was? Also when you have cereal for breakfast did you take your own bowls and spoons or can you get them from the food court? I am definitely going to do this in August😀
Yes, we were surprised too. It's the first time I've come across an exclusion on the qsdp. I couldn't even see it on the menu boards to start with as it's not pictured. There's just a line of writing under the normal bacon cheeseburger. I'd looked at the online menu first which was the only reason I was actually looking for it. Andy was quite podged afterwards though and said that the standard bacon be would have done him.

With regards to bowls and spoons, we've brought our own plastic picnic bowls but get spoons from the plastic cutlery dispensers at the food court

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
I was going to say that the double cheeseburger wasn't included in the dining plan last summer when we were there. Nor were the chilli cheese fries - these were classed as a 'premium' snack. So you did well to get them. I'm sure it depends on how obliging the CM is, though.

Great report.
I had a nice pomegranate salad from Pizzafari last year - if you're looking for AK ideas. We also enjoyed the choc chip pancakes for breakfast at CBR, but found them easily big enough to share.

You'll have to look out for the Ant and Dec Saturday Night winners at CBR this week. They fly out tomorrow.
The chilli cheese fries are still a snack (snack symbol still on the menu board) and fine to get with a snack credit, which is what we did yesterday. I think they become a 'premium' snack when peoole try to swap their drink for a snack credit.

The salad sounds good and right up my street, but as there's nothing Izzy will eat from there it's not somewhere we're likely to go

Will look out for the winners. We've got tickets to be part of the live show audience, so really excited about that too. Think it will be such a unique experience

loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Camsmummy
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Yes, we were surprised too. It's the first time I've come across an exclusion on the qsdp. I couldn't even see it on the menu boards to start with as it's not pictured. There's just a line of writing under the normal bacon cheeseburger. I'd looked at the online menu first which was the only reason I was actually looking for it. Andy was quite podged afterwards though and said that the standard bacon be would have done him.

With regards to bowls and spoons, we've brought our own plastic picnic bowls but get spoons from the plastic cutlery dispensers at the food court
Thanks for replying so quickly,I won't trouble you anymore lol
I am sure many of us on here really appreciate your reports especially for us having QSDP for the first time this year it's really helpful
Enjoy the rest of your holiday
Camsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Great report so far. Thanks for taking the time to share
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Fantastic updates. x
Old 3 Apr 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Outback looks great! Great choice of first off-site meal. It's such a thrill venturing off-site and eating somewhere you've seen so many Dibbers frequent, you feel like a celeb! Hope you got some bargains at the Character Warehouse!

Can't really blame Brodie for his burger tally, they are so yummy!

Restaurantosaurus is our QS of choice in AK too. I appreciate the variety on offer there but OH is a bit picky.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Day 5 - Hollywood Studios, CBR and maybe Rainforest Café

Day 5 isn't over yet, but thought I'd make a start on it whilst sat by the small pool in Jamaica at CBR. The plan for today was Hollywood Studios and dinner at RFC at Disney Springs. However, we're all feeling so stuffed after snacks and a very late (4pm) lunch so we're not sure whether we'll make it. If not, we'll go another day. I've got a Landry's card, so no adr fee to worry about

Breakfast was in our room again and looked like every other in room breakfast we've had:

I was gutted when Starring Rolls closed as thought it would mean the end to the fruit tart that I loved, however, I discovered that they still sell it across the road in the Trolley Car Café, aka Starbucks. So, we popped there for a snack and they let me swap 1QS credit for 3 snacks They also sell the much loved carrot cake cookie (RIP Writers Stop) at Sunset Sweets, so I mentioned that to Andy as he's a big carrot cake fan. Brodie just wanted an ice cream. So, we got:
Me: Fruit tart and largest sized double chocolate chip crème drink (my first ever Starbucks drink as I don't drink coffee) from the Trolley Car Café
Izzy: Lemon pound cake from the Trolley Car Café - that made up the 3 snacks for 1QS credit.
Andy: Carrot cake cookie (1 snack credit)
Brodie: Mickey ice cream sandwich (1 snack credit)

Izzy and Brodie had a nibble of theirs before I got the camera ready! My fruit tart was delicious, as it always is. I'm so pleased it's still available The drink was good too. From the description I was expecting it to be quite thick, creamy and sickly, but it wasn't at all. It was huge though so I shared it with Brodie. Andy enjoyed the carrot cake cookie, but did find it sickly due to the sheer size of it. He said that half the size would have been better. I did point out that he didn't have to eat it all, but he just looked at me like I was mad Izzy had tried the lemon cake last year, so was pleased to see it available and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Mickey ice cream sandwiches are scummy, so Brodie was a happy boy. We sat in the Starring Rolls seating area to eat it, and the children's history teacher sat at the table next to us! It really is a small world sometimes

A quick tip for those that like their free iced water - the Trolley Car Café (Starbucks) will do you large sized ones (the same size as their large drinks), but they also have a water dispenser and cups that anyone can help themselves to without needing to queue.

We'd planned lunch at Hollywood Studios, but we're still feeling quite full from our snacks when we were ready to leave, so we decided to have a late lunch at CBR.

We used our mugs for drinks and swapped the drinks for snacks. We ordered:
Me: Caribbean salad with chicken and a dark chocolate, nuts and sea salt Kind bar. The list of what's included in the Caribbean salad can be seen in the photo below.
Andy and Brodie: Large pizza - half just cheese and half pepperoni with a chocolate chip cookie and oats and raisin cookie.
Izzy: Pasta with Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken and a bread stick, with a croissant for her snack (sorry, no photo).

The salad was nothing special at all. The chicken was dry and tough and the heart of palm was odd. The nicest part was the orange segments and plantain chips. Again, it just really made me miss the create your own salad station at POR as I had many delicious salads from there last year. Izzy enjoyed her pasta again, but it just makes me think of the POR pasta which is far superior. While I'm comparing, the snack/dessert options are also better and more varied at POR. I'm hoping that the refurb of the CBR food court might bring it in line with POR, as at the moment I'm not overly impressed.

The best thing we got was the pizza which was huge and tasty. I had a couple of slices too. Even though the large pizza doesn't show on the CBR menu any more, they still do it if you ask. If 2 or more of you are planning on having pizza, then it's much better value to ask for this. The 'large pizza slice' on the menu is basically a quarter of a large pizza. So if 2 of you have the pizza slice' meal you'll use 2QS credits and basically get half a pizza. 2 credits will get you a whole large pizza if you ask. It includes 2 drinks, but we swapped them for cookies. No brainier as far as I'm concerned

So, it was around 5pm by the time we'd finished our late lunch, hence the reason why we might not make it to Rainforest Café tonight. I'll update with whatever we do decide to do though

Quick update - we didn't make it to Rainforest Café. Andy finished off the cold pizza, I ate my kind bar and we used 2 more snack credits on a croissant and tub of pineapple - sorry, no photos.

Edited at 12:37 PM.
Old 3 Apr 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
The fruit tart looks lovely.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 17, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Oh that pizza looks yum and a good tip on getting the whole pizza. Now I want pizza for breakfast 😝😳
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List