Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jul 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening - Men only

This information is for Men only over the age of 65. Women do not need this procedure done.

I had this test yesterday which basically is broadly similar to what ladies have when they are scanned whilst pregnant namely an ultrasound. Takes about 10 mins and Men should be contacted by the NHS once they are past their 65th Birthday.

This is an absolute lifesaver as evidence shows a burst artery in this area is rarely survivable.

The procedure looks for bulges and enlarged areas along this major artery in the mid to lower chest area. Circa 1 person in 1000 needs to see a Consultant after the scan so it's not worth worrying unduly about having it done.

Just a heads up for anybody who hasn't been contacted or is uncertain of having it done.

I know another Welsh Dibber had it done earlier this year as we spoke on messaging about it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

This is what killed my Dad,he was fit and healthy and just like that,he collapsed and died.This could be a life saver.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Had this test done about 6 years ago. Absolutely painless but potentially life-saving procedure. Get it done when 'invited' guys, you know it makes sense.
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I have never heard of this, looks like Wales is ahead again.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Its such an important test - I know 2 people (both women, both very fit and active) that died from this so it really needs everyone to be tested when they hit a certain age
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Its such an important test - I know 2 people (both women, both very fit and active) that died from this so it really needs everyone to be tested when they hit a certain age
Wonder why they don't test women then? Perhaps it doesn't show up the same.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Sue. This is a straight lift off the Wales NHS site -

Men are six times more likely to have an AAA than women and becomes increasingly common with age

So I suppose the answer lies in the risk factor and as always cost as well.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I think its on request, my BIL had one at 60 and my GP said I will get one at same age (a few years off yet lol) and my sister had one at 55 ! All different NHS trusts

(One of the benefits of being adopted is that without any family medical history they can screen you for everything on request and get free eye tests and discounts on specs (I only found that out recently by my excellent GP))

Edited at 10:26 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I've had this screening - following a loss of vision due to a blocked vein in my eye I had a full MOT.

One of the tests picked up on my low heartbeat, at rest I'm usually under 40, during sleep dropping under 30.

The initial screening was ultrasound which picked up something, went back for a full MRI. Turned out I have a two flap valve instead of a 3 flap valve and minimal enlargement of the artery. I will be checked every 2 years instead of the recommended 5 from now on.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

DH had his a couple of years ago (England).

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List