Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Aug 21, 05:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Double checking.. passports.

I just come across the ESTA thread where someone’s had problems and read that you should do it at least 6 months out so thought I just double checked our passports and apply for my sons new passport as his has expired in 2020.

However, my daughters expires on 22 nov 2022.

If she needs 6 months on it then il need to renew it too as we return on the 9th June 2022 and 6 months before would be 22nd May 2022.

I googled and read this…. So does that mean aslong as her passport is valid during our stay it’s ok?

I just want to make sure I’m reading it right. Sorry for double checking everything. Iv never had a passport close to expiry while travelling before.

•••••••••••

How long do you need on your passport to travel USA?

The answer is this!

When traveling to the USA, the general rule is to have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the planned time of return.

However, there are some countries, citizens of which can enjoy a bit more freedom regarding their passport expiry rules when traveling to the USA. For citizens of these countries, the passport validity must only cover the time of their intended stay in the States.

Countries who are subject to this rule are:

Lots of counties along side the UK.
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Passports only need to be valid for length of stay in the US.

People generally recommend doing the ESTA six months before in case there are any issues and you need to apply for a visa instead. Although at the moment, it's not possible to get a visa appointment. But regardless, the recommendation is not related to passport expiry.

Edited at 07:46 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Passports only need to be valid for length of stay in the US.

People generally recommend doing the ESTA six months before in case there are any issues and you need to apply for a visa instead. Although at the moment, it's not possible to get a visa appointment. But regardless, the recommendation is not related to passport expiry.
Thanks. Although I couldn’t sleep last night I still couldn’t work out if I was reading it right!

I will just renew my sons passport then
Old 3 Aug 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Just a quick one does your daughters passport start from November too. Just mentioning as I need to renew my lot in Sept as we lost a few months due to leaving EU so mine for example started in July but on passport end in Oct. They now would end in July just thought worth mentioning x
Old 3 Aug 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Just a quick one does your daughters passport start from November too. Just mentioning as I need to renew my lot in Sept as we lost a few months due to leaving EU so mine for example started in July but on passport end in Oct. They now would end in July just thought worth mentioning x
As far as I'm aware, this is actually an EU-specific (excluding ROI) rule. Passports need to be both less than 10 years old and not expire within the next 6 months to travel to the EU. Which is why the extra renewal months no longer count there.

The US only require a valid passport for length of stay. Their travel rules for us have always been specifically set with the UK, not the EU. So Brexit did not change this.
Old 3 Aug 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
As far as I'm aware, this is actually an EU-specific (excluding ROI) rule. Passports need to be both less than 10 years old and not expire within the next 6 months to travel to the EU. Which is why the extra renewal months no longer count there.

The US only require a valid passport for length of stay. Their travel rules for us have always been specifically set with the UK, not the EU. So Brexit did not change this.
Oh that is good to know, so anywhere other than Europe the passports are still valid?
Old 3 Aug 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Oh that is good to know, so anywhere other than Europe the passports are still valid?
I believe so but always check any country's entry requirements beforehand to be safe.
Old 3 Aug 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa

I’m going to double check still when I get at back home
Old 3 Aug 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Also make sure you go from 10 years from date of issue. Extending of passports when renewing is causing an issue post Brexit. We were denied boarding just last week for this very reason.
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List