Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Aug 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Very general usa plans other than florida

I have in recent years been moving away from Orlando, booking West Coasts, East Coasts, Major Cities, all sorts of stuff. Whilst we have not abandoned Orlando totally, it has now shrunk to just 7 days of our 15, next Easter.

The (hopeful) purpose of this thread is that Dibbers can share their plans, aborted plans and cancellations that have either been executed or at least reached the very detailed planning stage where they had a route, hotels, attractions, methods of travel between points etc.
Other can then look at these abbreviated ideas in a central location (here) and per(apps take some of the ideas forward into their own vacations.

I ask politely that purely Orlando vacations are excluded as there are amply researchable elsewhere. Those with ‘bits’ of Orlando are fine.

I will start…

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1197381
This link is to a rather straightforward vacation that is all signed up and paid for and is simply an arrival in Toronto, a mega bus round to Niagara Falls, a flight from Buffalo to Orlando and later, a drive with overnights at Crystal River, Next to Busch Gardens, Venice, Naples and finally, a flight home from Miami.

Key aspects are…
1. The price of the flights in Easter School Hols 2022 driving some lateral thinking.
2. Niagara being on the ‘Bucket List’.
3. Probably our last family Florida and thus rather important.
4. A wish to see the Southern Gulf Coast one last time.

If this vacation floated your boat, you could have every single aspect booked within the hour!

Over to the next poster!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:26 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We’ve done various road trips including;

New England, Cape Cod and Woodstock/Bethel Woods
Washington and the Outer Banks
North and South Carolina, Hilton Head
Nashville, Memphis and the Blues trail
New Orleans and the Panhandle
California San Fran/ LA and San Diego
Vegas and Yosemite
New York and Boston
Miami and the Keys
Of course WDW and the east and west coast of Florida
Plus Toronto, across Canada and cruise Alaska

A lot of places but these are just the North America ones, happy to share our thoughts but badly missing our travels
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We have a trip booked for May that centres around Pinehusrt in North Carolina.
We have BA flights to Raleigh Durham from Glasgow via Heathrow. Booked with avios and with AA as the carrier from Heathrow , who we like and get to pick seats free of charge.
We have an Airbnb booked for 13 nights and car hire from Andy over in the transport section.
We were looking at breaking it up for a few nights and looked at Myrtle Beach or Gatlinburg but we have decided against and gone for a 3rd option. My dh would like to do the full 3 days of a baseball match rather than just 1 , so we are looking at either Washington ( as I fancy seeing the sights) or Pittsburg as it has an amazing ballpark. Either of these we will drive.

We did pinehusrt in 2019 and twinned it with Hilton Head Island which we loved.

I really enjoy the place. It is so peaceful and welcoming.

We should have been heading out to the west coast on Thursday on a trip we had moved , and tweaked, from December 2020.
We were flying to LA ( avios 2 for’s in first class) then we had 3 nights in Anaheim for Disney ( first time) . We were then heading to Vegas for 3 nights ( been loads of times) , then a night in Sedona, 3 nights in Phoenix then finishing off with a week in Palm Springs where we love. We cancelled this in February as we wanted to be in control as the holiday losses of the previous year were awful as I turned 50 and what we had booked obviously didn’t go ahead. Turns out we were right to cancel as not a chance we would have got.

Edited at 05:19 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We’ve done various road trips including;

New England, Cape Cod and Woodstock/Bethel Woods
Washington and the Outer Banks
North and South Carolina, Hilton Head
Nashville, Memphis and the Blues trail
New Orleans and the Panhandle
California San Fran/ LA and San Diego
Vegas and Yosemite
New York and Boston
Miami and the Keys
Of course WDW and the east and west coast of Florida
Plus Toronto, across Canada and cruise Alaska

A lot of places but these are just the North America ones, happy to share our thoughts but badly missing our travels
Already, their are some locations that I will be chasing you up on at a later date (2022 is already planned with October being our 3 times cancelled West Coast)… Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
We have a trip booked for May that centres around Pinehusrt in North Carolina.
We have BA flights to Raleigh Durham from Glasgow via Heathrow. Booked with avios and with AA as the carrier from Heathrow , who we like and get to pick seats free of charge.
We have an Airbnb booked for 13 nights and car hire from Andy over in the transport section.
We were looking at breaking it up for a few nights and looked at Myrtle Beach or Gatlinburg but we have decided against and gone for a 3rd option. My dh would like to do the full 3 days of a baseball match rather than just 1 , so we are looking at either Washington ( as I fancy seeing the sights) or Pittsburg as it has an amazing ballpark. Either of these we will drive.

We did pinehusrt in 2019 and twinned it with Hilton Head Island which we loved.

I really enjoy the place. It is so peaceful and welcoming.

We should have been heading out to the west coast on Thursday on a trip we had moved , and tweaked, from December 2020.
We were flying to LA ( avios 2 for’s in first class) then we had 3 nights in Anaheim for Disney ( first time) . We were then heading to Vegas for 3 nights ( been loads of times) , then a night in Sedona, 3 nights in Phoenix then finishing off with a week in Palm Springs where we love. We cancelled this in February as we wanted to be in control as the holiday losses of the previous year were awful as I turned 50 and what we had booked obviously didn’t go ahead. Turns out we were right to cancel as not a chance we would have got.
If you choose Washington, then I and doubtless others can help you with the sights, Smithsonians, Hazy Centre , an interesting Hotel, airport options etc. Other Dibbers have experience of the Capitol guided tour also.

Old 22 Aug 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

CFB
Have you done any Texas holidays yet, we found the area of Big Bend NP truly fascinating, it's along way from anywhere but other great places around.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
CFB
Have you done any Texas holidays yet, we found the area of Big Bend NP truly fascinating, it's along way from anywhere but other great places around.
We intend tieing in a bit of Texas with a start point at Tucson and then a drive across, through Texas, New Orleans, Pensacola (again), Destin (again) and then possibly up to Atlanta.

That is some way ahead, because after 2022, our initial thoughts are SFO for a few days, Honolulu, Maui, San Diego, Home.

There are simply so many choices out there. Perhaps out to Honolulu from Vancouver as we are well familiar with San Francisco!

Decisions, decisions!

Edited at 06:40 PM.
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We want to have another visit to Washington.

A drive from there to/along the Skyline Parkway and onto the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Next big stop would be Nashville and time permitting Memphis.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If going to Nashville don’t miss the Jack Daniels distillery tour at Lynchburg on the way from Atlanta
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Last year we were supposed to do the theme park road trip I promised DS. Now hoping for May/June next year. Not booked anything yet, but the plans have been tinkered with and of course, extended . The plan so far is
Fly into Charlotte ( probably )
Carowinds
Spend 2 days driving Blue ridge parkway to Pigeon Forge
2 days Dollywood
Drive to Holidayworld ( Indiana )
2 days Holidayworld
Drive to Kentucky Kingdom, Kentucky Kingdom
Drive to Kings Island ( Ohio )
Kings Island
Drive to Cedar point ( Ohio )
2 days Cedar point
Drive to Kennywood ( Pennsylvania )
Kennywood
Take 2 days to drive to Kings Dominion ( Virginia ) via Skyline Drive
Kings Dominion
Drive to Busch Gardens williamsburg , BGW
BGW
Either take 2 days to drive back to Charlotte via Blue ridge parkway , or fly home from Richmond Virginia.
It's a lot of driving and I don't particularly enjoy driving, unless it's a quiet , scenic route . I also hate the idea of nothing but themeparks, so the travel days between the parks are going to have lots of stops and take much longer than Google advises. Skyline drive and Blue ridge parkway have been on my bucket list a while , so they've been worked into the itinerary for the sake of a few extra days.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List