Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Angellou
I have Ears

Direct flights or flights with a stop over

Hi,

First time travelling alone and I'm very nervous about it.
Looking for advice about flights as prices are crazy!

I have have found a direct flights with Virgin including luggage and hotel for 16 nights for £1329. 17th nov-03rd dec.

or

Indirect flights with virgin on the 16th Nov-stop over in Boston 1hr 39mins, returning 04th Dec stop over in Detroit 39 mins including luggage and hotel for £1359.

I'm worried that the stop overs times are not long enough for me to get to my connecting flight?
Would i have to collect my luggage after each flight or would it be auomatically moved to the new aircraft?

What are peoples opions on stop overs is it best to lose two days and have direct flights or be brave and go for it?

thanks in advance
Angellou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

The stopovers aren't enough for my comfort either and I take indirect more often than not.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Those connections are too tight. In Boston, you need to clear immigration, collect your luggage, go through customs, then recheck your bags on to the next flight. Normally recommend at least a 3 hour layover for this in case any delays. In Detroit, all you need to do is change planes so it's not as big a deal, but 40 minutes doesn't leave much wiggle room if your first flight is even slightly delayed. Normally go for at least an hour for this, 90 minutes would be better.

For me, I would take the shorter trip and direct flights. 16 nights is still plenty, especially on your own as you don't have to factor in what other people want to do so you can get loads done. If you really want the extra nights, indirect is fine but I would look for flights with longer connections.

Edited at 09:10 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I go on solo trips and always go on direct flights as once I'm on a plane I don't want to get off it till I reach my destination. If I flew indirect I wouldn't be able to relax on the first leg as I'd be worried about missing the second leg due to delays etc.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

You are only going to be saving £30, take the direct flight. If you were saving a few hundred pounds or more then indirect. But to save £30 doing indirect isn't a great saving for the hassle. Go direct.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
You are only going to be saving £30, take the direct flight. If you were saving a few hundred pounds or more then indirect. But to save £30 doing indirect isn't a great saving for the hassle. Go direct.
The indirect flight cost has 2 extra nights hotel, so the actual flight saving would be more if it was a like-for-like. Although based on the average flight cost this time of year, I think the hotel is only around £50/night.

OP... if you have flexibility in your dates, BA have direct flights LGW-MCO 19/11-5/12 so still 16 nights like VS but only £470 including baggage. Adding a basic but clean and well located hotel like Rosen Inn LBV takes the total to £1095. Little bit more (£1177) if you'd prefer to stay at one of their I-Drive locations to be closer to Universal than Disney.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am a very big advocate of cheapest at all times, weighing up a marginally increased time door to door against how many hours I would need to work (and pay tax plus NI on), to make up the difference in cost.

I agree that the outbound layover is too short for comfort. I would certainly want the airline to have more connections later on that day.. just in case I didn’t make the onward flight.

With what you have posted, I would go direct as the financial difference is small and imho, 16 nights is plenty. The fact that you are fretting makes me even more sure that direct is best in this instance.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 05:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Angellou
I have Ears

Thank you for all the replies it is much appreciated, i thought it was going to be tight i just dont want the added pressure so will defo look for direct :-)
Angellou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Angellou
I have Ears

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
The indirect flight cost has 2 extra nights hotel, so the actual flight saving would be more if it was a like-for-like. Although based on the average flight cost this time of year, I think the hotel is only around £50/night.

OP... if you have flexibility in your dates, BA have direct flights LGW-MCO 19/11-5/12 so still 16 nights like VS but only £470 including baggage. Adding a basic but clean and well located hotel like Rosen Inn LBV takes the total to £1095. Little bit more (£1177) if you'd prefer to stay at one of their I-Drive locations to be closer to Universal than Disney.
Thank you so much for the reply i hadnt looked at travelling on the 19th for 16 nights as it would be tight with my work scedule however at that price i think i will make it work
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Am I confused? Your paying more to fly indirect but getting two additional days, is that the point? Personally I’d stick direct, the layover times are tight, and then you don’t have the hassle of indirect flights.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List