Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 30 Apr 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

When will you cruise again?

These are obviously troubling times in general and tourism in particular is badly impacted but I was thinking this pandemic will really have a devastating effect on cruising.

Obviously all cruise lines are "grounded" right now and most have made announcements that they will slowly start to sail again from around July onwards on some itineraries.

It made me think - how many people will rush to cruise again straight away?

I'm sure a lot of people who had their sailings cancelled due to the pandemic will reschedule their trips (although from what I am seeing on some cruising forums lots have only re-booked for next year or even 2022) but what about those who didn't have anything booked?

I've only been on a few cruises in my life but really enjoyed them and wanted to do more. This pandemic hasn't put me off and I will definitely cruise again - although thinking about it I will probably wait until 2021/2022 also to see how it goes and what the experience changes to etc but I was surprised to speak to other friends/family who have a very different view. For example, my dad who has never been on a cruise but had it as a bucket list item (in fact we had been talking about a family Greek Islands cruise for later this year before COVID-19 hit) and he has now said he doesn't think he will ever want to cruise and the pandemic & all the cruise news during has really put him off. Friends who have been on cruises before have also expressed no desire to cruise again so it made me wonder what is in store for the future of the cruising industry.

What do other dibbers think?
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I had one booked at the end of May and would have sailed had the cruise been going ahead. I’ll be rebooking as soon as there is a confirmed date for them to sail again
I would have more issues flying than cruising as you are in much closer proximity to others!
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Possibly, and sad to say, never

We're both mid 70s and have done six cruises over the years. Three Caribbean from Florida, two in the Med and one Canaries.

We'd actually booked P&O Iona for July in the Fiords but cancelled voluntarily and accepted that we lost our deposit.

We've done most of the Caribbean major places but not the Dutch ABC islands. Researched for next Spring and found a couple of options going there.

We've sadly ditched the idea. Not just a perceived fear of being trapped on board but the high risk of exorbitant travel insurance premiums. Bad enough already just for Florida with our ages and two post-cancer PEMCs

Mick
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

If ours goes ahead in August we’ll be on it, assuming we can actually get to it 😱
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
langside
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 54
Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
If ours goes ahead in August we’ll be on it, assuming we can actually get to it 😱
Same situation here - full payment for fly cruise has been made so our best option is just to wait and see what happens - I predict it will be cancelled but we’ll have to wait & see - no point us cancelling yet as we’ll loose out. If they do cancel it we’ll probably have to wait until next August if we do try to cruise due to school commitments and need a o be within school holidays
langside is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I would, I am not worried about the virus. But we are younger and healthy.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I would cruise again but I am a bit wary of getting trapped on board one. I have other goals for next year so it won’t me until 2022 anyway so a bit of time to see how things pan out.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by langside View Post
Same situation here - full payment for fly cruise has been made so our best option is just to wait and see what happens - I predict it will be cancelled but we’ll have to wait & see - no point us cancelling yet as we’ll loose out. If they do cancel it we’ll probably have to wait until next August if we do try to cruise due to school commitments and need a o be within school holidays
Yes same here.

We’ll take a credit and rebook for next August.

Honestly I’ll be very surprised if any trips go ahead in August.

My concern at the moment is that the cruise will be cancelled but the rest of the trip goes ahead and I’ll have to sort out accommodation and car for that week.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Ive just took a cruise credit this morning for our planned cruise in August. Im hopeful that the next cruise booked (Caribbean - back end of year) still goes ahead but there will be clear indicators before the balance is due, so Im keeping options open.

As for next cruise booking... Possibly Summer 2021 to the Med but Im not rushing into booking it.

I also note that Trieste is now being favoured over Venice.

Edited at 12:37 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Ive just took a cruise credit this morning for our planned cruise in August. Im hopeful that the next cruise booked (Caribbean - back end of year) still goes ahead but there will be clear indicators before the balance is due, so Im keeping options open.

As for next cruise booking... Possibly Summer 2021 to the Med but Im not rushing into booking it.

I also note that Trieste is now being favoured over Venice.
We have one booked to Spain and Lisbon in September, balance due next month. I don’t want to pay it but DH does so we don’t lose our deposit if it is cancelled, but I don’t want to pay nearly £3k to wait umpteenth months to get it back. This is with Marella, have read such horror stories on the forums regarding getting in touch. Did you have issued getting through. Won’t let me amend to next year on my booking
. On the other hand just cancelled a Haven caravan holiday for next month. Had the email few minutes ago, rang the number, two rings and was through. The lovely lady I spoke to was so apologetic that it would take 35 days for the refund thinking it was a long time. Bless her, I assured her compared to others it was no time at all. Will book with them again in the future no problem, first time with them as well.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List