View Poll Results: Are you in favour of Smart Meters
Yes 33 34.38%
No 63 65.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Nov 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Whenever they get in contact my response is always the same ' the technology you are using is not advanced enough at this stage' this always makes them back off.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I hate the radio adverts that say smart meters are saving people money - no, they’re not. They simply record the amount of electricity used and surely everyone knows that if you switch more gadgets on you use more electricity?
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We've had ours for a few years, changed suppliers and wasn't compatible, moved back to British Gas, eventually got it reconnected and using it again. We like being able to see what we are spending, getting accurate bills and seeing how much juice is being used at a given time.

When we first got it the kids were interested in seeing how much electricity was used when they had a shower, when the iron was on etc and we did "save" some money by making us more aware of the cost. DH went from a 15 minute shower to a 10 minute shower ! Also at the moment the tariff we are on is slightly cheaper if had smart meter.

So in summary we have nothing against them and will continue to use it.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
I hate the radio adverts that say smart meters are saving people money - no, they’re not. They simply record the amount of electricity used and surely everyone knows that if you switch more gadgets on you use more electricity?
Last time we had to call our supplier to change tariff they were doing a really hard sell to get us to accept one. He bluffed non stop as to how it would save me money. Shut up in the end when I told him I had known since my father kept shouting at me as a child if I turned on an appliance or a light it would cost money. Next thing I knew was a letter with an appointment for a date to change the meter. I rang Lowry Beck and politely and firmly told them I had not requested the change didn’t want the meter. They said they would mark my record accordingly.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

It’s interesting reading these opinions. I don’t care one way or the other although its no hardship to send in my readings, but my dh just flat out refuses. He says he just can’t see the point and in what way does it save money.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

When we were with EDF we were constantly bombarded with requests for us to have one fitted, always declined, was even asked once 'dont you want to save money!’ With Avro now and have not been bothered once in six months or so - yet
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would guess it’s a certain age group that are against them.

Going forward they will be used to allow dynamic pricing. Lower costs in the evening to charge your car etc...
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I would guess it’s a certain age group that are against them.

Going forward they will be used to allow dynamic pricing. Lower costs in the evening to charge your car etc...
As I said before the technology is not yet good enough
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

We have 1 but never look at it. I use the energy I need. I know my tumble dryer is expensive to use - knowing how much is irrelevant when I need to dry my bedding!
Biggest bugbear is that they still send meter readers round. Complained about the 3 monthly visits to read electricity meter & got a cheeky reply from suppliers. Will move elsewhere when contract is up.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
When we were with EDF we were constantly bombarded with requests for us to have one fitted, always declined, was even asked once 'dont you want to save money!’ With Avro now and have not been bothered once in six months or so - yet
How funny, we’re with EDF and I’ve asked for a smart meter a few times and they’ve always told me they won’t fit one 🤷

There’s definitely something up with my EDF account as it never generates a bill no matter when I submit a reading. I have to phone every time and get them to manually bill the account - hence me asking for a smart meter in the hopes it would sort things out.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List