Notices

View Poll Results: Should be have full lockdown , all in tier 4 or carry on the mixed tiers ?
April style lockdown - I am / will be tier 4 by Boxing Day 41 29.29%
Full April style lockdown - I am / will be tier 3 by Boxing Day 28 20.00%
Full April style lockdown - I am / will be tier 1/2 by Boxing Day 10 7.14%
All move to tier 4 - I am / will be tier 4 by Boxing Day 11 7.86%
All move to tier 4 - I am / will be tier 3 by Boxing Day 10 7.14%
All move to tier 4 - I am / will be tier 1/2 by Boxing Day 4 2.86%
Carry on with existing mixed tiers - I am / will be tier 4 by Boxing Day 5 3.57%
Carry on with existing mixed tiers - I am / will be tier 3 by Boxing Day 20 14.29%
Carry on with existing mixed tiers - I am / will be tier 1/2 by Boxing Day 11 7.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Dec 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

England - Should we have a full lockdown on carry on in tiers for now ?

So after today’s announcement of more going up a tier on Boxing Day , what do you think we should do now ?

All go on an April style lockdown with no schools/unis open

All go to current tier 4 ?

Carry on in tiers as we are doing ?

To make it a bit more interesting , I would like you to say what tier you will be in by Boxing Day , between 1/2 , 3 or 4

Please also explain your rationale

Thanks for taking part
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 09:23 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Will be in tier 3 Boxing Day, think tier 4 looming as cases rising again here, think it needs to go back to full lockdown as in April.
It doesn’t sit well with me how people act in shops...I work in a big outlet store a lot of our customers treat it as a lovely day out and then moan at us cos coffee shops shut

Edited at 09:33 PM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Winter can be depressing enough for some, including those who suffer from SAD that I fear a full lockdown during winter months will be a step too far for lots of people. Covid is not the only disease which can kill. At least when this all started the days were longer and getting more so and the weather warmer, so going out for a walk was not so bad for some whereas we are heading into the worst time of year for weather.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I am in tier two and will be one of the few areas still in tier two on Boxing Day, but I do think we need a full lockdown.

Whilst I do value my children’s education and much prefer them being in school, I do feel as though since they’ve been back in school more people seem inclined to ignore the rules (I often hear people saying - ‘what’s the point in not doing such and such if my children are mixing with 30 others everyday’).

Whilst up until now I haven’t felt the schools are a massive spreading risk in and of themselves, I do think them remaining open has given people an excuse to be less careful.

And now with the talk of the new strain being spread more easily amongst the younger generations, I think that is even more reason to close the schools/colleges - as I say, I don’t want this but I equally want the country to recover as quickly as possible with as few lives lost as possible. Its far from ideal but that’s sadly what we are living with at the minute 😢
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JAF View Post
Winter can be depressing enough for some, including those who suffer from SAD that I fear a full lockdown during winter months will be a step too far for lots of people. Covid is not the only disease which can kill. At least when this all started the days were longer and getting more so and the weather warmer, so going out for a walk was not so bad for some whereas we are heading into the worst time of year for weather.
Agreed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
We are moving in to tier 2 from Boxing Day (Cornwall) - I’ve voted to stick with the tiers, but it was a difficult choice to make, as things seems to be changing pretty quickly at the moment

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
dhtah
I want to go now!

My husband and I are both teachers and I have three school age children, one due to take his A Levels in the summer and one half way through his GCSE course.
I think that schools should stay open but with more safety measures in place. At the moment it really feels as if the rhetoric does not match the reality. All of the photos I see on news reports show large classrooms with well spaced out desks and the teacher area well separated from the students. This is not the experience of any of my children as pupils or myself and my husband as teachers. Classrooms sizes have not changed and still have the same number of students in them (the maximum they will hold due to budget constraints). My husband is one of the clinically extremely vulnerable and, because teaching is not a job that can be done from home (whilst students are in school) he is expected to go to work and spend an hour at a time with 5 different sets of 30 students each day, at close quarters. Whilst I understand that shielding was not brought back in as it was felt that some people suffered with their mental health, shielding was never compulsory. By not supporting shielding now, people such as my husband are forced to work in unsafe conditions.
There is no perfect solution, but reducing class sizes by giving secondary schools the flexibility to have a two week on and two week off system (or whatever works best for their timetable or situation) would help to reduce infection in schools. Teachers are now more proficient in teaching groups with students both in school and at home following a term with numerous students isolating. I believe that having a plan in place for hybrid learning would be better than having to alter plans last minute having expected to have students in class then finding out the same day that most of them will be isolating at home, which has been a regular occurrence for many over the last few months.
dhtah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

The results so far

Overall

Lockdown 55%
All tier 4 20%
Stay in tiers 25 %

Split for those in / going in tier 4

Lockdown 65%
All tier 4 20%
Stay in tiers 15%

Those in /going in tier 3

Lockdown 46%
All tier 4 21%
Stay in tiers 33%

Those in /going in tier 2

Lockdown 50%
All tier 4 17%
Stay in tiers 33%

Not surprisingly those already in tier4 or going in tier 4 are less than half as likely to want to stay in tiers than those in tiers 2 and 3
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I would happily take another lockdown if there was some mass military style vaccination program as soon as the AstraZeneca one comes out to get us out of it as soon as possible.
Old 25 Dec 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Schools aren't safe. I fear we'll have further mutations of the disease if they stay open. I'd like to see us move to rotas, no more than 50% of kids in. I think we should be in full lockdown for another 2-3 weeks and then rotas in school and country in T3 or T4 restrictions depending upon level of disease. Track and trace system should move to local authorities.

80% of people at severe risk of death should be vaccinated by end January, but risk of serious disease and permanent disability for many people if its allowed to spread unchecked.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List