Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Jan 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Food Treats?

When I was a child we used to have a treat maybe once a week. If my Dad went to the pub he would sometimes bring us a packet of crisps and a small bottle of coke. About once a month we got a small milky way.

Now kids and adults seem to have daily treats. We are currently working off the Christmas depression gain, my husband is sticking to 1400 calories and sometimes has a Granola bar type treat that he includes in his calorie intake. I am more likely to have a SW hifi bar because I like them.

How often to you have treats, crisps, chocolate, full fat coke, buiscuits, cakes, sausage rolls? Daily, weekly?
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
More junk food as an adult but as a child we got 1 yogurt a week as a treat and fizzy drinks only at Christmas, plus if something ran out we just had to wait for the next weekly shop before it was replenished.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Coke only when I’m out for dinner or have a takeaway so maybe once a month, it’s so bad for you, in the US on holiday was having it everyday & it gives me so much gas 😬😳
Chocolate every day 🙊but only a small bit like 4 squares
Cake if I go to Costa at the Weekend 💕 & dessert after Sunday lunch
Crisps at the Weekend too with a sandwich 😋
Sausage rolls only when I have a buffet

I have willpower Mon-Fri then let myself have treats at the Weekend, I know my DGS is having too much sugar in his diet it’s worrying
When he had breakfast here, he asked for chocolate spread on his toast 😳 I said we don’t have that & gave him dairylea instead
He’s only 3
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Mobile

I only drink full fat coke if we go out for a meal, if I’m at home, we stick to diet drinks if we drink fizzy drinks, but I tend to have cordial or pure orange juice.

Crisps, very rarely nowadays.

Sausage rolls, never, but I have coeliac disease so unless I buy gluten free ones, they’re a no go, but I never liked them anyway!

Cake, again, rarely, we tend to bake some once a month maybe so we have them then.

Chocolate, I do have chocolate most days. Usually alongside my lunch for work (usually soup, pasta or a reheated curry). I don’t have loads though, just a small bit with the lunch.

We usually have a takeaway fortnightly, but it’s either a nandos or an Indian.

I don’t tell to call them treats though, I think if you label something good, bad, junk or a treat then it gives that item a stigma and makes you either feel more drawn to it or you feel guilt when eating it, as it feels forbidden. As long as everything is eaten in moderation alongside a balanced diet, then that’s fine for me.

As a child we always had a cupboard with a pack of Kit Kat’s and a six pack of crisps to last a week, I could eat as many as I wanted (as long as it wasn’t close to meal times), but once it was gone, it was gone. I think this gave me the right balance to enjoy these foods, but in moderation.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

My daughter is a peadiatrician dealing with endocrine and growth disorders as well as childhood obesity.

She doesnt allow the nursery to give the children jam in sandwiches or on toast as she says it has no nutritional value and they can have cheese or ham!

Their snacks are very limited, they eat well at meals but no snacks between. No fruit juice or juice of any kind , milk and water only. They seems to be happy with it.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

I have chocolate every night at about 8pm with a cup of tea. Usually a kit kit chunky or an individual galaxy bar. However I am currently calorie counting and I factor this into my daily intake. It means I make better choices with my meals and eat more fruit/veg through the day.
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tre85 View Post
I have chocolate every night at about 8pm with a cup of tea. Usually a kit kit chunky or an individual galaxy bar. However I am currently calorie counting and I factor this into my daily intake. It means I make better choices with my meals and eat more fruit/veg through the day.
Well done, that is what my hubby is doing to with his granola bar occasionally. We just had lunch and he fancied a piece of cheese for his pud so we got the scales out and weighed it, he was totally shocked at what 100 calories worth of gruyere looked like, one mouthful. He will count it and it helps to know.
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
My daughter is a peadiatrician dealing with endocrine and growth disorders as well as childhood obesity.

She doesnt allow the nursery to give the children jam in sandwiches or on toast as she says it has no nutritional value and they can have cheese or ham!

Their snacks are very limited, they eat well at meals but no snacks between. No fruit juice or juice of any kind , milk and water only. They seems to be happy with it.
My other DIL won’t allow our Granddaughter who is 3 in July to ever have juice, it’s water or milk, if having cake she bakes a special one made with honey, I personally think it’s OTT, but the dentist told them once kids get the taste for it they want it more
This is my son & DIL who have takeaways once a week & he drinks full fat coke nearly everyday
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Well done, that is what my hubby is doing to with his granola bar occasionally. We just had lunch and he fancied a piece of cheese for his pud so we got the scales out and weighed it, he was totally shocked at what 100 calories worth of gruyere looked like, one mouthful. He will count it and it helps to know.
It is all about balance and when you do actually weigh things its surprising how much you over eat (ie take in more calories) without actually being greedy. I factor in the chocolate because I know I have something to look forward to at the end of the day and makes me resist temptation earlier on (most of the time )
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Treats on weekends only as a rule. We eat very carefully during the week-more or less carb free and very low fat, but then eat what we like within reason Fri-Sun (including cake, dessert, chocolate etc).
Mqt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List