Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Jan 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Uber and lyft

Thinking of using Lyft and Uber for our next holiday to Florida if we ever get there.

Do the apps you use in UK work over the pond and are you better linking a credit card that doesn't charge exchange fees.

Also people seem to get lots of discount codes and promotional coupons were do you find them and do the UK ones work in usa

Looked on the Lyft app and seen a thing called pink. It's $20 for month and gives you 15% off rides.

I suppose you could subscribe for 1 month and would soon save that fee

Edited at 05:06 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes the same app works and definitely link a card which does not charge for conversion and preferably one with the MasterCard rate.

Discount codes can get emailed to you by Lyft or Uber and you will often find people handing out vouchers in the US.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I link to a card with no currency charges .
If you’ve not used either before then get an existing user to send you a referral link (you’ll both get a bonus) to just you. Once you’ve used your own account for a ride then refer any other adults in the party yourself to maximise the referral bonus.
I find Lyft far better at sending offers than Uber whilst we are away. Last time we had a 10% offer when we arrived which changed to 25% off for 10 rides after we’d used Lyft from MCO to our hotel.
I wouldn’t pay for discount codes , they will pop up anyway. I wouldn’t break even paying for them anyway.

Edited at 05:39 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Have notice Google maps has both Lyft and Uber back on the maps option with wait time and fare estimator

Edited at 07:48 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I’m going to be terribly rude and jump on a thread, I hope you don’t mind OP but may be helpful for you too?

Has anyone experience of how long you’ve waited at MCO for a Uber /lyft?
Are there issues over luggage? We’ll probably have 3 large cases and wouldn’t want to have a problem getting them in the car!
Can you order them with larger child seats / boosters? My son will be 7 so don’t think he needs a seat in florida, but don’t want him to get in the habit he doesn’t need one!

Many thanks - and I can start my own post if OP prefers
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
I’m going to be terribly rude and jump on a thread, I hope you don’t mind OP but may be helpful for you too?

Has anyone experience of how long you’ve waited at MCO for a Uber /lyft?
Are there issues over luggage? We’ll probably have 3 large cases and wouldn’t want to have a problem getting them in the car!
Can you order them with larger child seats / boosters? My son will be 7 so don’t think he needs a seat in florida, but don’t want him to get in the habit he doesn’t need one!

Many thanks - and I can start my own post if OP prefers
We ordered an XL for 2 of us and 3 cases, there was plenty of room. We ordered once we were outside and it was about a 20 minute wait.

Unfortunately we were in the wrong place so then had to run with the cases to the correct level before our driver left. Not fun in the fl heat, but we made it.

That was the first trip where we relied on Uber/Lyft and we’re now converts, not need to hire a car for the whole period as this was so much easier and cheaper.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
We haven’t used Uber/Lyft in the UK or any place so this is all new to us.
Are they better regulated that they are in the UK? We often decide on using a cab instead as not sure we ‘trust’ Uber... is that just worry over nothing?
Old 19 Jan 21, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by zoemoo View Post
We haven’t used Uber/Lyft in the UK or any place so this is all new to us.
Are they better regulated that they are in the UK? We often decide on using a cab instead as not sure we ‘trust’ Uber... is that just worry over nothing?
Could have written that myself. So I'd be interested in any replies too.
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Waiting times , at MCO I order on the app just before we step outside to the pick up area. Never waited more than seven minutes, usually it’s less than five.
In fact the only time I’ve ever waited any length of time was from Four Corners to MCO at 4am in the morning , the app showed 20 minutes wait , it arrived in 18.

I find Ubers to be faster , cleaner and cheaper than some (most) cabs in Orlando although I’ve also prebooked a cab from the U.K. on recommendation for a specific driver (BC to Osceola courthouse wait and return with a stop at Publix to order a cake ) which was reasonable too with a prearranged rather than metered price.

Uber and Lyft were a gamechanger for us , we don’t pick up a hire car until we are leaving Orlando now, with parking charges we see no benefit in a hire car when doing parks . We usually do a trip to a park and most nights another trip out for dinner and our Lyft bill is always less than we’d have paid for car hire plus parking for our time in Orlando.

I find Uber in the U.K. by comparison abysmal .

Edited at 10:35 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
nicbev
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry to jump on this thread but whereabouts/what level/terminal at mco do Uber/lyft pick you up from? Years ago we booked transportation and we ended up walking round mco airport for ages trying to work out where we had to go.
Many thanks
nicbev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List