Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hello and let’s go...

I have planned a trip to Orlando September 22. BUT aim seriously considering the west coast as an alternative. Not sure where to start. We went in 1983 and stayed with family so accommodation and cars not an issue.

So where to start
Preferably in September Husbands birthday on 5th , our wedding anniversary on the 13th. It was our Ruby last year, but it was spent apart in hospital
Anyway moving forwards

Budget 4.5/5K
I’ve found flights Madrid to LAX £850 return for two ( obviously based in this year so that’s leaves approx
3.5K for everything else!

I’d like to do Universal studios as it’s a memory. Not bothered about Disneyland. We have done Los Angeles , San Diego and Las Vegas. I loved San Diego zoo

So up for alternative places. We are not party people, enjoy city breaks etc and nature

Ok over to the California peeps

Links
Ideas
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We loved SAN Francisco our 5 days were just not long enough Alcatraz and cycling over the GG Bridge were just a couple of out highlights
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Oh I’m so glad someone else hated Vegas
We enjoyed our sons wedding our trip to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon DH did the marathon and we did the mob tour all fine but the actual place we will not return that’s for sure for the same reasons as you
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I agree - I did all that on first visit on a day off and rest of my rest days spent by the pool at the hotel which, thankfully, was off strip and had no fruit machines . It has every it gives I strongly dislike and nothing (except the sun) that I do like. EG my family want a long Nevada & California holiday after al this covid and I will join them for a while and I suggested they fly into Vegas (as they haven’t been) and I will join them in LA or Palm Springs. No wish to be their tour guide in Vegas lol
Vegas done and dusted. One night was, IMHO, suffice for a lifetime
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
What about September for time of year?
Old 22 Jan 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
We love the West Coast - we did a month there in 2018 and it was by far the best holiday we ever had. We covered 1000 of miles and travelled up and down - every town/city was so different to the last. I’d chose it over Florida every day.
However, hotels were significantly more expensive than comparable ones in Florida although there is a lot of choice
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Las Vegas area and the Strip are two very different things. You can easily spend 2 weeks in the area and not go near the strip.

I would definitely look at San Francisco where you can easily spend 3-4 nights and not run out of things to see and do. Yosemite would still be an option at that time of year and can take a couple of days. From there you could come back across and go down the PCH which would take another 2-4 days with overnight stops (maybe 2 in Monterrey and 1-2 down in the Solvang or Santa Barbara area). That will get you into North LA for Universal and all the other things there.

Palm Springs was mentioned, definitely worth a visit for a couple of days to do the nature sights around it. But not really a city we wanted to spend time in.

Really depends on what you like.

Edited at 01:18 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Hi,
We love the West Coast. We started out there going to Vegas, which we love and agree that there is more to it than the strip, however now we would only include Vegas as part of a trip as we have been a lot.
We are fans of Palm Springs, have been 4 times and if we ever came into money we would buy a house there. It is so laid back and lovely. Great hotels , great restaurants and the best outlets we’ve been in 30 mins away. We also love going up to see Pioneertown and Pappy and Harriets for lunch. Just so different from what we have in Scotland.
As MF mentioned The Living Desert is amazing. We went the last visit and fed the Giraffes. So good. Also been to The San Andreas Fault where it bubbles up and The Aeriel Tramway was such a surprise once you get up there.
We also really liked San Diego but now would go for the baseball. Petco Park is such a great experience.
We spent 1 night in Marina Del Rey and walked to Venice Beach but we didn’t really like it.
I couldn’t recommend the PCH enough. We went up to Monterey the ‘inside ‘ road, spent 4 nights up there at a place called Quail Lodge in the Carmel Valley then drove down the PCH to Pismo Beach. The Aquarium is amazing as was the whale watching trip we did where we followed a pod of orca.
We’re not fussed on LA itself or San Fran. Haven’t been to San Fran. The most we might do one day is drive over the bridge and go further north.
I have to add to all of this my dh is a mad golfer so a lot of what we now do is around including golf.
We did a 19 night trip in 2016 where we budgeted £100 a night for accommodation and we did manage this but we did have to be creative. Now we use a lot more Airbnb.
Happy planning. We have actually just cancelled our trip there for sept as we just don’t think it’s viable this year.
That was going to be
2 nights Anaheim as we’ve never been to Disneyland
3 nights Vegas
1 night Sedona
3 nights Phoenix
7 nights Palm Springs but we would’ve prob gone over to San Diego for a night or 2 if the baseball was on.

Forgot the weather. I’m sure it will be lovely. Not been in September usually May but been in October and it was hot.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

How nice to have a planning thread again

Based on what you’ve said, I’d start with considering San Francisco, collecting a car as you leave and then either going into Yosemite and / or travelling down Route 1 with plenty of overnight stops.

I would say Disneyland or San Diego to finish / chill but as you’ve done those or aren’t interested I’d think of somewhere else at the end. That’s just my personal preference to have a bit of a rest before coming home, though!

And / Or: Seattle and Amtrak south? Or even north into Vancouver as an alternative?
Old 22 Jan 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Where would you look for car hire and hotels. Is there a particular chain of hotels to look out for. Air BnB I've used it in UK and Europe never in the States.. anything to lookout for with regards ?

RVs. Anyone done this...?

I'll stick to one thread with questions rather than opening loads