Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 28 Jan 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadMummy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

The change in Harvey when he visited National Star was amazing. His anxiety almost washed away, he seemed very happy to be there after a a short while.

I think Katie is a great mum to Harvey. You don't have the kind of relationship she has with Harvey without years of learning and growing with him.

My brother went to residential college but it was lucky enough to be in the same city, so he came home on weekends. Definitely helped him with his independence.
Old 28 Jan 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I was pleasantly surprised by this programme. I wasn't sure whether to watch as my feeling in the past gas she's used Harvey as and when she's needed him.
This however was all about him and surprisingly no self promotion.
Before watching I would have expected this to be all about 'getting him out of her way' but I honestly feel its not about that. Her love abd devotion to him is clear. The only bit that irked me slightly was that it was obviously based on whether she got the LA funding. Why hasn't she put money aside with the vast amount she must have earned over the years? I know he's entitled to funding but I would want to do everything I could to get my child in a suitable environment. Not one that i was told would get funded.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by this programme. I wasn't sure whether to watch as my feeling in the past gas she's used Harvey as and when she's needed him.
Before watching I would have expected this to be all about 'getting him out of her way' but I honestly feel its not about that. Her love abd devotion to him is clear. The only bit that irked me slightly was that it was obviously based on whether she got the LA funding. Why hasn't she put money aside with the vast amount she must have earned over the years? I know he's entitled to funding but I would want to do everything I could to get my child in a suitable environment. Not one that i was told would get funded.
I wondered about that. I also think his father could pay if Katie can’t.
Anyway, she came across as a very loving and caring person and Harvey is lovely. It was a heartwarming watch but also very sad to be reminded that there’s not a lot of easily accessible provision for adults with additional needs
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

[QUOTE=floridasgirl;14813336]I was pleasantly surprised by this programme. I wasn't sure whether to watch as my feeling in the past gas she's used Harvey as and when she's needed him.
Before watching I would have expected this to be all about 'getting him out of her way' but I honestly feel its not about that. Her love abd devotion to him is clear. The only bit that irked me slightly was that it was obviously based on whether she got the LA funding. Why hasn't she put money aside with the vast amount she must have earned over the years? I know he's entitled to funding but I would want to do everything I could to get my child in a suitable environment. Not one that i was told would get funded.[

I personally have never come across a school/residential facility that accepts self funding. I currently work in a LA home but previously I worked for a private sen school and they did not accept self funding either.
Sadly the LA hold all the cards when it comes to making decisions and parents don’t have the final choice

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

They said it wasn’t as simple as katie funding it herself,the decision will be made by the local authority not Katie
Old 28 Jan 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

She’s also been quite up and down in her finances, I believe, so I imagine she wouldn’t want to sign him up to something that she may not be able to afford over the length of time that he needs it. It would be upsetting to move him. It’s a shame his father isn’t a better dad.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

His father is a complete waste of space. I have never been a Katie fan but she came across as an exceptional mum to him in the programme and clearly wants the best for him. I imagine it has been very hard dealing with it all over the years. She has done an incredibly good job and Harvey came across as a lovely young man with a wicked sense of humour. When he was leaving the Star Academy and said to the teacher 'bye love' he cracked me up. I read in the news that National Rail have asked him to come into one of their stations to do rail announcements too when the virus is over. i bet he will love that.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i think like many i have my opinions on miss prices past life choices etc etc etc

but I was pleasantly surprised by this , her devotion to Harvey was evident

and what a lovely lad he was very very polite & funny.. "oh what a day..."

loved harvey and his pal zack at the train station

hope it all works out for him

Edited at 03:49 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyMadMummy View Post
The change in Harvey when he visited National Star was amazing. His anxiety almost washed away, he seemed very happy to be there after a a short while.
My 17 year old daughter is autistic and has sensory issues herself. We watched this yesterday and she noticed straight away that National Star had sliding doors so he didn't have to worry about them slamming.
Old 28 Jan 21, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

I loved the sheer joy of Harvey and his friend at the Railway Station.

Also have a son with autism and learning difficulties. I felt for them. Transitions are hard.

Edited at 04:49 PM.
ILoveDaveLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List